Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st October 2020, 09:18   #1
hst125
Loves to post

2004 ZTT CDTi manual, 2017 Fiat 500L MPW, 1946 MG TC

Default Kenwood to older stereo swap?

My 2004 has the factory Kenwood cassette head unit controlling what is now a 10 disc changer. I’m not a fan of these Halfords style dashes even though it’s OEM as it were.
Can I retro fit an OEM head unit that will still run the changer? I’ve a plug in Bluetooth adapter for internet radio, iTunes etc, I’ve gone off DAB as most of it was in mono and internet radio is more versatile. Prefer to keep SWCs active too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2nd October 2020, 18:59   #2
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

I believe it is a Kenwood changer and requires a Kenwood radio to operate it, my car originally had a Iovox CR80, with a six disc changer in the boot.

I replaced it with a Kenwood KDC3057U which looks very OEM, and not at all aftermarket, however I needed a SWC adaptor to make those work.

I only wish I had happened upon this thread before I embarked upon the swap.......https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=304112

I would have avoided the pitfalls, many of which were a little too far from my comfort zone.

As I understood it, the original, which is probably what you have fitted to your car, a Kenwood KRC-394??? didn't have a volume knob, rather buttons which I detest, however the sound quality of the Kenwood I replaced the original radio with is superb, and doesn't look like it was from a Halfords display with giant speakers in the boot.

My radio looks like this.....

ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2020, 10:17   #3
hst125
Loves to post

Thank you for the link, I did trawl the site but missed that.
You’re spot on with everything - I dislike buttons, always prefer a round volume control, yes it’s the model you mention too.
I knew I had a load of stereos in the shed removed from various cars over the years, usually I upgraded to Bluetooth and/or DAB. Must be my luck day as I found a Kenwood with what seems like the same socket on the back and it ticks all the boxes, also found a mag mount DAB aerial and a hard wired roof aerial kit.
Going to try a straight swap over the weekend!

Old 3rd October 2020, 17:41   #4
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Wow, big pictures !!

It looks as if you might not need the SWC adaptor, I looked at the Kenwood site and it would appear your new head unit supports the IR remote.

If not, I bought one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252094912052 which works spot on with my head unit.
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2020, 09:57   #5
hst125
Loves to post

I fitted the CD player, straight swap apart from the cage so had to switch that too, all the SWC worked, cd changer too but no control over disc change and kept losing settings despite switching the red/yellow wires so I’ve put the tape back in! Strangely I’d just dug out my old Kenwood Stack System and all my vinyl and cassettes, I tried a few tapes in the car and it sounds superb - so I’ll be keeping the car as is now!
Still got a load of recent model head units going cheap if anyone wants one....