Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th May 2014, 05:44   #11
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5V6 autobox, Rover Streetwise 2.0 DTi, MG ZR160

All right I am getting there slowly.
If I read the above posts correct I have probably a defective antenna. Reebs has seen even a couple of them being defective.
The questions that came up with me are, does the antenna has any electronics in it? So it is not a complete passive unit? Or is it just the cable attached to the antenna what breaks?

I have looked at Rimmers, but I cannot find the Sharks fin, only the ‘Antenna-GPS system’ but this is the antenna for the saloon I guess. Or is it fitted into the Sharks fin?
I have looked here, it is number 13 in the list: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001660
I see also an ‘Isolator aerial’ mentioned for the ‘Tourer Navigation Module & Display Hi’ could it be that this isolator is somewhere in the GPS antenna coax wiring? Perhaps my isolator si isolating 100% at the moment, it is item 2 in the Rimmers list.

Does anyone have the part number of the Sharks fin? Or must I seek for the replacement number of a BMW type what should be the same as I have read in another post.

Thanks upfront for the reply’s and helping me pinpointing the problem.

To get the old Sharks fin off and the new on I expect a fair part of the roof upholstery must be taken lose, that will be some challenge on its own. Or it this a straight forward DIY job ?

Sorry for all my questions...

Rob.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Last edited by robwijnstok; 13th May 2014 at 05:49..
robwijnstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 04:32   #12
JB Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer, MG ZT-T V8, MG ZTV8

Default Sat Nav Reception

I had exactly the same problem on my system some time ago. Mine is fitted in a tourer and it was the sharks fin areal on the roof. Fitted a new one and all was fixed. HOWEVER, check the sharks fin is not letting water leak in where it seals to the base. Look on the top of the CD drive to see if there is any sign of water drops falling into the dust on the top of it.
I didn't fit mine personally so can't comment if there is additional power etc to it. Hope you get is sorted. All the best JB.
JB Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 06:21   #13
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Thanks for your useful reply Jarrad,

I have a Tourer also and I am interested how the Sharks fin has to be replaced, do you know how that was done?
Does a new Sharks fin have long cables fitted to it and must they be replaced also by that way?

Most important to me is that you mention to check that there is no water leak on the base of the Sharks fin.
If I have read your reply well I must check that there are no water drops on top of the CD drive and I must say that some times I actually do have some water drops on top of the CD drive! I was never able to find a leak, and the water drops are not always there. My CD drive is situated on the right hand side above the wheel. I could never have thought myself that water was coming all the way from the base of the fin and find its way to the top of CD drive.

I must still find a replacement Sharks fin so I can replace it. In another thread I have read that the genuine Rover Sharks fin was not available anymore but BMW still does have the same one, but I have to sort out what the part number is.

Rob.
Old 15th May 2014, 06:37   #14
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Hello a Rob,

The part number you need for a new sharks fin is XUC100950 and is still available from a Rimmer Bros

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-XUC100950

It has a short length of wire coming out of it to a connector. Then an extension wire with connector which runs along the headlining to the right hand side of the rear side windows and down into the area where your nav computer lives.

It is possible that the connector has become disconnected at the join though unlikely, but the only way to check is to pull down your headlining to check.

The other thread I linked to earlier contains the RAVE instructions on how to do this. The sharks fin has two connectors one is not used by our cars as it's for the BMW car phone aerial.

Yes the seal on the base of the sharks fin can let water in, and I suppose that might be why it fails. The saloon antenna is always protected and dry under the parcel shelf and I have never heard of one of these failing, but the tourer does seem susceptible.

Here is a picture of the saloon version showing the short wire going to the extension connector.

Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 10:34   #15
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Hi Paul,

I am getting close now…

Regarding to your remark “Yes the seal on the base of the sharks fin can let water in, and I suppose that might be why it fails”, do you recon this is just a matter of a thorough cleaning job of the connector? Or must I accept that the only thing to fix this is a new fin?

Also in another thread is saw someone mention that there are fins with different mounting holes or diameters can you confirm or deny this?

Thanks for you very useful help getting this sorted .

Rob.
Old 15th May 2014, 15:23   #16
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rob, I've never had to change mine on the tourer, so can't speak from personal experience. If it were me, I would drop the headlining and inspect / clean up the connector and unscrew the sharks fin, then re-seat before spending any money on a new one. You might be lucky and cure the problem, if not nothing is lost.

There is only one part number for all tourer sharks fin and locking bolt parts in the Electronic Parts Catalogue, so as long as you go for the part number quoted, you should be fine.
Old 15th May 2014, 17:18   #17
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Thanks Paul, it is clear to me so far.

I expect next Saturday will be an exiting one...

I will be back with my results .
Old 17th May 2014, 19:30   #18
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Today I have stripped the complete system in the back of the Tourer. All Satnav, DVD and Parking Aid components are lose in the back of the car now. This way I could repaint the construction box where all were situated. There was quite some rust I must say. Fortunately the construction has box protected the electronic components from water as far as I can see.

As said by other members the Sharks Fin was leaking. Not the Fin itselve, but the nut was too lose. As a matter of fact I was able to losen the nut by hand and I have seen a leak trail on the inside of the roof from the place where the Fin was mounted.

The coax connector of the Fin was still in proper way connected, and just a tiny bit of corrosion on the end of the ground inside the connector so I think this is not the problem.
If I measure the Fins connector 'live' wire to 'ground' wire I have 57,9 ohms I don't know if that is good.
Because the Fins body is quite corroded on the underside (they did not use any sealant in the factory apperently) I will replace it anyhow. So Monday I will start searching for a brand new one.

My headlining is still lose so if anybody needs a picture, or something else checked above the headlining as reference or so let me know...!

To be continued...

Rob.
Old 22nd May 2014, 18:36   #19
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Today my new GPS antenna arrived.
I did a quick test and the new antenna worked perfect. After a couple of minutes enough satellites were available and my SatNav is working again.

After the test I have removed the new antenna so I can seal the bottom with Loctite (Blue Silicone Sealant) to prevent the bottom side against corrosion. This way I hope to prolong it’s life.

I will try to open the old antenna so I can see if any water or corrosion had found its way to the electronic parts.

To be continued…

Rob.
Old 26th May 2014, 21:00   #20
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Excellent news Rob, I'm glad it turned out to be the antenna. It does seem that these sharks fins can be prone to failure over time, it will be interesting to know what damage if any you find inside the unit.