Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12th March 2018, 13:09   #81
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Housing, Communities and Local Government Secretary Sajid Javid said: "Sir Vince should be trying to bring country together, not seeking to tear it apart."

A Bit like BOJO's comments on the Beijing Olympics..the Chinks have done a good job!

End of free speech as we know it then..
Old 12th March 2018, 17:43   #82
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

When folk post inaccurate information then if they believe what they are saying is truth they, should be prepared to back it up with fact.

An example is post number 2 where macafee2 posed a very valid point..in as much as we already have trade deals in place with the EU, to which you answered "we have to take what we were given", total tosh when we were party to any trade agreements over the past 40 years plus..

I don't see how the Italian election comment could be misconstrued as a view on the referendum. It appears to me that you jumped on it purely because it meets with your own views and again, based on what facts?

Hope you don't take this the wrong way but, I for one would rather base my views on common sense and economic reason as apposed to anti European sentiment which, I fear is disguised as anti immigration sentiment.

As I've said before, I'm too old to care in or out of Europe however, the vote was swayed by anti establishment feeling, racism and generally disgruntled disadvantaged sectors of our society.

What a pity no one has actually laid out the effects of Brexit so we the public could base an informed decision about.
Old 12th March 2018, 17:45   #83
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
Designed to fail so we default to WTO:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/93...European-Union

Hi, don't you have any opinions that come from your own heart and mind in place of posting links..
Old 12th March 2018, 17:58   #84
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
if it is to our advantage I'm all for it but this seems to be dragging on and I hate to think of the cost..
I'll admit to being ignorant of these things.
What new advantages are expected to come with Brexit?

macafee2

Good question, did you notice no one popped up with a definitive answer to your very valid comments macafee2..
Old 12th March 2018, 19:12   #85
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Good question, did you notice no one popped up with a definitive answer to your very valid comments macafee2..
If you mean the question about what new advantages are expected to come with Brexit:

There's a really good answer for that Gordon! Nobody knows!

Rather than pluck guesses from the clouds of confusion and thereby create even more of it, it seems reasonable to allow the negotiators to do their job. To out-guess the only sources that matter is bound for the rocks if Yanis Varoufakis is to be taken seriously. And if anyone should know what he's talking about without having to guess, like so many remainers, he should having been through the mill with the EU negotiators several times.

All the time what's going through my mind is how all the negativity and troublemaking by once eminent leaders does nobody any good except the people our negotiators have to face. That diminishes us all and seems to me it's the fastest way to alienate friends and prejudice future relationships.

What's even more troubling is the insults and prejudice the establishment complainers throw around with no regard for the normal channels - entirely intent on overturning the applecart whatever the cost. That's their version of ' the national interest'! If they win, they don't care about a pyrrhic victory, they are insulated by their wealth.
Old 12th March 2018, 21:27   #86
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

Hi Folks,
I have been reading this forum for a while now and must appllaud the moderators for leaving it open.
I think it was rustymotor who mentioned a long while ago about negotiating a better deal before we had the "Brexit" (a word I hate) vote. Well thanks to (just call me) Dave and his negotiating skills and "Angel" (who is she) Merkel and her intransigent ways that is how "we" ended up with an out vote!
Our way of life cannot be sustained the way it is (thank god) by staying in the EU (is that what we are in now). I agree we will have difficulties when we eventually leave as we are a major contributor and we will have to be penalised to stop anyone else (that is a net contributor) wanting to leave!
As an aside all these hard working "honest" east european`s that come here to do the jobs on minimum pay that "British people don`t want to do is a fallacy! I see it every day, they are as good or as bad as our "British" workers.
Neil
Old 13th March 2018, 06:20   #87
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

DD: So when we are in the EU - you feel having a 1/28 say in what trade deals we have is acceptable?

I don't know because I've not properly researched that aspect, I only know we are members of the EU taken in by the Tory party and given a referendum in 1974 by Labour where the result was to stay in.

DD: Cos I don’t. But one things for sure - paying circa £8billion a year for trade deals we are not in total control of seems a poor deal to me. Think about how we could support our vital steel industry in the face of Chinese “dumped” steel if we were able to! Currently the EU forbids any such support.

Our vital steel industry has been in a complete mess for several years, my own view is that we produce some of the best steel in the world, at the risk of upsetting the Chinese who are heavy investors in the UK, we allow their cheap steel to be imported.

I notice Trump has started banging the drum on imported steel with 25% tariff on steel and 10% on alloy. We the UK that is exports £350 million worth of steel to the US. This has the ability to damage our very fragile steel industry.Could be bad news for Scunthorpe, Rotherham and Sheffield.

On the other hand, the EU are asking to be exempted from the Tariffs, if Trump refuses and we exit the EU let's hope under the old allies flag we the UK could export steel to the US Tariff free it would be a huge bonus for our steel industry.

Last edited by rustymotor; 13th March 2018 at 07:32..
Old 13th March 2018, 09:43   #88
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

UK Steel says that 7 per cent of its exports goes to the U.S and it is worth 360 million pounds to the UK. Next week Liam Fox is flying to the US to seek an exemption from paying those tariffs. If it is accepted, happy days
Old 13th March 2018, 11:54   #89
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Foreign Aid

Another interesting set of facts: For every £100 made in the UK 70p goes in foreign aid a 0.7% of our gross national income and in 2016 the UK spent £13.4 billion on foreign aid. Pakistan received the most £463 million, Syria £352 million and at the low end Somalia £152 million.

In 2015 this was put in to UK Law our government has a legal duty to meet the 0.7% of gross national income.

Now wouldn't this money be better spent on defence, increased policing etc?
Old 13th March 2018, 22:41   #90
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Hi, still here in NZ, had and interested chat to a local here yesterday. He asked me what was all this Brexit about. He said that when the UK joined the EU it ditched NZ and (Australia), what followed was a very hard time for NZ economically. Today NZ is doing quite well, thankyou. Nigel Farage said we will make trade deals with our friends! Having spent a good deal of time in both OZ and NZ, I feel they have moved on, I doubt if they will give the UK any preferential terms.

Dream on
Closed Thread