Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th December 2018, 20:04   #11
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

When I see traffic rushing up the outside lane, and preventing traffic from merging from the inside lane because they leave no gaps, I sit on the white line blocking both lanes from overtaking me, so both lanes are slowed to the same speed, and so are able to merge equally. After all, the important thing is to keep all traffic moving safely at the same speed. It's the speed difference between the outside lane traffic and the blocked lane 1 traffic that causes the problem. With your roundabout problem, buy a Landrover with big girder bumper, and just edge out slowly onto the roundabout, anyone coming right round the roundabout is going to stop and let you go first. The more battered the Landrover (other4x4s are available), the more effective it is. My brother used to have an old battered Series Landy in London, at the same time as an Elan S2. He got around far quicker in the Landy! I get fed up with drivers who wait for a big gap at roundabouts, I'll jump into a big enough gap, and make drivers on the island er... adjust their speed to accomodate me. Who suffers more frustration, - 10 drivers waiting 6 seconds, or 1 driver waiting a minute? Answer- the latter, as frustration grows exponentially with time.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 20:08   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilll View Post
Why dont you stay in the right lane, go right round the roundabout and come of at your desired exit? That way you are not pushing in and you can sit there with a smug look on your face knowing that you have done nothing wrong.
Neil
who are you talking to? me? perhaps I mis understood so i'll clarify. there are times when I want to turn left at a roundabout or even go straight on. The ques for these lanes is long. I will use the lane for going right or doing a "u turn" and i'll go around the roundabout and then take my correct exit.

The queue behind me has just shortened by 1

ok not cricket, cheeky yes but no one gets cut up or has to avoid me.
people go off and back on at slip roads or through services to get ahead.
Through services for me is a no no.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 21:51   #13
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

No Ian, I wasn`t referring to you but to the op! I dont like sneaky tactics like pushing in/aggressive driving.My suggestion which I adopt and also by others, is perfectly legal,safe and quicker than joining a queue (which unfortunately "most" of the British population enjoy).
It infuriates me when I go to the supermarket to buy a few things and I come to join a large queue and I shout out to have another till opened (politely of course) ,then have to argue with the nice quiet people who like to stand in a nice long queue with their fingers up their bottoms moaning about how long it takes to get served when they say to me that they were first when I go to the newly opened till!!

Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 11:00   #14
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpwater View Post
I am somewhat surprised by the replies, certainly not illegal but doesn't fit in with the British way of queuing patiently & waiting our turn. As greater number of drivers do it it holds up those waiting patiently even more & so the resulting frustration will result in more doing it which is what is happening.

I cannot say that I am surprised by the replies, but my views and approach to life actually resonate with yours. Unfortunately most people do not think about fairness, just what they can get out of the situation. Personally, I am never in such a hurry to get anywhere that I have to jump a couple of car spaces. I find leaving 5 minutes early to get to my destination is quite sufficient.

We often have a situation on the A14 at a major turning into Ipswich during the rush hour where traffic has queued up on the inside lane of the A14 to turn off to Ipswich. The outside lane is clearly marked for straight ahead traffic only, which includes northbound traffic for the A12 as well as all the traffic to Central/East Ipswich and Felixstowe docks. During the rush hour we often get drivers who want to jump the queue waiting to turn left by driving in the outside lane right up to the turning. Sometimes they cannot get in because the traffic in the inside lane is not moving so they block the whole of the A14 whilst waiting in the outside lane to get in. It would be well justified to use traffic cameras to fine/award points to these drivers as they cause serious obstructions on a major road and are a danger to other road users.

On the whole, what you are observing is now the way of the world. In this world, there are some cheeky ways of achieving a quiet grin in situations such as the one you describe. For example, are you prone to occasionally stalling your car in the right hand lane approaching the roundabout and then having difficulty restarting it?

Last edited by MSS; 23rd December 2018 at 11:44..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 13:17   #15
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I cannot say that I am surprised by the replies, but my views and approach to life actually resonate with yours. Unfortunately most people do not think about fairness, just what they can get out of the situation. Personally, I am never in such a hurry to get anywhere that I have to jump a couple of car spaces. I find leaving 5 minutes early to get to my destination is quite sufficient.

We often have a situation on the A14 at a major turning into Ipswich during the rush hour where traffic has queued up on the inside lane of the A14 to turn off to Ipswich. The outside lane is clearly marked for straight ahead traffic only, which includes northbound traffic for the A12 as well as all the traffic to Central/East Ipswich and Felixstowe docks. During the rush hour we often get drivers who want to jump the queue waiting to turn left by driving in the outside lane right up to the turning. Sometimes they cannot get in because the traffic in the inside lane is not moving so they block the whole of the A14 whilst waiting in the outside lane to get in. It would be well justified to use traffic cameras to fine/award points to these drivers as they cause serious obstructions on a major road and are a danger to other road users.

On the whole, what you are observing is now the way of the world. In this world, there are some cheeky ways of achieving a quiet grin in situations such as the one you describe. For example, are you prone to occasionally stalling your car in the right hand lane approaching the roundabout and then having difficulty restarting it?
The pleasures of the Copdock Roundabout
Old 23rd December 2018, 13:22   #16
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
The pleasures of the Copdock Roundabout

How did you guess?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 21:20   #17
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post