Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st December 2018, 19:36   #21
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

bit off subject but I would not like to ride a motorcycle these days simply because of the terrible state of the roads. I was lucky to ride on the roads I did. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 20:19   #22
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I've used Firestone tyres for many years now on all of my cars.

Wear, 25 to 30 thousand miles per tyre.

Grip in the wet or dry very good. ( never skidded in either. )

Also a high performance bike rider. ( top speed 150 mph. ) With acceleration to match.

65 years of biking and driving with NO accidents.

Attention to the road and traffic conditions is absolutely essential to a bike rider. ALL CAR DRIVERS WOULD BENEFIT FROM A PERIOD OF TIME ON A MOTOR BIKE.

Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 20:37   #23
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
It's decision time. Longevity or grip. My preference is for grip. I do drive hard sometimes and that costs in both fuel and rubber. It's then that grip is top most in mind.
MG John I agree to a certain extent but price/ wear/grip(not racing driver on normal roads)=to expensive for me.
I think tyre manufactures are extracting as much money from us as they can and giving little in return,I know you have a great memory of the good old days (me, not as much as you)but I can remember a decent tread depth on new tyres and decent grip for the time (Pirelli P6, on RS2000) and 15K minimum (also remember changing brake discs for bigger ones, not because they where worn out)!
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 20:55   #24
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilll View Post
If I could get 15K out of Rainsport 3`s I`d have another set tomorrow! I got 9K on my 190 (manual) and I don`t drive it hard!
They have been rotated (sorry, bad joke ) a couple times, with a pair of Bridgstone Potenzas S001 that I bought at about the same time before I knew of the Uniroyals. To be fair to Bridgestone I've used the S001s for the 5 years previously as they came with the car, and they are generally very good, especially in the dry when pushed hard.
Rainsports have been on the back for two summers and on the front in the winters. The Bridgestones have worn slightly quicker probably because I drive a bit quicker in the drier weather!
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2019, 20:24   #25
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

I had a set of four Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 tyres (215/50 R17 95Y) fitted to my 75 in September to replace my ageing Vredesteins. Despite being marketed as a sports tyre they are anything but. There is greater flex in the sidewall which has improved the ride and dulled turn-in, and off the line traction in damp conditions is sometimes disappointing, but they grip well enough in the corners and are noticeable quieter than the previous tyres.

My Mazda 6 was fitted a pair of AutoGreen Sport Chaser tyres on the back axle (205/55 R16, £78 for 2no fitted). The tyres have good ratings but don't feel good on the car (the car is on 112k miles so its baggy suspension won't help). She'll be getting some better tyres when the front pair are swapped later this year.

Last edited by LeRich; 1st January 2019 at 20:31..
LeRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2019, 21:44   #26
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Very difficult to get any objectivity when it comes to tyres, oil, fuel, wiper blades, or any type of aftermarket parts really. Doubly difficult with tyres because the rating system is down to manufacturers own tests rather than independent testing. My SEAT Altea is supposed to be capable of 74mpg. Do you see where I’m going with this?

Is a Westlake tyre’s A rating worth the sticker it’s printed on? Is a Falken or a Michelin’s A rating any better? Side by side testing in repeatable conditions, by reputable publications is the only way to go for a decent understanding. That said, Auto Express did the 2018 tyre test on Continental’s test track. Which tyre do you suppose won the test? Yup, you guessed it, Continental........

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/16799/the...lly-trust-them
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:11   #27
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross R75 View Post
Very difficult to get any objectivity when it comes to tyres, oil, fuel, wiper blades, or any type of aftermarket parts really. Doubly difficult with tyres because the rating system is down to manufacturers own tests rather than independent testing. My SEAT Altea is supposed to be capable of 74mpg. Do you see where I’m going with this?

Is a Westlake tyre’s A rating worth the sticker it’s printed on? Is a Falken or a Michelin’s A rating any better? Side by side testing in repeatable conditions, by reputable publications is the only way to go for a decent understanding. That said, Auto Express did the 2018 tyre test on Continental’s test track. Which tyre do you suppose won the test? Yup, you guessed it, Continental........

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/16799/the...lly-trust-them

Well thats a very good point I hadn't really factored in the independence or not of how the tyres get allocated their rating, never gave it a thought really. I assume that manufacturers are supposed to adhere to different criteria and then declare their own ratings and we know that certain big businesses have a fairly relaxed attitude to such matters.

i.e. MPG figures for new cars, VW cheat tests etc.

Although having said that there are plenty of tyre manufacturers out there declaring their tyres E+E or F+B for example.

The other thing that has struck me is that whilst I put more faith in the numerous motoring organisation or motor magazine tyre test results, they themselves seem to deliver differing results and rankings where the same tyres are involved.

I know that there are generally different tyre combinations included in these tests but there are numerous examples where the same tyres are swapping places in the rankings of different tests based on similar testing (braking distance, wet, dry, handling etc)

I suppose the size and type of car involved in each of the tests might indicate that different models and weights of cars deliver different results when fitted with the same tyres.

As my original post starting this discussion off stated, I've never really noticed a problem whatever tyre that I've had fitted in the past, but of course in a foot to the floor emergency stop I like anyone else I'm sure, like to think that I've given myself every chance of stopping in the shortest possible distance due to the tyres fitted.

Last edited by bendrick; 2nd January 2019 at 11:01..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote