Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 16th April 2018, 17:18   #1
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default KV6 teenage timing belt exposed at last!

Here are the photographs you have all been waiting for!
First the LH bank and other equipment:

The central portion including the idler wheel (on the right) which, as shown above, shows signs of seepage from its bearing:

Once I have removed the belt I will be checking all the ancillary equipment for play.
Next is the water pump:

Finally the right hand bank:

I don't know whether it is clear from these photographs but there is some dust sprinkled liberally over everything. This is mainly the result of me struggling to manoeuvre out the engine mounting plate (it resented being withdrawn).

As far as the belt is concerned, you will note that there is not a stray fibre to be seen, nor a single crack in the rubber. The teeth all fully fill the slots in the wheels. If anyone would like to see a closer shot of any portion of it, please let me know and I will do my best to oblige.

Remember that this belt has lasted over three times as long (3 x 6 years) as some people insist it will last. It has covered 90,608 miles which is why I am changing it. I'm not a gambling man you know!

I'm also really looking forward to reading the tantrum which will no doubt be posted by a certain well known trader in the club quoting some fantastic and complex theory alleging that this belt was about to break into a thousand pieces if I had left it just one more day!

All other comments are welcome as well.

Simon
Old 16th April 2018, 20:27   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Here are the photographs you have all been waiting for!
First the LH bank and other equipment:

The central portion including the idler wheel (on the right) which, as shown above, shows signs of seepage from its bearing:

Once I have removed the belt I will be checking all the ancillary equipment for play.
Next is the water pump:

Finally the right hand bank:

I don't know whether it is clear from these photographs but there is some dust sprinkled liberally over everything. This is mainly the result of me struggling to manoeuvre out the engine mounting plate (it resented being withdrawn).

As far as the belt is concerned, you will note that there is not a stray fibre to be seen, nor a single crack in the rubber. The teeth all fully fill the slots in the wheels. If anyone would like to see a closer shot of any portion of it, please let me know and I will do my best to oblige.

Remember that this belt has lasted over three times as long (3 x 6 years) as some people insist it will last. It has covered 90,608 miles which is why I am changing it. I'm not a gambling man you know!

I'm also really looking forward to reading the tantrum which will no doubt be posted by a certain well known trader in the club quoting some fantastic and complex theory alleging that this belt was about to break into a thousand pieces if I had left it just one more day!

All other comments are welcome as well.

Simon
Sorry to disappoint you Simon, the "zebra" markings on the belt are the result of the teeth bottoming in the pulleys, count yourself lucky
Old 16th April 2018, 21:25   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Default Information supplied by the original manufacturers of the KV6 belts

Take a look at the attached PDF and you will understand why the first job I undertake on any car I purchase which has a timing belt is to change it, irrespective of any history

To others without a blinkered view to maintenance, or not as arrogant to assume they know better than everyone else, manufacturers included, simply as they have been lucky, it makes for an interesting and informative read.

It should be noted also, I am not a motor mechanic, I am a time served electromechanical design engineer, with many years of experience in factory automation, specifically within the motor vehicle manufacturing industry.

In terms of my own cars, they are maintained to a standard Simon could only dream of, with access to all of the mandated tooling available to Rover dealers, and more importantly the necessary skills to use them correctly, and the only time in the past 30+ years any of my cars have seen the inside of a garage, is for one hour once a year at MOT time.

This is the hard won knowledge and more importantly real life experience I freely offer, in order that others may avoid the pitfalls of poor maintenance technique.

Sometimes when others who are not fortunate enough to own the wide range of equipment as myself, I detail "workarounds" to achieve the desired result without compromising quality of workmanship, however these are nothing that I haven't carried out personally.

I do not carry out any mechanical work of any description on any other vehicle than my own, or that of friends and close family, and I have never made any secret of this, yet Simon appears to think I recommend maintaining your car correctly as I have a vested interest in making money from people, by carrying out in his words "unnecessary work"

I look forward to the "out of context" quoting of any single one of these paragraphs by the "man who knows best"

Brian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gates timing belts 101.pdf (941.3 KB, 109 views)
Old 16th April 2018, 21:56   #4
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Interesting reading, thanks for posting it.

It did say a few times that a belt that looks like new on the outside could be close to failure on the inside.

However, I couldn't find any reference to the replacement after a specified period of time, only mileage.

Interesting to this debate is the recommended replacement intervals for the Freelander with KV6 - 72,000 miles or 6 years. Lower mileage but same age. Why?

Also interesting to compare to my old belt, which did 21,000 miles/6 years. It has the zebra effect but not to the same extent. However, that is a Dayco belt, which appear to be a bit reduced in quality compared to the Gates belt (I think there was a post that compared the thickness and weight of the two).

It was fitted by Andy Willi in 2011, who has the special tools but managed to get it timed a tooth out and had to re-do the job delaying me picking up the car. I have since seen a post by him stating that he has the tools but doesn't use them. Sorry, I digress.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Old 16th April 2018, 22:00   #5
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Sorry to disappoint you Simon, the "zebra" markings on the belt are the result of the teeth bottoming in the pulleys, count yourself lucky
You do disappoint me. I really thought you would come up with a much richer bundle of technically creative nonsense than that! But then, your hands are tied really aren’t they. As my belts have survived 19 years unscathed, it rather exposes the truth of the nonsense you preach about exceeding six years doesn’t it.

Simon
Old 16th April 2018, 22:04   #6
SD1too

Quote:
It should be noted also, I am not a motor mechanic ...

That is patently obvious from your posts on this matter!

Simon
Old 16th April 2018, 22:11   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
You do disappoint me. I really thought you would come up with a much richer bundle of technically creative nonsense than that! But then, your hands are tied really aren’t they. As my belts have survived 19 years unscathed, it rather exposes the truth of the nonsense you preach about exceeding six years doesn’t it.

Simon
Have you read Gates view on timing belts in the above attached PDF Simon?

Perhaps they are not as knowledgeable as yourself, or have a vested interest in "scaring" people into avoiding serious engine damage

Just get the job done, and stop advising people that good maintenance techniques should be ignored based on your good luck........after all no one would be impressed if you told them you changed your engine oil every three years, simply because you only cover 5000 miles P.A.

Brian
Old 16th April 2018, 22:13   #8
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
Interesting reading, thanks for posting it.
Thank you Colin. It’s always nice to receive a civil reply.
Quote:
Also interesting to compare to my old belt, which did 21,000 miles/6 years. It has the zebra effect ...
That is interesting. So according to the fount of all knowledge Mr. MarinaBrian, your belt “bottomed” after the manufacturer’s specified time interval of 6 years, with which he concurs. That rather leaves his argument in tatters doesn’t it. Still, I expect he will remain silent on that evidence. It wouldn’t do for him to take any notice of facts, would it.

Simon
Old 16th April 2018, 22:17   #9
SD1too

Quote:
Just get the job done, and stop advising people that good maintenance techniques should be ignored based on your good luck....
Just study the evidence and stop peddling scare stories for the sake of enhancing your already over inflated ego Brian.
Quote:
... no one would be impressed if you told them you changed your engine oil every three years, simply because you only cover 5000 miles P.A.
Anyone with any intelligence would agree. I do change my engine oil on a mileage basis. Oil does not degrade with the passage of time.

You really have been brainwashed by the industry you worked in haven’t you.

Simon
Old 16th April 2018, 22:19   #10
Madderz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

It's certainly lasted well but is more luck than anything else.
My Astra Van's belt failed and totalled the engine after less than 2 years
Closed Thread