Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd May 2018, 21:50   #1
david2000
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default manual gearbox gear selector

hi to all
on Monday I had difficulty selecting gear on my rover 75 tourer manual diesel,so today my friend and I had a look to see what was wrong took the battery and battery box off so we could see what was wrong
there is excessive play in the gear stick and this made it difficult to select gear as I moved the gear stick from side to side my friend kept a eye on the gear selectors on the gearbox he noticed that one of the gear selectors had excessive play this selector has a nylon block on it and this nylon block moves the selector from side to side
my friend asked if I still had the gearbox off of my old 75 he wanted to compare the two so I went and got my old gearbox I nearly had a hernia caring it and straight away you could see that there was very little play in my old gearbox and it looks like that the nylon block is either worn or damaged so the next job will be to remove the selector and change the nylon block only problem getting access to the push on fix to remove it and
then the pivot pin I hope there will be enough space to remove this pivot pin can I buy this nylon block or does it mean I will have to make one
all the best david
david2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 13:58   #2
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

Mine also has a fair bit of play,so would like to find out the outcome to this myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david2000 View Post
hi to all
on Monday I had difficulty selecting gear on my rover 75 tourer manual diesel,so today my friend and I had a look to see what was wrong took the battery and battery box off so we could see what was wrong
there is excessive play in the gear stick and this made it difficult to select gear as I moved the gear stick from side to side my friend kept a eye on the gear selectors on the gearbox he noticed that one of the gear selectors had excessive play this selector has a nylon block on it and this nylon block moves the selector from side to side
my friend asked if I still had the gearbox off of my old 75 he wanted to compare the two so I went and got my old gearbox I nearly had a hernia caring it and straight away you could see that there was very little play in my old gearbox and it looks like that the nylon block is either worn or damaged so the next job will be to remove the selector and change the nylon block only problem getting access to the push on fix to remove it and
then the pivot pin I hope there will be enough space to remove this pivot pin can I buy this nylon block or does it mean I will have to make one
all the best david
Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 15:24   #3
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Me too ! In my case , the quadrant or arm that the 2 cables attach to seems wobbly If you manage to take any photos doing this job , I'll be very interested The removal procedure is described in RAVE ( P 735 manual gearbox/repairs/oil seal- gear change rod, in my version ) but if you are after the nylon inserts to the caps on the cable ends then I suspect they are only available with the cables

Last edited by chris75; 24th May 2018 at 15:40..
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 20:02   #4
david2000
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

hi to all
no it is not the nylon bushes on the cables
the cables connect to the gear selectors one selector Lifts and pushes the main gear selector on this there is a nylon bush and on mine this has worn
if you look at a photo of a gearbox it is the U shaped selector and the nylon bush is on this selector tonight I tried an experiment I made a bush out of a piece of soft plastic and tried it there was no play at all so I need to find a more suitable material to make one
I have just finished making a mould of the bush out of a tin drilled a hole then bent the tin around the bush to form a mould then I drilled a hole in a piece of wood to hold the drill solid then I put the drill into the wood and then placed the mould on the drill resting on the wood then I filled it with epoxy resin it is now hardening I shall let you know what happens
I can take a photo of the selector but I don't know how to post the photos to this thread if someone can tell me how to do this I can then post the photos to this thread
hope fully I will try and change this bush tomorrow weather permitting
the problem that I have Is getting at the push on fix to get the selector off
there is not mush room there but tonight I noticed that the back battery box bracket is bolted on so tomorrow I will take this bracket off to see if I can get at the push on fix if it breaks a bolt and nut will do the same job

all the best david

Last edited by david2000; 24th May 2018 at 21:24..
Old 25th May 2018, 17:00   #5
Kevin Williams
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Tourer [116 bhp] in Wedgwood Blue / MG ZT CDTi [131bhp] in Anthracite

This happened to me recently in my ZT. Just driving normally on a B road casually following another car and suddenly lost drive without real warning. Very flappy gear lever, but clutch pedal OK. On reflection I had noticed it getting slightly more difficult to select reverse, but put it down to the usual wear and tear on the clutch developing.

Currently at my friends for cable replacement, but he's spotted a collapsing engine mount which has probably aided the failure.

BTW, to get the car home had to call out the RAC and patrolman already knew my friend and sang his praises!The bodge that got me 5 miles home then 5 miles further to my friends was to cover the nylon ball with a rubber glove and keep gear change down to a minimum. It worked!
Kevin Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 21:03   #6
david2000
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

hi to all
today I replaced the nylon bush on the gear selector and now there is no excessive play in the gear stick and it now changes gear beautifully
david
Old 26th May 2018, 09:11   #7
david2000
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

hi to all
this morning I tried an experiment the spare gearbox I have I took the gear selector off and tried the nylon bush from my car on the spare gearbox and there was play in the bush I then took the selector off and I turned the bush 180 degrees and refitted the play was reduced so if anyone has this problem and does not have the tools to make a new bush then just take the bush off and turn it around
david