Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd October 2018, 18:02   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Taking a year out to travel

My 24 year old son wants to take a year off to travel. He lives at home but has a full time job. His girlfriend also has a full time job and her own flat, for her I don't think money is an issue when it comes to paying her mortgage while away but then she may rent it. Both their employers may give them a year of with a job to come back to.

I don't want to stop my son but I'm a grow up, get a job, get your own home person and so I find it hard to be enthusiastic and full of encouragement.

I'm concerned the housing market will pass him by, prices to much for him and he will have a 1 bed flat. He does not like living in the UK and so there is a risk he wont return, but that in itself I accept as he could pack up and leave anyway

Have your children done this and how did they get on?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 18:42   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Ian; I understand your concern but please give your son's plan your blessing. We should all seize the day, particularly when we're young. None of us knows what's around the corner and our lives hang from a delicate thread. Travelling the world is infinitely more valuable to your son than staying at home and worrying about the housing market.

Simon
Old 22nd October 2018, 18:51   #3
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I don't think much will happen to the housing market in 12 months. Plus then there's always the things he will learn and see in a year around the world, far more than 12 months looking at mortgage rates.

A house is important but I'd say at this time in his life it can easily wait a year.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:20   #4
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Ian; I understand your concern but please give your son's plan your blessing. We should all seize the day, particularly when we're young. None of us knows what's around the corner and our lives hang from a delicate thread. Travelling the world is infinitely more valuable to your son than staying at home and worrying about the housing market.

Simon
I'd agree. It could be the only opportunity he gets, and if he has the means and inclination then he should go for it.
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:37   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I must live on a different planet, taking a year off from what Not an option to any of my kids, or me, or my parents Sorry Ian, just can't get my head around a 20 something swanning off on the "Grand Tour" & returning to a guaranteed job just p##ses of the young people trying to get a job in the first place

Please forgive my unsympathetic rant, but I live in the real world (as I see it) my daughter took several years out as she couldn't find work, now she's, through hard work, attained a nursing position in the area's general Hospital Not knocking your son's decision, just failing to understand it
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:40   #6
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Lots of people want to travel, certainly taking a year isn't that unusual. I'm genuinely interested what is it that you don't understand?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:49   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Lots of people want to travel, certainly taking a year isn't that unusual. I'm genuinely interested what is it that you don't understand?
Taking a year out to travel is not an option for the vast majority of young people, unless you have the funds to do so Or the bank of Mam & Dad. Many don't, not knocking the idea if you can do it, but its a dream we all aspire but very few attain
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 21:06   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
I must live on a different planet, taking a year off from what Not an option to any of my kids, or me, or my parents Sorry Ian, just can't get my head around a 20 something swanning off on the "Grand Tour" & returning to a guaranteed job just p##ses of the young people trying to get a job in the first place

Please forgive my unsympathetic rant, but I live in the real world (as I see it) my daughter took several years out as she couldn't find work, now she's, through hard work, attained a nursing position in the area's general Hospital Not knocking your son's decision, just failing to understand it
No offence taken. There is no bank of mum and dad to fund the year out, he has his own funds. I think his intention is to pick up work while he travels.
I have told him how I feel and that I would support him (not financially) if he goes and give any help I can. Some firms, perhaps larger ones, do allow sabbaticals, I think it is very generous.
He does not like the him drum of going to work, feels there is something better in life. He has worked continuously I think since leaving uni

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 22:46   #9
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
My 24 year old son wants to take a year off to travel. He lives at home but has a full time job. His girlfriend also has a full time job and her own flat, for her I don't think money is an issue when it comes to paying her mortgage while away but then she may rent it. Both their employers may give them a year of with a job to come back to.

I don't want to stop my son but I'm a grow up, get a job, get your own home person and so I find it hard to be enthusiastic and full of encouragement.

I'm concerned the housing market will pass him by, prices to much for him and he will have a 1 bed flat. He does not like living in the UK and so there is a risk he wont return, but that in itself I accept as he could pack up and leave anyway

Have your children done this and how did they get on?

macafee2
Travelling the world for a year sounds glamorous does'nt it....It is the sort of thing one thinks about in retirement and some of us make it happen. Your son and his girlfriend might be thinking, lets do it before we settle down and start a family and then we might never be able to afford the time or money to do it, then the dream may never be realised.

Several years ago I joined Facebook to follow my nephew's exploits from New York to the west coast of the USA. He cycled across the states with a mate and both of them raised in excess of £50,000 in donations for research into Autism. What about your son and his girlfriend doing the same sort of thing in their year out, raising funds for a worthy charity? You might think about putting it to them. Killing 2 birds with one stone - a good cause and seeing the world.

When they go, they should have a backup plan in case things go wrong, such as taking out travel insurance or having someone who will fly out to wherever they are in the world and get them out of a jam, a contingency.

Another nephew wanted to go round South America in his gap year on his own. We were all against it, as parts of South America are not safe. A wall of stubbornness came up and we gave in..... he went, but he was lucky his Father paid for his flights and he put him on a credit card for emergencies. On his return he said everything worked out and whilst he was staying in a hostel in Ecuador he got by earning his board and keep, teaching English to locals. On return to the UK, he spoke fluent Spanish and had a fantastic experience. He plans to go back, so the travel bug is still there.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 22nd October 2018 at 22:48..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 02:40   #10
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

As someone who has interviewed a great many people for jobs over the years the lasting impression was invariably that those who had done something with their lives during a gap year were more self assured, mature and resilient.

The “real world” is out there - exploring it builds character. If you are lead to believe the real world only exists in a small bubble then IMO - that builds resentment.

And I totally agree with the post above from G K’er that a charitable “function” within the gap year is worthwhile.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote