Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th September 2015, 11:06   #11
Edward Huggins
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzerk View Post
Sounds as though you need to carefully check the top drivers side engine
mount (The Hydramount). it is filled with glycol so check for leakage or cracking of the rubber. In normal use the rubber gradually hardens so that it is no longer able to absorb the normal vibrations so that they are transmitted
through the seats and steering wheel etc.
Thanks for this suggestion. Based on this, I've now had the mounting "Acorns" checked out both sides and all looks fine with no perishing/seepage. I've now ordered a replacement sterering rack. The experts at x-Part think the non-return valve on the hydraulics may have failed. I'll post the results here. If ther's no improvement, it will have been an expensive exercise for me!! ED
Edward Huggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 11:29   #12
Steve1966
Loves to post

2000 W Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Man Club (SE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
I had an early diesel and didn't notice any problems, but they were fitted with dampers like this

They stopped fitting them under the cost-cutting "Project Drive" programme.

Maybe, it might be worth trying to source one.
I might be mis-remembering but I'm pretty sure that the damper was only introduced on autos at their launch and the diesel manual never got them. The OP details do not state whether manual or auto however. Either way I'm inclined to suggest that this would not be a cure.

Steve.

Spyhole, Thermostat, IMG (x2), Front ARB Drop links (x3 pairs), Rear Damper, Coils/HT Leads, Heater Matrix, Unions, 13x tyres, Gearbox Oil, Full Service (x3), Water pump & belts, LH/RH lower arm & bushes, Front/Rear pads/Discs, Fr door finishers, Track Rods, Jule's intake tube, Clutch, Slave, DMF (ouch), 1 1/2 exhausts, front springs/top mounts, Jule's Fan upgrade/condenser, reverse gear switch, OSR upper arm, spring, and sill welding. 78,000miles (175,600m total).
Steve1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 15:00   #13
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1966 View Post
I might be mis-remembering but I'm pretty sure that the damper was only introduced on autos at their launch and the diesel manual never got them. The OP details do not state whether manual or auto however. Either way I'm inclined to suggest that this would not be a cure.

Steve.
I agree with you, fitting the damper to my Auto CDT (which had a knackered Hydramount) made no difference whatsoever! I hope i am wrong but changing the steering rack seems like a waste of money to me.

Last edited by wuzerk; 4th September 2015 at 15:03..
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 17:10   #14
MikeJohn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

I still have similar problem, Slight vibration on steering column if you just put a tiny amount of pressure on the wheel to turn.

Replaced or fitted so far: (Not in this order)

a) Lower engine mount
b) Hydramount
c) All front subframe bushes (never again!) Several had split
d) Steering rack (twice!) the first one very notchy in the centre after about 100k (just worn out) Replacement rack failed after about 18 months and poured fluid out of one end. Fortunately warrant was 2 years!
e) Steering damper installed as per pre-project drive.

After every step we seemed a bit better (but that may be psychological), but the stupid thing still vibrates!

Is there a hydramount style mount on the gearbox end? The bottom mount stops the engine rocking but takes no weight.

If you do find yours please let me know!

Mike John
MikeJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 18:19   #15
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJohn View Post
I still have similar problem, Slight vibration on steering column if you just put a tiny amount of pressure on the wheel to turn.

Replaced or fitted so far: (Not in this order)

a) Lower engine mount
b) Hydramount
c) All front subframe bushes (never again!) Several had split
d) Steering rack (twice!) the first one very notchy in the centre after about 100k (just worn out) Replacement rack failed after about 18 months and poured fluid out of one end. Fortunately warrant was 2 years!
e) Steering damper installed as per pre-project drive.

After every step we seemed a bit better (but that may be psychological), but the stupid thing still vibrates!

Is there a hydramount style mount on the gearbox end? The bottom mount stops the engine rocking but takes no weight.

If you do find yours please let me know!

Mike John
Yes there is glycol damped mount at the gearbox end, have to remove the battery box etc to get to it. awkward job and made no difference on my
CDT.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote