Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd February 2016, 13:32   #21
awvc1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
It will make a car eerily quiet in my experience, as my CDT had 4mm silent coat sound deadening material put in and the whole thing runs quieter than Red October.
Tony

Did you cover the whole of the inside of the doors with the 4mm silentcoat, or just add dampener pads to the middle of the outer door skin/panel ?
Thanks for a bit more detail

Pete[/QUOTE]

i went for, and got, about 75% coverage of the whole inner skin, as it wasn't easy getting the bits in there. That's what tjhey recommended in the instructions for this stuff too

Mods:

FBH
Revotec Fan
Inline 'stat
Xenon lights + washers
BMW MK4 satnav, clock mod, BT ulf, 16:9 screen & TV
upgraded BM54 + BT Aux-in
Miracast box
Glasses holder
Flip Key
Spyhole +Jules plenum shield
PPD - badges,rear plinth, carpeted heater panels, anchor bolts, reflectors
Walnut Dash, handbrake+gearshift
Twin Horns
Drivers cupholder
HK Speakers
Chrome bullet mirrors
Digital speedo
LED interior bulbs
Resler interface
USB charging sockets x2
awvc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 17:16   #22
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

When I dropped the roof lining on one of my previous Tourers to sort another problem I noticed there was little or no sound proofing. While the roof lining was down I glued in some 10mm sheets of high density foam and it made a big difference. Can't remember where the stuff came from: I just had it lying around.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 11:23   #23
thundercat
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club SE

What's "Silentcoat" and where is it available from.
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 12:03   #24
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Just go to Amazon and search for silentcoat soundproofing, and it will come up.

Six sheets of 4mm door soundproofing material costs about 25 pounds.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 08:27   #25
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

I fitted the underbonnet and boot compartment sound proofing yesterday - the boot soundproofing makes a big difference - this comprises 6mm silentcoat sheets over the wheel arches and in the spare wheel well, with some squares of this material on the inner wings, followed by a 10mm thick dodomat that goes under the boot carpet - really kills a lot of noise from the rear end. I am not sure the underbonnet makes a big difference (this was just 6mm silentcoat pads cut to the shape of the bonnet cut outs under the factory-fitted under-bonnet soundproofing).

I lifted the edge of the carpets to try to fit the floor sound deadening pads, but I really need to take the seats out to get them in properly, so that will have to wait for anther day. There seemed to be a reasonable amount of sound deadening under the carpet - about a 10mm thick layer of what looked like loft insulation/lagging material. I am not sure how good this is at killing noise - I hope the Dodomats under the carpets will make a difference.

I have not tackled the doors yet- I need to summon up the courage to tackle the door card removal/replacement !

Pete
Old 8th February 2016, 17:53   #26
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
I fitted the underbonnet and boot compartment sound proofing yesterday - the boot soundproofing makes a big difference - this comprises 6mm silentcoat sheets over the wheel arches and in the spare wheel well, with some squares of this material on the inner wings, followed by a 10mm thick dodomat that goes under the boot carpet - really kills a lot of noise from the rear end. I am not sure the underbonnet makes a big difference (this was just 6mm silentcoat pads cut to the shape of the bonnet cut outs under the factory-fitted under-bonnet soundproofing).

I lifted the edge of the carpets to try to fit the floor sound deadening pads, but I really need to take the seats out to get them in properly, so that will have to wait for anther day. There seemed to be a reasonable amount of sound deadening under the carpet - about a 10mm thick layer of what looked like loft insulation/lagging material. I am not sure how good this is at killing noise - I hope the Dodomats under the carpets will make a difference.

I have not tackled the doors yet- I need to summon up the courage to tackle the door card removal/replacement !

Pete
Have you tried some dodomat on the front of the bulkhead behind the engine. I kind of cut it to shape so that it wedges behind the various tubes and brackets to hold it on so that it doesnt just rely on its self adhesive backing.

I got a bit of improvement there. I am also sceptical about the underbonnet one. I did it but dont think it improved anything.

Another one you might like to try is get underneath the car, drop down the exhaust heat shields then line the exhaust tunnel with silent coat with dodo on top then put the heat shields back. This reduced my exhaust boom slightly on the 2002 car. Made no difference at all on the 2001 car, but that could well be because it has an extra silencer box on it.

Despite all the extra work i did on the 2002 car it is still not as quiet as the 2001 one, but certainly getting closer. Like you i intend to do the doors eventually, but just waiting for another excuse to get the door cards off, but since i refitted them soon after getting the car they havent needed to come off again.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 08:31   #27
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Thanks for all the suggestions, David. I'll certainly think about the Dodomat on the bulkhead. I'll get the cabin floor and doors done first, then see how it goes.

I agree there is a staggering difference in refinement between early and late cars - the only definite changes were the thinner carpet and omission of the parcel shelf soundproofing, but I think I also read somewhere that thinner door cards were used on non-PPD cars. I also think the boot carpet was much thinner on later models, but it is hard to find out exactly what changed over the years.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted

Pete
Old 9th February 2016, 18:08   #28
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions, David. I'll certainly think about the Dodomat on the bulkhead. I'll get the cabin floor and doors done first, then see how it goes.

I agree there is a staggering difference in refinement between early and late cars - the only definite changes were the thinner carpet and omission of the parcel shelf soundproofing, but I think I also read somewhere that thinner door cards were used on non-PPD cars. I also think the boot carpet was much thinner on later models, but it is hard to find out exactly what changed over the years.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted

Pete
Where does the parcel shelf soundproof go? Is it from inside the cabin, or was it on the boot side of the panel? I havent added any there, so may be worth a look
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 18:21   #29
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvc1 View Post
the noise of the engine is pretty well damped I think , certainly on my 2003 CDT it was. road noise is less well damped than the earlier pre project drive cars as they cut down on the thickness of carpet and underlay, and the amount of dampening used.

I reckon the best wins are putting things like dynamat inside the car door skins if you want to reduce exterior noise transmission into the car - the resonance effects from the outside are reduced by this only. It will make a car eerily quiet in my experience, as my CDT had 4mm silent coat sound deadening material put in and the whole thing runs quieter than Red October.
I have put some old fashioned bitumin backed thick felt on my boot floor, and it is very quiet.
Old 9th February 2016, 18:31   #30
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
Where does the parcel shelf soundproof go? Is it from inside the cabin, or was it on the boot side of the panel? I havent added any there, so may be worth a look
I think it was inside the cabin, under the trim on the parcel shelf, so you have all the hassle of removing the rear seats and seat belt anchors to get to where the soundproofing goes. Has anyone on here got an easy 'how to' for removing the parcel shelf ?

Pete