Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th March 2016, 18:07   #11
Trisman
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon.

Quote:
some glaringly obvious reasons why it wouldn't work.
It's called the Second law of Thermodynamics!

Basically, it's why perpetual motion machines won't work.
You'd need something to be more than 100% efficient to power your motor/alternator/battery hybrid & that just can't be done!

When you factor in friction losses, the efficiency of ANY motor/generator, (plus the fact that can never even get 100% efficiency), it just won't work.

You can't get more energy out than you put in!

Anyhoo.. There is a guy who posts on YouTube who has converted various BMWs to electric power.

He's done an E46 3 series, an E39 5er (pretty successfully too, he uses it to get to work!) and is currently going to town on an E31 8 series.

Damian Maguire's Electric car conversions channel.

E39 test drive.

He knows his stuff!

I reckon it'd be easier to convert a RWD to electric power, getting drive to an FWD car would be harder...?

Mods: EGR delete. Synergy 2E. In-line Thermostat. Electric, heated black leather seats. Chrome Skullcaps. Black steering wheel. 18" MG ZT 11 spoke wheels. Plenum spy-hole. In-dash Sat-Nav. Mesh grill.
Repairs: Rad fan. Clutch/flywheel. Exhaust. Rear light seals. Front bushes & ARB links. Springs. A/C regas. Alternator regulator. Window 'B' post trim.
Future: Remote boot release.
Front end drop, 160 remap..!?

Last edited by Trisman; 17th April 2016 at 23:17.. Reason: typo.
Trisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 18:10   #12
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
I've always thought this, but never asked the question as I assumed there would be some glaringly obvious reasons why it wouldn't work. But I have always thought that an alternator or something connected up to the wheels would at least give some power back, to increase the range, even if it couldn't create enough to just keep on going.
I would say there is something or else it would have been done by now. Perhaps there is a limit to what can be harvested. I would imagine the Formula One KERS units could be employed also, and perhaps that in itself offers some kind of explanation. KERS is harvests the energy during the braking phases, ie high resistance situations.If the rotational motion could be converted to some kind of electrical power without affecting the overall power, I would have imagined it would have been utilised.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 18:27   #13
keithst24
This is my second home

X Power Grey MGZT 180+ Auto... Bumble & 1.8T Odessey Rover 75 Contemporary SE manual

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,403 Posts

Sooner hear my V6 rumbling to be honest
keithst24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 18:58   #14
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Yea I get that you can't produce more power than you use, otherwise power stations would only need an initial kick to get them going. But surely there is/could be a way of creating a small amount to extend the range slightly?

All that aside, electric car's don't interest me at all, would much rather hear the noise of an engine.

I did look at the costs of an electric bike (just out of interest), and it would've taken 5 years just to break even, against a petrol bike, and restricted on range for pleasure rides.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 19:31   #15
awvc1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

all the modern ev's and hybrids collect spare power from the braking systems. If you rig anything else up that takes from the drive mechanism, or in any way reduces your momentum, all you are doing is making your drive system less efficient I'd guess. You'll just have to start to accelerate again quicker.

Mods:

FBH
Revotec Fan
Inline 'stat
Xenon lights + washers
BMW MK4 satnav, clock mod, BT ulf, 16:9 screen & TV
upgraded BM54 + BT Aux-in
Miracast box
Glasses holder
Flip Key
Spyhole +Jules plenum shield
PPD - badges,rear plinth, carpeted heater panels, anchor bolts, reflectors
Walnut Dash, handbrake+gearshift
Twin Horns
Drivers cupholder
HK Speakers
Chrome bullet mirrors
Digital speedo
LED interior bulbs
Resler interface
USB charging sockets x2
awvc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 19:48   #16
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Yea I get that you can't produce more power than you use, otherwise power stations would only need an initial kick to get them going.
This is the bit I dont understand.I can appreciate that if the alternator was driven by a belt, there would be a drag, and inefficiency, however, if there was a shaft extending into the centre of the car, acting as the shaft of the alternator with the brushes acting on it. The brushes surely cannot create that much resistance/friction. The rotational input is always going to be there, so it must be possible to harness this. I know physics dictates that you cannot get somethign for nothing, but ...........

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 21:43   #17
Graham E
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTI

I,m sure I've seen a magazine feature on someone who electrified an MGF
Graham E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 22:00   #18
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham E View Post
I,m sure I've seen a magazine feature on someone who electrified an MGF
Yes you are correct, it was actually an MGR development car.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/co...d-mgf-revealed

What could have been!......................

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 22:29   #19
zedziczek
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n98ATylWi4g
http://www.fotowoltaika-szkolenia.pl...od-elektryczny
zedziczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 11:07   #20
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
This is the bit I dont understand.I can appreciate that if the alternator was driven by a belt, there would be a drag, and inefficiency, however, if there was a shaft extending into the centre of the car, acting as the shaft of the alternator with the brushes acting on it. The brushes surely cannot create that much resistance/friction. The rotational input is always going to be there, so it must be possible to harness this. I know physics dictates that you cannot get somethign for nothing, but ...........
Borrowed from Wikipaedia .....

In physics, the law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant—it is said to be conserved over time. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, it transforms from one form to another. For instance, chemical energy can be converted to kinetic energy in the explosion of a stick of dynamite.

A consequence of the law of conservation of energy is that a perpetual motion machine of the first kind cannot exist. That is to say, no system without an external energy supply can deliver an unlimited amount of energy to its surroundings

It's not just a question of friction on moving parts . The energy itself has to come from somewhere and unless your system is 100% efficient then you will need to put in more than you get out .So , if your power source is a battery then you will be draining the battery in order to produce your charging current That's why it won't work You can, and some vehicles do , have a secondary source like a small petrol engine / generator to top up , but then you are using petrol energy in addition . You pays your money ......

Last edited by chris75; 7th March 2016 at 11:10.. Reason: added
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote