Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th March 2016, 14:27   #31
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Yes it is perceived as a grandad car by the ignorant but not by the well informed. Last week I was leaving tesco's car park and a young lad in a BMW comming in gave me the thumbs up and shouted through his window cool car mate. For a grandad in his sixties made my day and some.

I do believe though that those that think its a grandad car often drive in a bullying manner when behind especially VW's and executive marks. Yesterday was typical, a lady for want of a better term was driving her vw golf up my chuff in 30/40 zones and heavey traffic. No where to overtake but very aggressive get that xxxxx out of my way type. The traffic melted away the limit ended down went my welly and said ladies face was a picture of surprise as grandad car left her standing and was left well behind in the twisty bits. Later down the road caught up with traffic and she was behind me again but this time kept a very healthy gap between us. Hopefully next time she sees a grandad in a grandad car she will drive to a better standard.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 14:42   #32
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
Yes it is perceived as a grandad car by the ignorant but not by the well informed. Last week I was leaving tesco's car park and a young lad in a BMW comming in gave me the thumbs up and shouted through his window cool car mate. For a grandad in his sixties made my day and some.

I do believe though that those that think its a grandad car often drive in a bullying manner when behind especially VW's and executive marks. Yesterday was typical, a lady for want of a better term was driving her vw golf up my chuff in 30/40 zones and heavey traffic. No where to overtake but very aggressive get that xxxxx out of my way type. The traffic melted away the limit ended down went my welly and said ladies face was a picture of surprise as grandad car left her standing and was left well behind in the twisty bits. Later down the road caught up with traffic and she was behind me again but this time kept a very healthy gap between us. Hopefully next time she sees a grandad in a grandad car she will drive to a better standard.

I get that quite a lot, I know the cars I can and can't play with but if someone in a basic type rep car wants to be silly (and I'm in the mood) then I'll play - it's not big and it's not clever but it's fun

Mind you, when they see all the Rover 75's parked across 3 parking spaces and in parking spaces they shouldn't be they are going to think they are driven by the infirm aren't they

mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 14:44   #33
awvc1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

one of the advantages of being a 'grandad' is that you get to care less about opinions of others that are based only on their own blinkered tastes.

As a driver of a 75 since I was 35, I care little for the dismissal of the best car i've ever driven of by others, and consider it a validation of my choice not to follow the herd.

Mods:

FBH
Revotec Fan
Inline 'stat
Xenon lights + washers
BMW MK4 satnav, clock mod, BT ulf, 16:9 screen & TV
upgraded BM54 + BT Aux-in
Miracast box
Glasses holder
Flip Key
Spyhole +Jules plenum shield
PPD - badges,rear plinth, carpeted heater panels, anchor bolts, reflectors
Walnut Dash, handbrake+gearshift
Twin Horns
Drivers cupholder
HK Speakers
Chrome bullet mirrors
Digital speedo
LED interior bulbs
Resler interface
USB charging sockets x2
awvc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 14:46   #34
willster
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer Auto CDT

I have had rover 75s since I was 25 ,now 31 . I got more abuse when I had a moonstone green saloon , less now I have a silver tourer . But I just laugh it off, I know my car isn't really depreciating atall now , compared to most peoples which could be 1000 a year or they just lease and never actually own the vehicle. I pride myself on keeping the car going myself and can do that on minimum outlay . They are a hell of a lot of car for the money and very british with lots of character , I will never join the soulless ranks of overpriced flashy cars to feed my ego and try and display to others how successful I am even though they probably just lease the car . Having said that I would love a 535d touring in terms of luxury performance !! But could never justify that sort of cash as long as I can still get my hands on a beautiful 75 for circa 3000.
willster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 15:24   #35
Colin P
Gets stuck in

2003 Rover 75 Club SE CDT manual saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by invoke-delight View Post
Heh... I fulfilled a lifelong dream in my 75 a couple of weeks ago... I've always wanted to drive around in a very refined looking car with the windows down and a really good classical piece blaring through the sound system, and I wanted to do it while I was still young enough for it to be really obviously funny (bear in mind that when I'm working as a supply teacher I often get asked "are you staff or student?" when I'm running for my photocopying).

So a couple of weeks ago, I was driving to Tesco for a prescription, browsing radio stations and just at the right moment, Mars from The Planets Suite by Holst came onto Radio 3. So up went the sound, down went the windows, and lots of middle aged women stared at me in horror, surprise or shock, I'm not quite sure which, I was too busy enjoying the moment. I just wish I'd had some fancy mustard in the glovebox. The best part was pausing at the traffic lights next to a very crowded bus stop. I had to draw on all my self-control to keep a straight face.
Nice one mate nowt wrong with listening to classical music in your 75 i do it often but at a lower volume with the windows up im not that brave lol
Colin P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 18:06   #36
woolleysox
This is my second home

Black V8 Ztt 260SE

I have a thirsty ZTT and drive it most days and love it to bits. I don't give a tinkers cuss what others say it my car and my choice,But then I am a grandad
woolleysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 18:21   #37
deerileyhammond
Regular poster

Rover 75 Contemporary 2.0CDTi

I was 28 when I got my first Rover 75, now on to my second one and I'm 31. I get lots of jibes from my friends about it "where's your cardi?" etc but funnily enough, when it comes to road trips, everyone wants to pile into mine rather than a cramped old Saxo or Golf that another friend might be driving...
deerileyhammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 18:43   #38
steve1975
Banned

rover 75 saloon

i'm 40 and mrs has taught our 3 yr old son a phrase....she'll say 'whats daddys car? he'll reply 'pensioners car'....little NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-
steve1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 18:45   #39
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I remember my father advising me never to buy a fashionable car. My 2nd car was a 1961 Morris Oxford in battleship grey. Not long after I bought an Allegro that was as uncool as it was comfortable - i.e. very.
The result is I have spent less on almost 40 years of motoring than my son has over the past 5 years. His motors have been shiney & new, fast & impressive but what they lose in depreciation makes my eyes water.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 18:45   #40
steve1975
Banned

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by willster View Post
I have had rover 75s since I was 25 ,now 31 . I got more abuse when I had a moonstone green saloon , less now I have a silver tourer . But I just laugh it off, I know my car isn't really depreciating atall now , compared to most peoples which could be 1000 a year or they just lease and never actually own the vehicle. I pride myself on keeping the car going myself and can do that on minimum outlay . They are a hell of a lot of car for the money and very british with lots of character , I will never join the soulless ranks of overpriced flashy cars to feed my ego and try and display to others how successful I am even though they probably just lease the car . Having said that I would love a 535d touring in terms of luxury performance !! But could never justify that sort of cash as long as I can still get my hands on a beautiful 75 for circa 3000.
oi....nowt wrong with a moonstone saloon
steve1975 is offline   Reply With Quote