Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th March 2016, 17:16   #261
steve1975
Banned

rover 75 saloon

mine don't have one either so that's 2 i need
steve1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 18:57   #262
awvc1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I had rather a harrowing weekend with the Gold car today.

I went to the midlands nano to finally bring to an end the saga of my powerfold mirrors. I had managed to get a broken powerfold mirror, with no cover. So I had set about getting the mirrors motor repaired.

This was finally done by Rob (Trebor) and a friend of his Bernard, as the motor required more than set of gears, some shim's and some hand filing was needed.

We arranged to meet at the Midlands nano, and there I would pick up the mirror, get it reassembled, and get the crossbody loom checked out at the same time.

Turned out the crossbody loom was present on one side in my car but not the other so was not functional, and required manually wiring across.

Things did not go to plan, and on top of issues, my car battery died there necessitating a jump start to get home. Furthermore, I had to drive straight back rather than stay in the hotel we had booked, since I could not rely on the battery to start the next morning. Additionally my car no longer locked, and the door would not open on the passenger side. I did not want to leave my car unlocked all night in a car park. I also had some very strange electrical errors and the hiline sat nav and radio died completely.

I spent the whole of today attempting to fix this, and finally got rid of the worst of the electrical problems, and the car is more or less working as expected. My amp on my stereo looks like a casualty, as it is totally dead, but the bulk of the hiline system is now functional. The door on the passenger front now opens, but the latch is jammed up, looks like the actuator will need replacing. I also lost all the custom wiring i did on my usb charging ports, and my FBH remote now no longer works. At this point considering where I was first thing this morning, I have to consider this as close to a win as I will get.

I want to stress I am not complaining how this went, indeed I stress i want to thank Rob for the time and effort he put in on my car, no one planned it to go the way it did, but he fixed a motor that was never going to work otherwise, and did the doors off part of the job I could never have done. Plus, the good news is I finally have a working pair of powerfold mirrors after 5 months of dramas every step of the way. They fought to the bitter end but they are on.

I am tired and this has been taken a lot out of me. I have meddled with my car to the point where I thought it would never work properly again, and with my problems with my nerves and the other issues in my life, I can't ever allow this to happen to me again.

Today is the day i say 'never again'.

This has become a very destructive force in my life and my families, and is more than i can emotionally handle. I will not be fixing the modifications I made previously to get them back, as I can't handle the strain of it. i feel quite literally that I fear to ever touch anything in case the car will break again.

I want to drive my car, and clean it, and nothing else. Problems need to be fixed by people with skills, I have floundered for a year struggling against a basic truth. I am not able to do this sort of thing as i have no such skills.

I still have a massive problem with the other rover yet, and I am feeling the strain. I am lucky i have some good friends who are very much better than me at this stuff who genrously will help me. Truth is I am not well, and the cars have pushed me over my limits and made me very ill. There will be no more posts in the 2016 or 2015 threads, probably no more posts here at all. Because I can't do this anymore.

Thank you for reading, but this story is now truly at an end.

Mods:

FBH
Revotec Fan
Inline 'stat
Xenon lights + washers
BMW MK4 satnav, clock mod, BT ulf, 16:9 screen & TV
upgraded BM54 + BT Aux-in
Miracast box
Glasses holder
Flip Key
Spyhole +Jules plenum shield
PPD - badges,rear plinth, carpeted heater panels, anchor bolts, reflectors
Walnut Dash, handbrake+gearshift
Twin Horns
Drivers cupholder
HK Speakers
Chrome bullet mirrors
Digital speedo
LED interior bulbs
Resler interface
USB charging sockets x2
awvc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 20:56   #263
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Tony, I cannot comprehend the suffering you experience, but you are a dedicated strong guy with several great traits, so don't lose it ! These cars have to give us the run around because they provide so much joy & pleasure when things work properly, so these remaing issues are simply glitches left over partly due to their age and history. Both your cars are beauties, and I for one will do all that I can to assist in rectifying all that I can. I cannot change the past, but will do my best to make the future of these two family members better.
Finally, please chill. Your family are the most important part of life including you, so don't panic about anything to do with cars, I have offered you my car before, and that remains to this day and beyond, you wont be without wheels at any stage of the game fixing what needs doing. Calmness is what I prescribe and hope that you will find this quickly.
I know this is likely to be your last post on the subject, so any time you need to talk, or need help that I can provide, call or email me anytime my friend.
Kind Regards, John.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 22:21   #264
steve1975
Banned

rover 75 saloon

if you ever need a chat,you've got my number,even if it's just to have a rant
steve1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 07:30   #265
129c
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1975 View Post
if you ever need a chat,you've got my number,even if it's just to have a rant
Ditto Tony.

You know I am fully qualified and trained to cope with your infamous rants.
They are part of the TC package and you are always welcome here anytime mate.

#leavethelaptopathome
129c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 09:06   #266
woolleysox
This is my second home

Black V8 Ztt 260SE

sorry to hear of your problems on the way home if you could not have start your car in the morning at the hotel one of us would have popped along and jump started it. Trebor forgot his phone but he tried to ring you and text you on my phone but we must have had an incorrect number as neither would connect. Hope you get it sorted and hope you don't let it get you down the 75/ZT can be trying at times.

best wishes

woolleysox.
woolleysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 09:19   #267
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Hi Tony, it was nice to meet you face to face after exchanging quite a few pms before the Nano Meet.

The powerfold fitting did go to plan as you say but I have never seen one before with the cross body wiring present on the drivers side and not the passenger so in the end as you know we wired it across ourselves without using the oem wiring at all, but in the end it was mission accomplished

You should keep an eye on your battery just in case as the drive from Essex would have ensured it was fully charged when you got to the Nano and there was no radio etc on in your car all day, we just used the ignition when testing the mirrors but not enough I would have thought to discharge your battery.These cars need a good battery otherwise all sorts of electrical gremlins are known to happen.

I am sorry to hear that you seem to have now lost the will to keep working on your car, a lot of us have probably been there and they can be both frustrating and challenging at times, maybe you will reconsider on reflection, i hope you do as they are great cars when working and you have had yours for some years and its a lovely colour and interior combination.

Looks like you have some good friends on here who know you much better than me after just one meet, so take care, best wishes for the future for you and your family and thank you for attending the Nano Meet

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 11:50   #268
awvc1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

picking up on this thread a month down the line, thanks to the previous contributors for their words of support, and of course their efforts on my car.

I haven't had much enthusiasm for this for some time as everything just kept going wrong, but it is finally a bit closer to how i want it.

Since last time, I should add I have had a full service, and autogearbox oil change courtesy of PhilT4, and an OEM, Dual socket detachable towbar fitted. The loom was not quite right as it was from an early vehicle by the looks of it. This may have plugged in to a PPD car with no issues, but this required a bit of fettling to get right as it was not plug compatible with the relevant link kit for a later car like mine. The important thing is it is all working perfectly - many thanks To PhilT4 and JohnH.

All that remains from my perspective is to get my serpents refurbed at some future point, other than that, the car is now exactly how i want it.

Mods:

FBH
Revotec Fan
Inline 'stat
Xenon lights + washers
Miracast box
Glasses holder
Flip Key
Twin Horns
Drivers cupholder
HK Speakers
Chrome bullet mirrors
Digital speedo
LED interior bulbs
Resler interface
USB charging sockets x2

Last edited by awvc1; 28th April 2016 at 15:41..
Old 28th April 2016, 15:40   #269
awvc1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

not strictly part of the project work, but much of the work carried out could have affected this - positively or negatively - MOT time today.

Fortunately it passed with advisories on pad wear only. So the story continues for another year at least.

Mods:

FBH
Revotec Fan
Inline 'stat
Xenon lights + washers
Miracast box
Glasses holder
Flip Key
Twin Horns
Drivers cupholder
HK Speakers
Chrome bullet mirrors
Digital speedo
LED interior bulbs
Resler interface
USB charging sockets x2
Old 29th April 2016, 06:59   #270
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

All good Tony, just get the last few bob's worth out of the brakes, and we will change them over for you at either a S&S meeting, or one of our car modding days, sure we have a pad set or two in stock atm, so could be on to a winner !
Makes a change for you to be on the winning side !
Good news on the test matey !

Cheers, JohnH.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote