Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th October 2016, 14:59   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Between the face of the hub and inside of a brake disc is one place never to apply copper grease, I cringe when I see it on the drive flanges when a disc is removed.

Basically if you see a bolt which has traces of blue or red on the thread form, these are Patchlok bolts, and if reusing them, a spot of anaerobic threadlock should be employed, ie loctite 243 or similar, similarly nut and bolts with nyloc nuts should not be lubricated

In the case of rear wheel bolts in particular, they should not be slathered in anti gall grease, as this has a propensity to distribute itself inside the handbrake drum area, a case of less is best in this case.

If any lubricant is employed on a fastener which has been previously used, the torque settings should be reduced by 5% from specification.

Brian

Last edited by marinabrian; 16th October 2016 at 15:02..
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 11:43   #12
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Basically if you see a bolt which has traces of blue or red on the thread form, these are Patchlok bolts, and if reusing them, a spot of anaerobic threadlock should be employed, ie loctite 243 or similar, similarly nut and bolts with nyloc nuts should not be lubricated
I support this one!

I have noted that traces of blue or red threadlocker are seen on a lot of bolts that basically not need it. I suspect this is not for locking them in place, but to seal the threaded area from the environment to avoid seizing due to corrosion. Brake caliper carrier bolts for example...

I talked with one of the old school guys a couple of years back, and their best advice was to use underbody sealant (tectyl/dinitrol i.e.) to the threads prior to assembly as this keep the threads protected from the environment and do not dries out like grease i.e. over time.
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 19:48   #13
Frogmella
Loves to post

2003 (03) Pre-Facelift 1.8 Club SE Auto Petrol Non Turbo Saloon

Coincidentally, today I got the current edition (Nov 16) of Car Mechanics magazine it has an article on this subject. Basically it mirrors this thread.
Frogmella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 21:09   #14
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
I have noted that traces of blue or red threadlocker are seen on a lot of bolts that basically not need it. I suspect this is not for locking them in place, but to seal the threaded area from the environment to avoid seizing due to corrosion. Brake caliper carrier bolts for example...
I think this is to do with bolt sizing vs torque requirements - the maximum torque a small bolt can handle is actually quite low, even in high tensile form. As such threadlock is used as a way of increasing the effective tightness without requiring more torque on the fastener - I think at least!
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 21:09   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Highly overloaded bolts like that can also fail in use.----

Your wheel, Sir, went thataway-------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 22:07   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I wonder why MarinaBrian doesn't like copper grease there. I always use it like you do Mr MG John.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 22:11   #17
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Just about all of them except-------------------those the manufacturer says put Thread Lock on.---

If you do lubricate your wheel bolts DON'T lubricate the taper section that buts against the wheel itself.

Otherwise you might hear somebody say--Your wheel went-- ---thataway.
I have done this now for past 20 years, after having had to stuggle with wheel bolts. I have never had a wheel bolt loosen. Never did it for steel wheels. Only with alloy wheels after struggling to remove when they seized at the flange. I do get your reasoning, but I am smearing the remnants of the line smeared onto the thread.

I do also smear a little onto the face of the wheel/hub where they meet and flange of the hub (elsewhere though, invites trouble as centrifugal force could splash residue onto the discs ) . And this comes after having to give the wheel a more than is safe thump to remove from the hub.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 22:20   #18
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

There is a good reason why the flanges and disc faces should be very carefully cleaned and bolted together dry.

Unless the coat of grease is completely uniform without any specks of grit or dirt (highly unlikely) you will introduce run out to the disc (extremely likely).

When I fit discs, I always check them for run out with a DTI, and if excessive I will remove and recheck the surfaces, and even rotate the disc on the flange irrespective of whether the retaining CSK screw is in alignment to obtain the best figures.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 05:28   #19
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
John, there is a good reason why this is bad practice, the flanges and disc faces should be very carefully cleaned and bolted together dry.

Why is this I hear you ask?, the answer is simple unless the coat of grease is completely uniform without any specks of grit or dirt (highly unlikely) you will introduce run out to the disc (extremely likely).

When I fit discs, I always check them for run out with a DTI, and if excessive I will remove and recheck the surfaces, and even rotate the disc on the flange irrespective of whether the retaining CSK screw is in alignment to obtain the best figures.

Brian
While we all agree that the disk must run true, I can assure you that the presence (or not) of grease behind the bolts is not going to affect that aspect one iota. It would have some effect on friction however, but that is another story.
Old 18th October 2016, 09:15   #20
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

I'm not very good at explaining things but basically I use grease on exterior bolts (such as exhaust hangers etc) to prevent them from seizing due to environmental exposure and use Copperslip on what could be considered critical (such as suspension bolts, wheel bolts etc) and between the faces of dissimilar metals to prevent them fusing together. Thread lock is to be used when advised (mounting bolts such as seats etc) but on its own and not put on then anything else used over it.

Heat is another reason to use Copperslip, for example heat causes metal to expand and results in faces seizing together so when replacing injectors they get a light coat of Copperslip (around the body and NOT on or near the nozzle) as this will prevent the injector seizing in place and aid future removal (granted we do this on ships as injectors are removed every few thousand hours and there is a lot more heat and carbon build up but can also be beneficial on other engines).

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote