Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th December 2016, 10:15   #21
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi90 View Post
When did the laws change? I passed my test in the early naughty's so am also B only, but the examiner said I'm fine to tow upto 3500kg total. Anymore more or a higher trailer weight than the tow car would require the B + E test. I asked as at the time my ex wife and I just got our first caravan and she wasnt keen on towing.
Been towing all sorts since then (well within the 3500kg total weight limit) and never had any issues.

Checked https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/what-you-can-tow and it looks like I'm right (phew, cant be doing with paying for another test)
Looks like I was wrong on the specifics, but the sums still don't work.

B only means:
"tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg"

MAM of a 75 is a smidge over 2 tons, any the lightest trailer I can find on Briam James' website that will take a 75 is 2,600KG MAM - that's a total of over 4.6 tons MAM which is obviously above the MAM allowed.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 13:03   #22
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
make sure the trailer looks respectable, clean, 4 wheeled, and not a home made lash up. A rented trailer should be ok but check it, I once almost had the actual coupling come unbolted from the A frame. Check the brakes work and also free off ok.
- Also check all lights including side lights on wings, presense and air in spare wheel (take a jack etc) We all forget the stupid things like remembering to lift and secure the jockey wheel and fix the safety brake over-run chain.
- make sure the load is properly lashed down - ok, I've used odd chains and ropes etc, but the proper ties to a better job, look better and more professional
This is all excellent advice - treat the safety & security of your trailer just as you would your own car. The tyres, bearings, brakes and chassis will not only be carrying a vehicle, but also the trailers' own weight, so make sure everything is in good order and don't assume a hire trailer will have been checked. Remember, if you get stopped or at worst have an accident that's attributable to the trailer, it'll be you that's responsible as you are the one using it on the highway.

Worth remembering that most Discoverys, Defenders and Range Rovers are rated to tow 3500kg with normal over-run brakes (or 4000kg with coupled brakes) so will do the job of moving a 75/ZT with ease & capacity to spare.

And as a rough rule-of-thumb, professional (not home built) transporter trailers come in two categories:

2600kg gross - weigh approx. 600kg, can carry approx. 2000kg, and...
3500kg gross -weigh around 800kg, can carry approx. 2700kg.
(The above, of course, is all subject to using a suitably rated towing vehicle).

And one last thing, check the trailers tyre pressures before you are about to load - an under inflated tyre will look ok when only carrying the trailers own weight, but will be soft & dangerous once loaded & heading off down the motorway at 60mph...
Old 8th December 2016, 14:21   #23
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi90 View Post
When did the laws change? I passed my test in the early naughty's so am also B only, but the examiner said I'm fine to tow upto 3500kg total.
It changed on 19th January 2013 - sch.3, s.46(vi), The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Amendent) Regulations 2013.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 14:28   #24
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Be careful if you have had a re-issued license as it has bben known for some groups to be left off the new license.
Old 8th December 2016, 19:12   #25
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

A handy link to check your license and what categories you can drive and what the categories mean:

https://www.viewdrivingrecord.servic...licence-number
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 23:49   #26
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Be careful if you have had a re-issued license as it has bben known for some groups to be left off the new license.

Yes. be especially careful as you get older. Unless you take specific action when your license is renewed at age 70 you will lose all entitlements except to drive a simple car, no trailer, no motor bike, nothing, so be prepeared. I understand that previous entittlements cannot be backdated onto your lecense shoudl you fail to take the necessary action at the time.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 00:00   #27
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
2600kg gross - weigh approx. 600kg, can carry approx. 2000kg,
Useful info- the smaller professional trailer rated at 2600kg, weighing 600kg, loaded with a 75 weighing 1600kg max totals 2200kg. Over the official recommended max towing load but not by too much in my opinion.

Looking at the DVLA site on towing weights it doesn't actually say that towing such a load is illegal and this is where all the confusion remains.
Old 10th December 2016, 09:01   #28
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Useful info- the smaller professional trailer rated at 2600kg, weighing 600kg, loaded with a 75 weighing 1600kg max totals 2200kg. Over the official recommended max towing load but not by too much in my opinion.
It's not a recommendation - it's an absolute threshold.

(EDIT - Assuming you mean max braked weight on towcar)
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 09:47   #29
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Yes. be especially careful as you get older. Unless you take specific action when your license is renewed at age 70 you will lose all entitlements except to drive a simple car, no trailer, no motor bike, nothing, so be prepeared. I understand that previous entittlements cannot be backdated onto your lecense shoudl you fail to take the necessary action at the time.
What are the necessary precautions please?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 23:50   #30
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
What are the necessary precautions please?
Harry, unfortunately I'm not actually sure. Check your license expiry date it will likely be your 70th birthday. I understand the DVLA should write to you to give you the chance to renew and I think you will need to provide a note from your doctor to say you are fit to drive. Might even be an idea to phone them up to enquire.

Surely one of our +70 members has been through this process and can give chapter and verse?

As with anything sent to the DVLA, make sure you 'lose' your existing license so you can't find it to send to them. Remember in cases in the past when people have sent licenses in for change of address etc, they became lost in the system, there was no record of that person ever having a license or passing a test, so had to start again. I believe one such victim was a police motorcyclist!

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but with some of the things you hear about the DVLA , although I'm told they are improving despite the lack of local offices. It would be good to hear from others' experiences withthe DVLA, is there a suitable existing thread?