Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th June 2017, 21:53   #1
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Angry Looking for brake discs that last more than 5 mins !

I've just returned from a 1300 mile return trip to Cornwall afraid to brake due to shaking of the front of the car at high speed and surging braking action coming to a halt and it's got me worn out ! I've fitted two sets of Delphi discs after having the first set replaced under warranty, my warranty has now expired from it's original fitting date so i'm looking for recommendations such as Mintex etc. I know my wife's driving style is probably to blame as she uses it to go to work and holds the brakes on after heavy braking when coming off the motorway probably causing the warping. However I don't think it's her fault fully as the original Rover discs lasted close to 100,000 miles and were replaced because they were worn out. I also want to be able to walk into a branch to collect so wondering if anyone knows what the likes of Andrew Pages or ECP stock.

Thanks

Peter
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 22:02   #2
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 06:54   #3
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

We owned a VW UP until recently that developed a brake problem.

It started with the brake judder when coming to a stop. I purchased a pair of new discs and MINTEX pads from ebay. The discs were pattern parts.

Within 50 miles the brake judder returned, I was a bit cheesed off with it so I took it to my local private garage (that I have used for years). I told them that it was juddering but I had already fitted new discs and pads. They fitted new discs and it seemed ok. Within a few miles the judder was back so I took the car back to the garage. They said the discs must be faulty and would be replaced under warranty. Next day, new discs fitted yet again, and off I went. Yes, you guessed it within a few miles it was back. I thought "this is getting beyond a joke". The only two things that could cause this problem was the discs or the pads, I decided to replace the MINTEX pads with EBC "green stuff" pads. Judder GONE and never came back. I drove to the garage and told them what had happened, they were shocked to hear my experiences with the MINTEX pads, but like I said, it was the pads at fault and not the discs.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 07:35   #4
mbev51
Banned

Removed

I've used mintex for 35 years but the front set I put on the 75 warped after 2 years. I bought some s/h eicher unused discs and put them on, so far no juddering. So I've gone off mintex a bit.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 08:04   #5
Xlr8

MG ZT-T CDTi Auto

Default Pagid for me!!

Hi all,

I work in the motortrade so have fitted hundreds of sets of discs to hundreds of different cars. Each experience is different I know, but by far the brand with the lowest return rate we have used is Pagid and are our 'go to' brand.

We do fit Mintex on occasion and haven't had many issues, same with Eicher and Brembo. We don't really ever fit anything else! Its Pagid for me though!!

Pagid, Eicher and Brembo are all available at Euro Car Parts, and no, I don't work for them!
Xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 09:24   #6
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8 View Post
Hi all,

I work in the motortrade so have fitted hundreds of sets of discs to hundreds of different cars. Each experience is different I know, but by far the brand with the lowest return rate we have used is Pagid and are our 'go to' brand.

We do fit Mintex on occasion and haven't had many issues, same with Eicher and Brembo. We don't really ever fit anything else! Its Pagid for me though!!

Pagid, Eicher and Brembo are all available at Euro Car Parts, and no, I don't work for them!
I'm also in the trade and have fitted many pads and discs over the years without problems but my wife uses the Rover every day to get to work which is a 50 mile trip there and back but she seems to be causing issues with the car with her poor driving style but I wouldn't dare tell her that ! Thanks for the recommendation on Pagit so I'll give those a go.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 09:33   #7
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
I work in the motortrade so have fitted hundreds of sets of discs to hundreds of different cars. Each experience is different I know, but by far the brand with the lowest return rate we have used is Pagid and are our 'go to' brand
Funnily enough I have been looking for recommendations about brakes for mine and came accross this thread the other day! Warning about pagid brake pads

Just goes to show eh?
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 10:47   #8
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Hi all,

It's embarrassing crawling in heavy traffic with the braking making a squealing noise. As your in the trade, you might know how I can get it sorted?
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 11:13   #9
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

We rarely had problems with brakes in the "old days"! As with most things, most parts are imported now. We spent decades getting the quality right. I used to live near Mintex at Cleckheaton and have seen the old research and testing facility. Brilliant. More recently, price is chosen over quality and our industries have gone out of business. The "new" manufacturers are still learning about metals and manufacturing but seem more driven by profit!
Old 18th June 2017, 21:13   #10
Xlr8

MG ZT-T CDTi Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintee View Post
Funnily enough I have been looking for recommendations about brakes for mine and came accross this thread the other day! Warning about pagid brake pads

Just goes to show eh?
My first thought when looking at those pads was excessive heat, which funnily enough other members mention in the posting. If a brake has an issue, it may not always be apparent. A caliper holding pressure even slightly can cause a pad to overheat and cause exactly this.

As I said, we've had far less warranty claims against Pagid and have been fitting them for years!
Xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote