Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th August 2017, 13:14   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Default This is what I mean by Fast Fit Brake Bodges.

I plan to fit some MG ZT 190 Calipers and Discs to my favourite ZT-T 1.8T.

So earlier today, made a start to clean up and inspect a Pair of ZT-190 Calipers ready to fit them.

Look at the attached couple of images including at close up. One of the three springs which should locate INSIDE the hollow of the Caliper Piston has "escaped" during fitting and been crushed. Poor show. It means that the Pad could twist in its location with the unwanted "shim" trapped on one side of the Brake Piston.

It's little things like this that make all the difference to how well a car can perform.
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 14:18   #2
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Pretty poor show. It is a pity that the training provided to these fitters allows that kind of thing to happen. not as if it would nt have been obvious at the time is it, must have really struggled to get everything back together with a clip out of place.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 20:54   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

there really are some butchers working as muckaniks. No slight on butchers. Things like that should be reported to the company concerned if known, then perhaps the idiot who did it could be given a dressing down and given more training.
Old 6th August 2017, 10:49   #4
dbt01
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
... then perhaps the idiot who did it could be given a dressing down and given more training.
In all probability not, unfortunately.
Nobody cares less these days.

David
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 11:45   #5
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

That's a fact I've had a sweet running vectra diesel wrecked as during oil change they forgot to refill with new oil, engine mounting bolt sheared off, brake pipes wrapped around an axle because the fitter made it too long..that's why I try to do the work myself if possible..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 18:26   #6
Elliott
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Please do not tar all technicians with the same brush, there are really good dedicated techs out there who hate the dishing down they get because of the minority. on a massive white sheet people tend to look at the small black dot in the middle forgetting the rest of the sheet
Old 6th August 2017, 21:25   #7
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I know this is a generalisation but if you avoid the places that pay the mechanics more on the amount they do in an hour rather than an hourly rate.

The problem the places like Quick Fit and Halfrauds pay there technicians piece work. That is great for them but it does not encourage a quality job.

In truth I am not sure why anybody actually uses them, they are not that cheap and there parts have a bigger mark up.

If you don't do your own work on your car find a local one man band who has a good reputation, there hourly rate is often a lot less than a bigger workshop and they have a reputation to keep. Some will even let you supply the parts but be care full because if you supply the wrong part you will probably get charged extra.

Ask about I am sure people you work with will recommend somebody.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 21:33   #8
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

There's a lad at work who used to work for Charlie browns and quickfit. I told him the discrepancy in braking between my f/o/s and f/n/s brakes and he suggested using a sharp knife to put a nick in the outer seal of the piston and fire wd40 into the cavity.
My thought was - when is a seal not a seal? - if you get my drift.
And yes, it's all down to speed. Taking out and cleaning the piston properly takes longer than cutting a seal.
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 22:56   #9
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

One of my customers bought a Focus with lots of receipts and a full service history, the sad thing was they were mostly from Halfrauds .

The first time I got it for a service and apparently less than 6k since the previous one done by the above.

The oil filter was rusty, the oil looked very old and stunk like old oil. The disc pads at the front were so low my guess they would have done less than a few hundred miles before the metal backing would have been in contact with the discs. According to the receipts the owner told me afterwards they had been replaced within the last 12 months.

The air filter was black and I don't think the spark plugs had ever been replaced as they were FoMoCo branded and I am sure they are only fitted by the factory.

When I returned the car to its owner he reckoned it was transformed.

The receipts added up to over £1500 in 5 years and I am not sure much if anything had been done in that 5 years.

They are relying on the reliability of modern cars and the fact that most owners change there cars every few years.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 23:51   #10
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Glad I did. The Coolant Expansion Bottle had been filled to the brim leaving no air gap ... for coolant expansion. I was about to drive 100 miles up to London. That could have cooked the engine if I had not done that simple check. Half an hour later they had rectified things and at last I was on my way.
The cap is (meant to be) the weakest link - so even if overfilled it should sort itself out.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote