Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th August 2017, 22:48   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Plenty of room for the screw clamp type. No damage to gators.
Yes, however if you don't possess a ball joint breaker, remembering the bottom ball joint has a parallel pin secured with a bolt, an exhaust clamp is a much cheaper option which works beautifully

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 02:00   #12
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Make sure the gators dont bite you .
Or should it be gaiter?
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 02:02   #13
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Yes, however if you don't possess a ball joint breaker, remembering the bottom ball joint has a parallel pin secured with a bolt, an exhaust clamp is a much cheaper option which works beautifully

Brian
Brilliant write ups Brian
Glad there are some people left who use their own initiative.Top Man
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 09:17   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Buy a 30/32mm King Dick offset ring spanner LINK, a 60mm exhaust U clamp and proceed as follows

Jack up car, remove front wheel, carefully unstake hub nut, then fit space saver wheel and lower the car back onto the ground.

Turn steering to full left lock then take out ignition key and engage steering lock, fit spanner to hub nut and have an assistant press the ball of their foot against the ring of the spanner to prevent it slipping and stand on the end of the spanner and bounce.......I've never had this method fail to slacken the hub nut

Once the hub nut is part removed, press the centre of the CV joint inwards with your thumb, if you're lucky it will be a sliding fit in the hub drive splines, if not using a baulk of timber and a club hammer, drift the cv joint inwards.

Jack up the car, remove the wheel and place securely on axle stands.

Now undo the pinch bolt at the bottom of the swivel hub and remove it completely, and tap an old flat bladed screwdriver into the slot to expand the part which sleeves around the bottom ball joint.

Next job is to fix the exhaust clamp over the lower track control control arm adjacent to the lower ball joint, leaving enough space to slot a prybar between the underside of the arm and the U clamp, next stage is the fun part, stand on the end of your prybar and watch in amazement as the joint is separated without damage to the rubber boot, or indeed the lower arm itself.

With assistance manoeuvre the hub into a position where the outer CV can be separated from the swivelhub, and keeping the driveshaft in straight alignment with the differential housing using your stout flat screwdriver or small prybar pop the shaft out the gearbox after placing a clean container to catch the resultant oil loss from the gearbox.

The old oil seal can now be removed from the differential casing and the new seal installed using your preferred method.

Reassembly

Pack the circlip groove of the inner cv joint with grease and carefully centralise the circlip after cleaning the seal running face of the shaft with 800 grade wet and dry lubricated with a little spray of wd40 until it is smooth and clean, then dip a clean finger into your gear oil container and wipe the shaft with oil in the seal area.

Now with an assistant carefully enter the shaft into the planetary gears of the differential avoiding the lip of the new seal being damaged.

Once the shaft is almost fully home, a tap with a suitable piece of wood used as a drift on the inner CV and your hammer will result in the shaft fitting fully home, the integrity of the circlip can now be checked by gently pulling on the inner CV, not the driveshaft to make sure it is securely fastened to the differential gears.

A quick wipe of moly grease into the splines of the outer CV joint and the shaft can be refitted to the swivel hub and the nut fastened finger tight.

Wire brush the rust from the lower arm ball joint pin, and a quick spray of WD40 will assist refitting the pin to the swivel hub,

Note

Once the ball joint pin is entered into the swivel hub, it is a matter of great importance the angle of entry is correct and it will fit easily without force, a jack with some timber can be placed directly underneath and the joint placed under slight tension whereupon adjusting the angle by pushing or pulling dependent upon the angle of the ball pin will result in the pin simply slotting back into the swivel hub.

Now come the important bits, ensure the pin is fully home in the swivel hub with the groove in the pin aligned with the bolt hole in the swivel hub, and refit the bolt after smearing the plain shank with coppaslip, and tighten the bolt to 65Nm, not 45 as stated in Haynes

Remove the exhaust clamp U bolt, then jack up the car, and fit the spacesaver wheel once more.

Now this is where it gets clever, turn the wheels to full right lock, nip up the original nut with the 32mm spanner until it is just tight, again with your assistant placing their foot on the ring of the spanner to ensure it does not slip off the nut, tighten the hub nut until the previously staked part of the nut aligns exactly with the cutout on the end of the CV joint, at this point it can be assumed that the driveshaft nut is tightened to the correct torque as before it was disturbed, and using a suitable parallel punch restake the nut to the CV joint.

The gearbox filler plug can now be removed and using a suitable length of pipe and funnel can be used to refill the oil drained out previously.

Finally jack up the car and refit the correct wheel, take the car for a spin and make sure there are no leaks.

If you are satisfied the gearbox is now oil tight, all that remains to do is drain the gearbox fully and replace the oil with the correct amount

Hope this helps

Brian
Thank you Brian, you make it sound so simple. I think you once before told me to get a 32mm king dick and I did just that thank you, works a treat on the rear hub nuts.

sorry I understand this bit

Next job is to fix the exhaust clamp over the lower track control control arm adjacent to the lower ball joint, leaving enough space to slot a prybar between the underside of the arm and the U clamp, next stage is the fun part, stand on the end of your prybar and watch in amazement as the joint is separated without damage to the rubber boot, or indeed the lower arm itself.

if I go over the top of the track rod with the U part, the bits in the middle of this picture#
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-M...MAAOxyRhBSzSXv

where does the small part of the exhaust bracket, the bit with the 2 holes go? does it go under here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIRTH-FRON...8AAOSwsXVZaX6R

this will mean as they separate they only separate by a small amount and then the bracket is removed and them be fully separated, is that correct?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 09:25   #15
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
can you provide a link to one of these so I know what I'm looking at

macafee2
Old 13th August 2017, 09:29   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
You forgot 3/4" adaptor or any 3/4" sockets... they aren't cheap.

You don't really want a pickle fork separator, either - easy to damage ball joint gaiters with them. Not sure what access you have for the press style ones though.

£230 for a torque wrench is madness - for an amateur mechanic. I picked up a used Sealey one for less than £30 off eBay (3/4", can do 400nm).
you are right it is but I paid some 2k+ for a shot blaster, compressor and upgraded electrics last year and have used it once for about 20 minutes.
The work is still on my list of jobs to do and no doubt it will be winter before I get the time.

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 13th August 2017 at 13:59.. Reason: spelling
Old 13th August 2017, 13:05   #17
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
can you provide a link to one of these so I know what I'm looking at

macafee2
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ball-Joint...ZCoPMSPuyoFe5w
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 14:12   #18
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I have just had to watch a Youtube video to learn how to use one

macafee2
Old 13th August 2017, 14:47   #19
Hantsdave
Loves to post

2004 CDTi SE TOURER

Ian, I've been following your battles with this little project and would have offered to come over to help but domestic matters prevented it.
How far have you got? and what are you struggling with?
I'm free now if you're really stuck and probably have the tools you need.

Cheers

David.
Previously owned..Austin Mini Countryman, Austin 1100 VDP, Princess 2200HL (x2), Ambassador VDP, TR7, Triumph Stag, Rover 820, Rover 216 GSi, Rover 420D, Rover 600 Si, Rover 600 GSi, Montego GSi, Rover 216 cabriolet, Jaguar XJ6 Gold, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Tourer CDTi (x3), Rover 75 CDT x 2, Rover 75 Connie V6, Rover 45. Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 x 2, Jeep Chrokee KK Plus a few other foreign ones I'm too embarrassed to mention..
Hantsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 15:17   #20
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I have just had to watch a Youtube video to learn how to use one

macafee2
Only issue is access - on my Megane you can't get it anywhere near the ball joint, but for track rod ends its fantastic.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote