Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th October 2017, 19:58   #1
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Default Ipswich . Anyone in the vicinity to view a car for me?

found an MG ZT cdti in ipswich i might be interested in, but it is over 4 hours away from me.

anybody in the area fancy taking a look at it for me?

it needs two new shocks on the front as well and I'm not sure how much that will cost.? any ideas?

and it also needs wing mirror bolts/screws to re attach the passenger mirror, and also needs new mirror glass on he drivers side mirror.

and has a scuff/slight knock on the rear bumper near the exhaust.

and tires are on the limit i think, with one having a bulge in it.
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 20:59   #2
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Thought I'd reply in public instead.

It's my old car, as per here - https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=255059 - new ad linked at the bottom from the new owner.

Mirrors are cheap - you can get a set of basic skullcaps like it has for less than £50. Quite easy to fit, just need the door cards removed.

Tyres could be needed on any car, but bear in mind that the correct 225/45/18 tyres aren't cheap - quality ones (my preference was Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's) are just over £100 a corner.

If the scrape on the bumper was the one that was there when I had it - it's not that bad at all (you can see it much better in the pics in my for sale thread). Especially not now it's a £650, 200k car!

I think it has the earlier "sports suspension" fitted (but you'd need to check!) - the dampers are OE only and £90 a corner. And when I had the top mounts changed in 2013 the springs were looking a bit corroded so you'd probably want to do those at the same time. Shock replacement has a book time of 2 hours - so £100 labour at an independant. But any 200k car is going to have worn out dampers - at least once they are replaced it'll drive like new.

Alternatively you could put budget tyres and the cheapest dampers available on eBay, depends how you like to maintain cars.

Do I think it's worth the asking price? Definitely, yes.
I'm assuming that your not put off by the mileage, but you won't find another with the service history and maintenance it's had. Nor are you like to find another with 170HP.

It's a hell of a lot of car for £650.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 23:37   #3
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

Question

Thanks for the reply.

the bumper seems worse than in your original pictures. seems to be some paint missing..

I don't mind spending on it, just hopefully not in one lump sum right after buying it. Also, its a bit daunting with any new type of car i've never owned before. I've never even driven one so for all i know i might hate it. But hopefully I'll love it. (as long as its more fun to drive than a Mondeo, it should be okay)

The guy also tells me it sometimes grinds to get to into first? but says its probably just the syncro?? is that bad or cheap/easily fixed? Should I be worried?

Re the mirrors, where could I get some bolts to re attach it? Are they of a standard design? as in, could I maybe have a look for the right size bolts in my shed somewhere perhaps? or pop into screw fix? lol

Thinking i might buy a replacement mirror glass and take some suitable bolts with me and stick them back on when I get there. Might make the 4 hour drive home less precarious maybe?

PS, your original sale states 160 bhp remap, but guy says its making 180 bhp.. is that genuinely possible? and is it likely to cook the clutch? or is it a porkie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Thought I'd reply in public instead.

It's my old car, as per here - https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=255059 - new ad linked at the bottom from the new owner.

Mirrors are cheap - you can get a set of basic skullcaps like it has for less than £50. Quite easy to fit, just need the door cards removed.

Tyres could be needed on any car, but bear in mind that the correct 225/45/18 tyres aren't cheap - quality ones (my preference was Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's) are just over £100 a corner.

If the scrape on the bumper was the one that was there when I had it - it's not that bad at all (you can see it much better in the pics in my for sale thread). Especially not now it's a £650, 200k car!

I think it has the earlier "sports suspension" fitted (but you'd need to check!) - the dampers are OE only and £90 a corner. And when I had the top mounts changed in 2013 the springs were looking a bit corroded so you'd probably want to do those at the same time. Shock replacement has a book time of 2 hours - so £100 labour at an independant. But any 200k car is going to have worn out dampers - at least once they are replaced it'll drive like new.

Alternatively you could put budget tyres and the cheapest dampers available on eBay, depends how you like to maintain cars.

Do I think it's worth the asking price? Definitely, yes.
I'm assuming that your not put off by the mileage, but you won't find another with the service history and maintenance it's had. Nor are you like to find another with 170HP.

It's a hell of a lot of car for £650.
Old 10th October 2017, 00:12   #4
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

Lightbulb

Quote:
I'm assuming that your not put off by the mileage, but you won't find another with the service history and maintenance it's had. .

Quick question about that, i forgot to ask before.. Is the M47R engine likely to have many miles left in it do you reckon? I know that's a 'how longs a piece of string' question, but any ideas? Anybody got any experience with this unit with 208k plus miles on the clock?

If I could get another 40k to 60k out of it I'd be happy with that. If it would be good for another 100k, even better.
Old 10th October 2017, 05:46   #5
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

My 75 has just over 230k on the clock, and there are quite a few on here with the same and even higher, so don't worry about the diesel lump having just over 200k

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 07:08   #6
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz View Post
Thanks for the reply.

the bumper seems worse than in your original pictures. seems to be some paint missing..

I don't mind spending on it, just hopefully not in one lump sum right after buying it. Also, its a bit daunting with any new type of car i've never owned before. I've never even driven one so for all i know i might hate it. But hopefully I'll love it. (as long as its more fun to drive than a Mondeo, it should be okay)

The guy also tells me it sometimes grinds to get to into first? but says its probably just the syncro?? is that bad or cheap/easily fixed? Should I be worried?

Re the mirrors, where could I get some bolts to re attach it? Are they of a standard design? as in, could I maybe have a look for the right size bolts in my shed somewhere perhaps? or pop into screw fix? lol

Thinking i might buy a replacement mirror glass and take some suitable bolts with me and stick them back on when I get there. Might make the 4 hour drive home less precarious maybe?

PS, your original sale states 160 bhp remap, but guy says its making 180 bhp.. is that genuinely possible? and is it likely to cook the clutch? or is it a porkie?
The synchro is part of the gearbox so not easily fixed, no, although it could be driver error just rushing the gearbox.

The bolts for the mirror are cheap to replace but the metal they screw into on the mirror is soft so it’s more likely it’s crissthreaded and the mirror will need replacing. I wouldn’t try to replace it by the side of the road unless you are comfortable taking a door card off on a ZT quickly.

The car had 170HP last time I had it on a rolling road (it’s got a decat also). I added a bigger intercooler but then took away the Synergy, EGR bypass and air intake mod when sold so if probably left with slightly less. The seller has added a larger down pipe which will increase power but I’m not convinced all that adds up to 180HP.

The clutch will wear faster with more power being transferred through it, but bear in mind it was running over 150HP since about 2012 and the whole clutch, dmf, master and slave cylinders was replaced about 2 or 3 years ago.
Old 10th October 2017, 07:11   #7
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz View Post
Quick question about that, i forgot to ask before.. Is the M47R engine likely to have many miles left in it do you reckon? I know that's a 'how longs a piece of string' question, but any ideas? Anybody got any experience with this unit with 208k plus miles on the clock?

If I could get another 40k to 60k out of it I'd be happy with that. If it would be good for another 100k, even better.
The engine is likely to be fine, but the rest of the car is going to be tired (example, the front shocks). It’s done 200k. You are going to need to spend money. That’s why it’s £650 and not £23k like when it was new.

Alternatively I replaced so many pets that there’s only 2 or 3 bits to do and then it’s fine for 200k... who knows.
Old 10th October 2017, 09:10   #8
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

Oh..okay. But it still had the ;

Saunders 160 remap
Pipercross Air Filter
GBE D-EVO Manual Boost Controller (24Psi)
G&M Aluminium Intercooler
SFS Upper and lower Silicone Intercooler Hoses

?

Also, What is the air intake mod you removed?

He says in his ad that it has an airbox mod? Is that the same thing?

And what did the synergy do? Excusing my ignorance..

And has anyone else had to have the synchro repaired? What did it cost any of you?

Thanks for the reply so far. Cheers.

Quote:
The synchro is part of the gearbox so not easily fixed, no, although it could be driver error just rushing the gearbox.

The bolts for the mirror are cheap to replace but the metal they screw into on the mirror is soft so it’s more likely it’s crissthreaded and the mirror will need replacing. I wouldn’t try to replace it by the side of the road unless you are comfortable taking a door card off on a ZT quickly.

The car had 170HP last time I had it on a rolling road (it’s got a decat also). I added a bigger intercooler but then took away the Synergy, EGR bypass and air intake mod when sold so if probably left with slightly less. The seller has added a larger down pipe which will increase power but I’m not convinced all that adds up to 180HP.

The clutch will wear faster with more power being transferred through it, but bear in mind it was running over 150HP since about 2012 and the whole clutch, dmf, master and slave cylinders was replaced about 2 or 3 years ago.
Old 10th October 2017, 22:56   #9
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

Question

Quote:
The engine is likely to be fine, but the rest of the car is going to be tired (example, the front shocks). It’s done 200k. You are going to need to spend money. That’s why it’s £650 and not £23k like when it was new.

Alternatively I replaced so many pets that there’s only 2 or 3 bits to do and then it’s fine for 200k... who knows.
Going back to the gear box grind for a moment... He says it only does it when dropping down into first.

any ideas?

I've been trying to google possible causes, and some owners seem to have had really bad difficulty selecting gears , so i'm worried it could perhaps get worse?

one owner finally discovered it was the slave cylinder..

another said they had loose and bent linkages..

and another ended up needing a new clutch.

I don't know what to think at this point, as i'm a little worried seeing as one of the selling points for me was the clutch already not long having been done.

But now i'm concerned, what if i might end up needing to get it done again?

Gear changes got so bad for one guy, he was stuck on side of the road holding up traffic and had to start car in 2nd just to get it moving again.

As good and as well looked after as this car is, i'm just worried now that it could potentially be needing some major money spending on it before i've even bought it.

OR it could be something quite simple.

Could the 208k miles and 180bhp just been too much for the gear box to cope with and its now on its way out?

It certainly seems a lovely car though.. & perhaps i'm worrying about nothing?