Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th December 2020, 12:59   #31
Edward Huggins
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
If that carpet is holding water it'll weigh about 200 pounds as they all do when wet, they don't dry out too quickly either. If I was doing that job again I'd lean underneath and knock out the floor pan bungs just before it rises for the back seat base. I'd get a drift and hammer them upwards till the water starts coming out.

Thanks for this one! Not having needed to do this before, if I prise these out/push them up, do these Bungs fit back in OK or do I need to put them back with a sealant? Is this the only underside area where I will find Floor Pan Bungs?
Edward Huggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2020, 15:41   #32
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Reseal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Thanks for this one! Not having needed to do this before, if I prise these out/push them up, do these Bungs fit back in OK or do I need to put them back with a sealant? Is this the only underside area where I will find Floor Pan Bungs?
You'll push them through the soundproof pad, it'll make a hole the size of a 50p and you just need to pop a bit of sealer on them and tap them back in. It's very simple with no carpet in.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2020, 16:35   #33
Edward Huggins
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Thanks. Are you saying I cannot do this from the underside (i.e. from the outisde) of the floor plan leaving (for the time being) the carpet in-situ?
Old 6th December 2020, 16:51   #34
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Yes you can.

Quote:
Thanks. Are you saying I cannot do this from the underside (i.e. from the outisde) of the floor plan leaving (for the time being) the carpet in-situ?
You push them from underneath upwards into the car, it's what I and many others should have thought to do in the past. After the bulk of the water drains through those holes it'll be far easier to lift out the carpet, taking it a step further, remove the seats and stand on the carpets to squeeze out the water.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 00:20   #35
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Today, I removed the 3 poppers and took out the panel (fiddly to remove) on the passenger side under the windscreen. I found a drain hole very near to the MID-POINT at the FRONT of the BASE of the Pollen Filter. It was not easy to find/see on first inspection. There was much water. I rodded it, it was blocked, and a lot water came out with some force. With the help from Member's here I at last found this drain point so I hope that will help others. I've yet to find any drain hole on the Driver's side of the scuttle/plenum under the wiper motor. I'll see now (rain is forecast) if there is any more ingress and report back.
There is another drain hole on the driver side 'hidden' below the servo, you can rod it with a small bottle brush on the end of a flexible wire (old fashioned plastic covered curtain wire will do it) - these both drain below the car near the sub frame via a couple rubber pipes with flapper valves on the ends. On a Mk1 there are two other drains located above the front wheel arch each end of the plenum chamber; on a Mk2 the O/S drain was deleted (the hole for it wasn't, MGR just put a rubber blanking plug in it) - these drain into the front wheel arch void via short tubes with 'duck bill' valves on their end.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 14:34   #36
Teranchelope
Regular poster

Rover 75 Facelift 54 plate saloon

Default Boot leaks

My saloon leaked past the lower trim of the rear window! Ran down and along inside right boot. Sylicone sealer smeared along trim helped.
Teranchelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 10:04   #37
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teranchelope View Post
My saloon leaked past the lower trim of the rear window! Ran down and along inside right boot. Sylicone sealer smeared along trim helped.
The rear window is bonded to the body, this keeps the water out and the glass in place. The trim is just 'a trim' and has no water sealing function other than to sit, where it touches, on the rear screen glass and the body shell. The 7 or 8 lower body clips that secure the trim often do permit water to leak past their fixing holes to the inside of the boot. Lots of guidance on here how to sort that particular issue.
Old 12th December 2020, 17:20   #38
Edward Huggins
Avid contributor

Rover 75

I'm still still struggljng with this. I've managed to pull up the driver's side rear footwell carpet and sponge out. But as there are no drain holes the for the very deep recess under the driver's seat or in the front driver's footwell (and also noticing that the carpet is all of one piece) I'm now wondering whether I should drill two (say 5/8") holes in the floor pan to allow drainage? I would then fit rubber bungs and seal over. Views? Too agressive a treatment?
Old 12th December 2020, 22:22   #39
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
I'm still still struggljng with this. I've managed to pull up the driver's side rear footwell carpet and sponge out. But as there are no drain holes the for the very deep recess under the driver's seat or in the front driver's footwell (and also noticing that the carpet is all of one piece) I'm now wondering whether I should drill two (say 5/8") holes in the floor pan to allow drainage? I would then fit rubber bungs and seal over. Views? Too agressive a treatment?
It's one way to go but not a good idea otherwise MGR would have done it, just find the leak and fix it/them.
Old 13th December 2020, 23:36   #40
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
It depends on how long you can go without your car but with mine I did a side of the car at a time, took out drivers seat and rear bench, lifted carpet one side at a time, faxed out as much water out the carpet as I could then left it like that to dry, (this was summer so could leave outside with a wind blowing through. Once the sponge was dry repeat on the next side. Once drivers side is done you could drive the car while the passenger side dries out. I also am lucky enough to have a warm garage to help things along too.
While the carpets are lifted hose down the car and check where any water dribbles in to find and seal up your leaks
Maxfly is offline   Reply With Quote