Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2nd March 2016, 19:53   #1
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Default Let's have some controversy - Posting On Others Cars For sale Threads

I see that it's once again fashionable to talk down other members' cars in the "Cars for Sale" section.

I am at a complete loss as to why some members feel that this is acceptable behaviour.

I know that Rover ownership is not what it once was - I guess very few of us drive one to the village green with a beautiful memsahib in the passenger seat for a game of Sunday afternoon cricket and cream teas. But, what drives one member to do this to others?

Is it perhaps to compensate for some personal shortcoming?

Your views please - do you feel such behaviour is acceptable and perhaps the norm these days?

Last edited by Reebs; 4th March 2016 at 08:55.. Reason: Thread title Expanded
Old 2nd March 2016, 19:56   #2
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Constructive advice delivered in a tactful manner which may aid the sale of the car is acceptable. Anything else is not.
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:09   #3
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I agree with the o p. and what another poster on the thread re car in question said, "discussion re price should be between potential buyer and the seller only. "
If I thought a car was overpriced, I would not bother enquiring or commenting about it,certainly wouldn't say so on the thread,as I wouldn't want the seller to lose a sale.
Lets put it this way, if you saw a private ad for a car for sale on say eBay or auto trader,would you ring the seller and tell them their car was overpriced?
I don't think so, so I believe the same courtesy should be given to members wishing to sell their car.
If the car is overpriced, people will not make contact,then the seller can think" why is it not selling," and reduce the price themselves to attract more interest.
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:14   #4
moorhouse.family
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer

Wink car sales

if you don't want to hear both sides of a story, (presume this refers to thread where some thought price as good and others thought over priced) don't put it on a forum. A forum in my book is for discussion and exchange of views. i would suggest both sets of views were quite valid and put quite reasonably. To sum up. If you don't want discussion on your car, sell elsewhere.

Michael
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:20   #5
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady zed View Post
Constructive advice delivered in a tactful manner which may aid the sale of the car is acceptable. Anything else is not.
Totally agree.
If you are not interested in buying a car, which a member is selling, why is it acceptable to criticize the sale? If you are interested in buying and think it is over priced then PM the seller with an offer.
Unfortunately acceptable standards of behaviour have gone out of the window with the growth of social media. People can sit at the keyboard and give views which in the majority of cases they would not do face to face.
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:23   #6
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhouse.family View Post
if you don't want to hear both sides of a story, (presume this refers to thread where some thought price as good and others thought over priced) don't put it on a forum. A forum in my book is for discussion and exchange of views. i would suggest both sets of views were quite valid and put quite reasonably. To sum up. If you don't want discussion on your car, sell elsewhere.

Michael
We are all enthusiasts of the marque on here,and are here to help each other out, making critical comments on the price a seller wishes to ask for their car, is NOT helpful.
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:27   #7
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Thank you for a well worded and constructive post.
I too have noted unnecessary criticism of members cars for sale, usually from members who over value their own cars.
Last Sunday I was privileged to see an immaculate Dorchester Red, I don't think the owner would ever sell it but if he did, I reckon he'd get at least £3,000.

Funny thing is, even if he put it for sale on the club for as little as £500, someone would find fault.
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:30   #8
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

I agree with the op it's not very nice to publicly slate prices advertised publicly. If you feel that strongly about it just send a nice little pm or do what I do don't reply
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:32   #9
markm1741
Banned

rover 75 v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhouse.family View Post

Michael
That's why I spend my £100 elsewhere to much controversial tittle tattle on here when selling as its all out in the open and your ridiculed as well. I for one will admit to it If you advertise here you take each comment as it comes if it's priced right it will sell if not expect the flack, these cars are only for those really outside the club Scene as most have them on here, mine get mentioned because its the way I present them for retail sale. If I sold on here I would be told as well it's to dear, not worth that it seams most want it for nothing which really is not good for the product in the long run. Priced right it sells its that simple have what is not available any where and you can name your price eg, V8 mg's last of them have a book of £2765 with average miles well at that I'll have 10.
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:41   #10
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Lets put it this way, if you saw a private ad for a car for sale on say eBay or auto trader,would you ring the seller and tell them their car was overpriced?
I don't think so, so I believe the same courtesy should be given to members wishing to sell their car.
OT, but I had this happen to me. Not a car for sale but, still, these people are out there.
Closed Thread