Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th November 2016, 20:02   #1
mcd840
Gets stuck in

Nissan NV300 Tekna 170 auto

Default renaults...anyone ?

guys can anyone reflect or comment on the following car - renault laguna mk 3 2.0 petrol 2008 initiale model

thanks
mcd840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 20:09   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Renault electrics - when they go wrong, its mega money (Sorry that's as far as my knowledge goes.)
Old 10th November 2016, 21:03   #3
Phill_190
Gets stuck in

MG ZT Saloon

Lots of gadgets but usual French car electrical gremlins. Also the interiors rattle like crazy
Phill_190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 21:05   #4
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Our family have owned four used Renaults between us over the years - three of them were disasters (two with electrical faults that never got sorted and one with a HGF). The trade are scared stiff of the Laguna and don't usually touch them, though the petrol engine has a better record than the dCI. Do check the gearbox is ok (another weak point), and the ignition 'key' card assuming they didn't swap to something else by this point.

I believe Car Mechanics bought a Laguna as a project car earlier in the year, and to be fair, it was less trouble than they were expecting, but with our experiences I'd probably only go for one with a decently long warranty.
Old 10th November 2016, 22:05   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

As mentioned they are pricey when they go wrong. And they tend to go wrong about 8 - 10 years old. Whatever price it is, there will be better/cheaper/easier to repair cars than the Laguna. My family have had Renaults for a very very long time. (45 years in fact! My uncle has been with the main Renault dealer here since 1971 - currently Parts Manager - and he wouldnt touch a Renault over 5 years old!).

Currently there are 4 in our family, and personally, I have had two, and hate them. Cheap, and not well put together. My brief experience with a 2007 Laguna II was poor. It wouldnt start for the test drive, and when they got it started we had to be recovered 1 mile down the road! (it was a 1.9 diesel - apparently the one to avoid,) I am quite negative about them to be honest. My own 5 and Megane never let me down, though, but they were older (89 and 96). But the materials were cheap and never seemed to go back together properly - even when repaired by the dealer! They did have very comfortable seats albeit made with cheap materials.

As mentioned, when they go wrong they are expensive. Some parts commonly fail and are better bought new from the dealer, because of this. My friend had a clutch go, and was quoted over £400 to replace, dealer prices are simply not worth it lol. I have heard the electric hand brake models of the III are problematic. Older Renault petrol engines used to be pretty bullet proof though (my dads Laguna I though, was killed by a failed ECU - his previous '94 19, is still going though with close to 200k miles)

Avoid if you can, even if you do get a good 'un, the build quality will just be sub standard compared to a 75/ZT.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 22:36   #6
mcd840
Gets stuck in

Nissan NV300 Tekna 170 auto

The one I have seen is a 08 2.0 petrol 34000 miles. Think the interior looks the part with it being top spec but still trying to decide whether to bother with a test drive or not.
mcd840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 23:18   #7
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

The Mk 3 Renault Laguna was the last model before they stopped making them, they are comfortable and the body/paintwork is actually pretty good.

The Intiale will be top of the range with lots of equipment, however Renault electrics can have a mind of their own and be difficult to fix.

Renault have made big strides in reliability recently, but an 8 year old Laguna may well have the niggles they were notorious for, despite their showroom appeal.

Make sure everything works, service history including the keycard start/stop and get a good warranty.
Old 10th November 2016, 23:25   #8
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

My advice don't bother. your wallet will thank you.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 10:28   #9
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

Burn it with fire.
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 10:45   #10
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Preface - I replaced my ZT with a Renault Megane (albeit a Renaultsport one!)

It hasn't been especially unreliable (although I've only had it a couple of months), although I have done a full front end suspension refresh, more as preventative maintenance.

No real issues with electrics, although most of the interior bulbs (i.e. behind ATC panel, in the window switches) have packed up which is annoying.

Key card is a daft design but I did get a new one for £70 which is at least cheaper than a 75/ZT...

Quite a few engine and suspension jobs on mine have been more difficult than on a 75/ZT and involved removing many more parts - but it's a small car with a big (relatively - 2.0 diesel) engine and a complicated suspension setup (Renaultsport). E.G. changing the coolant requires the battery, windscreen wipers, scuttle, undertray, wheel and arch liner to be removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
As mentioned, when they go wrong they are expensive. Some parts commonly fail and are better bought new from the dealer, because of this. My friend had a clutch go, and was quoted over £400 to replace, dealer prices are simply not worth it lol.
Thats about half the price of a clutch replacement from an XPart dealer... doesn't sound bad to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Avoid if you can, even if you do get a good 'un, the build quality will just be sub standard compared to a 75/ZT.
I can't comment on the Laguna - but the Megane is defined as "lower-medium B segment" which basically means "cheap hatchback". Every part of the interior is cheaper (and feels it!) than on a 75/ZT - but that's hardly a surprise.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote