Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th March 2017, 20:06   #1
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Moonstone diesel,X351 Jaguar and now MG ZT 260

Default Wheels off ground!

Hi,as mentioned before on the way to the MOT I had an ABS judder at low speed,after passing the MOT it constantly has traction control warning and ABS warning,would the MOT procedure put stress on the system to activate the warnings constantly.The warnings come up with the ignition without driving.Have been round and cleaned sensors and bearings,today I jacked the front of the car up and and put it into drive,still ABS judder at low speed,speedo works so I presume it could be the front nearside sensor,I then got above 30 mph and put cruise control on,my question should the cruise stay constant despite the wheels having no road contact as I noticed it sped up became erratic and the cruise disengaged.So can anyone confirm if cruise should work as normal with the front wheels off the ground.Its a launch car.This would help me narrow down the sensor options before getting too technical and putting multimeter and checking signals,which I am not too good at.Checked the traction control gear mechanism on the bulkhead,activates OK.Cleaned all connections on throttle body. Regards Ryszard...
ryszard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 20:31   #2
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Do you have marching tyre profiles on each wheel?

First port of call before anything else.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 21:50   #3
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_NI View Post
Do you have marching tyre profiles on each wheel?

First port of call before anything else.
Is that marching tyre profiles with "cat like tread" (due acknowledgement to Messrs. Gilbert and Sullivan)
rab60bit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 21:53   #4
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Hi Richard, the system won't allow you to test in such a fashion, from experience, small tyre size variation is unlikely to bother the system too much otherwise the problem would have manifest itself on the way to the test station not straight afterwards.
I have made an in-line plug in test lead which will require the use of a multi meter to read signals during wheel rotation and white chaly each gap in signal on the tyre. This will ascertain a signal drop or no signal at all on the affected corner. Even a VT-4 system only allows a certain speed to be reached before it cannot do accurate measurements.
Furthermore, Does the system have a constant ABS light showing with key in position 2 or does it go out, then come back on ?
In other words, does it pass the static test ?
Also, if the car is driven, does the cruise control activate and keep the car at the pre-determind speed?
The answers to these questions should point us in a direction before spending £ on guesswork.

Chat soon matey !
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 23:24   #5
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Hi,yes matching tyres,never had a problem till after the MOT.
Yes J,have constant ABS warning on all the time before starting the engine.Due to 'man flue' but now better have not yet driven it on the road to see if cruise control works as it should.Will probably do that later today.You may get a phone call from me.Is it OK to take for a drive with these warnings or could it shut down or go into some sort of safe mode?Regards Ry......
Old 14th March 2017, 06:16   #6
thundercat
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club SE

Excuse my ignorance but what is "traction control" and what 75 have this fitted, I understand ABS
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 07:44   #7
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
my question should the cruise stay constant despite the wheels having no road contact as I noticed it sped up became erratic and the cruise disengaged
This is normal. If the system detects sudden deceleration (not that word again!) or acceleration beyond a certain threshold it cuts out.

In a powerful RWD car, if you went through standing water and the car started to slow, if the car just kept putting more and more power into the back wheels to keep the speed up things would get very bad.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 11:06   #8
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Thundercat.

Traction Control is an option. The system compares the relative rotation of the driven wheels and reduces the power when one is slow, ie inside wheel on a very sharp turn, or when one spins up due to lack of adhesion. Brake is applied to the fast wheel and engine power reduced. All via special ABS unit + ECU
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2017, 00:14   #9
ryszard
Gets stuck in

KWIL,well described.Better explanation than I was about to put.Traction control was also an option,mainly on V6.I have a launch car so was standard.Still working on my problem!Regards Ry..