Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th March 2017, 11:15   #1
Edward Huggins
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default Rover 75 SNAPPED Front Coil Spring

I had just reversed my Rover 75 CDTi (late build 16/3/2005) out of my drive, then set off about 20 yards to be greeted by a tremendous bang. Got out looked around the underside but could see nothing, the tyre was OK. Reversed back into my drive and more very nasty noises. My Front O/S lower suspension coil had snapped and the sharp steel (45 degree) edge had carved out a 360 degree slice out of the inner side wall of a nearly new trye. Quite a shock to me - and the wallet!
I can't think of anything I could have done in terms of mounting kerbs or hitting potholes that could have caused it.
I'm worried about the near side coil now. Is there anything that can give a visual clue as to a potential fracture? The car has "only" done 76K. At least I was at home and not on the A12.....
Edward Huggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 11:30   #2
CLINTE
Loves to post

Rover & MG less

I would always replace springs in pairs and have done in the past when required - I am sure not everyone would agree with me but that is my view .

I would also recommend the spring protectors. They cost £15 - £ 20 and reduce the risk of getting your tyre shredded . I got mine from Allcarpartsfast by Endon Services - others suppliers are available.

CLINTE
CLINTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 12:27   #3
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Once the black coating on the springs has been breached corrosion sets in and this is where the fracture usually occurs. In my opinion Springs should be treated as a service item and replaced between 5-10 years dependant upon condition of black coating t. Keep spraying them with waxoyl now and again to preserve the finish.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 12:56   #4
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

I sympathies with this, as it happened to me this week.
I had no option but to replace the spring where the car settled as it was unable to move, this required me to work in the road and was far from ideal. I am fortunate that I had re-built the front end correctly 3 years ago (Without new springs) and everything came apart properly without any trouble at all (Unlike many others I have dealt with in the past).
I was most lucky really as there was no tyre damage at all, but I have the tyre protectors ready to fit now !
I would do a pair at a time if the cost can be easily met, or stagger the other one to next month to keep budget in mind.
Powder coating on these is rubbish really as soon as a chip in the finish happens, it allows dampness to attack the metal and the coating provides a jacket to retain the moisture to complete it's task. I smother the new units in grease to try and delay the inevitable process of corrosion.
Finally, bear in mind that if it is all coming apart, it is worth replacing the top mount bearings when all is apart, saves repeat process.

Good luck with the repairs.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 16:36   #5
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Same thing happened to me earlier this month.
Two pieces of advice - First have a look under the soundproofing under the rear seat passenger side. There is a sticker there with the part numbers for front springs, rear springs and dampers.
Secondly - yes, replace both. I had all four done just to be on the safe side. Cost me twice as much as it should have done and they put the wrong springs on! I feel every divot and stone in the road now.
I'm going to be sorting out the proper springs when I can afford it and get them to refit while I watch.
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 17:37   #6
smeegol
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

had the same thing happen around 6 weeks ago. O/S spring snapped just as pulling away. Luckily not whilst doing 70 on motorway as it also did the tyrQuite a common fault
smeegol is offline   Reply With Quote