Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th April 2017, 00:43   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Wishbone arm ball joint keeps failing

Took my dad's 75 in for a MOT today and it failed on the nearside wishbone ball joint having excessive play. This is pretty annoying as it was replaced 6 months ago (the whole wishbone and the ball joint) and was replaced again just under a year before that. We've fitted a proper replacement both times not a cheap one as they just fail very quickly. so this is the third time it's failed in the space of about 18 months.

The driver's side has been fine the whole time.

Could there be something else wrong that could be causing the ball joint to fail so regularly?

The car isn't even used that much anymore, my dad used to do 100 miles a day for work but now he works locally in the next town and has done for over a year now, has hit very few pot holes so don't see what could be causing it
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 03:12   #2
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Hub itself prehaps has an issue?

My ztt failed on stretched pinch bolt which looked fine on removal but comparing it against another new one was some 3/4mm longer and had a narrow in the middle, I couldnt believe it when i removed it, new xpart one two years ago at engine swap on both sides.

So changed, torque'd up (and a little more than the 40nm lol) and she passed instantly.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 06:59   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Where are you sourcing these parts from? If the part has failed in under 12 months and has been bought from a reputable seller it will be covered under warranty.

Yes you still have the hassle of replacing the part.

I was given some supposedly genuine parts to fit to a car by its owner, the boxed looked OK but the quality of the part inside was very dubious, there is a lot of fake stuff out there.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 10:08   #4
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Is it play in the ball joint, or play in the hub where the ball joint goes into?

If the hub isn't clamped properly around the top of the ball joint, it can move and will open up the clamp as it wears making it worse, requiring a new hub. Had the same problem on mine. Typically caused by releasing the ball joint but then not doing the bolt up tight enough on reassembly (unfortunately "tight enough" appears to be far in excess of the official torque figure).
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 10:18   #5
Cavyman130
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

not quite as excessive as yours but I found my wishbones lasted a year, suppose I do cover high miles.
Cavyman130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 15:31   #6
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_NI View Post
Hub itself prehaps has an issue?

My ztt failed on stretched pinch bolt which looked fine on removal but comparing it against another new one was some 3/4mm longer and had a narrow in the middle, I couldnt believe it when i removed it, new xpart one two years ago at engine swap on both sides.

So changed, torque'd up (and a little more than the 40nm lol) and she passed instantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Is it play in the ball joint, or play in the hub where the ball joint goes into?

If the hub isn't clamped properly around the top of the ball joint, it can move and will open up the clamp as it wears making it worse, requiring a new hub. Had the same problem on mine. Typically caused by releasing the ball joint but then not doing the bolt up tight enough on reassembly (unfortunately "tight enough" appears to be far in excess of the official torque figure).
Agree with these comments This is a very , very common problem and an old thread here refers :
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...hub+pinch+bolt
My brother , who has many years experience on machinery maintenance , tells me that it is usual for such a clamp to relax or creep and open up more than original when released ; it will therefore require a little extra torque to restore original clamping when reassembled .

Last edited by chris75; 4th April 2017 at 15:39..
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 15:58   #7
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

I tighten the pinch bolts to 65Nm rather than the book value of 45 Nm to make sure the joint does not open up - I also place a scissor jack under the lower arm outer joint when replacing/tightening the pinch bolt, to make sure the ball joint 'pin' is pushed fully up into the pinch joint in the hub.

I have bought new pinch bolts from Rimmers in the past, but these often come absolutely plastered in threadlock, such that it is a struggle to get the nut on, down the threads and torqued up correctly. Even the new ones have a slight narrowing in the middle of the unthreaded section (presumably to allow space for the ball joint pin to pass through the pinch joint).

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 23:46   #8
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

The pinch bolt needs to be checked for wear after various monkies have over tightened it over the years, yes going tighter may well exert a greater force on the clamped area, but this will compromise the bolt diameter where it matters the most. The cost of replacing the nut/bolt is small fry against the stupidity of over tightening the fixing, narrowing the machined surface the ball joint relies on and ruining the whole arm assy in the process. An expensive process if you think about it properly.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote