Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th April 2018, 14:25   #1
kmtranter
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Default Advice on bmw 5 series sports tourer

It looks like the repair on my ztt will be more than the cars worth so am considering its replacement. I like that opening window on my ztt and have only seen the 5 series to offer this. I was just wandering if anyone has any advice, it will be more likely the 2.0 diesel, but it will have to be a high mileage model. Also as rover/mg use the bmw 2.0 diesel will it still be a timing chain instead of cam belt.
kmtranter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2018, 14:37   #2
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtranter View Post
It looks like the repair on my ztt will be more than the cars worth so am considering its replacement. I like that opening window on my ztt and have only seen the 5 series to offer this. I was just wandering if anyone has any advice, it will be more likely the 2.0 diesel, but it will have to be a high mileage model. Also as rover/mg use the bmw 2.0 diesel will it still be a timing chain instead of cam belt.
I always liked the 5 Series. As far as the diesel goes, the older ones had the M47 that the M47R Rover engine is in basic terms, BUT there are some problematic differences on the original BMW ones. Check to see which ones had swirl flaps - if any of the M47's did. They are trouble unless there is documentation proving they have been removed. The other thing about the BMW version is the turbo. They use a Variable Vane unit that is not as reliable as the basic type on the Rover. The newer 2.0 BMW engine is the M74 (I think) and it has got a lot of bad reviews for failures. It either has a cam belt or a weak cam chain.

I'd be looking for either an old 2.5 TD or 3.0 D, making sure the one I chose didn't have swirl flaps. In some cases the manual transmission cars came without swirl flaps while the automatic transmission ones had them.

Don't forget the 3 Series Tourer with the 2.5 or 3.0 diesels (again, without swirl flaps). They can be hot rods.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2018, 14:54   #3
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

The dilemma here is......

Do you spend the money on getting the ZT-T back on the road OR

Find a "high mileage" BMW diesel?

It looks like you've owned the ZT-T for several years so by now know all the quirks and know how she's been looked after.

Only you can define what she's "worth" but it's not really her resale value because we all know that's not a particularly big number. What's a ZT-T with a duff high pressure pump worth in £'s? I'll guess not much.

And the unknown BMW???

A great car or a money pit just waiting for someone else's (your) wallet .

There's plenty to choose from, from not a great deal of £££'s

I'm sure if you can find a "genuine" BMW it will be a great car.

Maybe a personal sale from one of the BMW forums might be a good place to look (if they have such a thing)?

I'd spend the money on keeping the ZT-T but obviously the decision is yours.

Good Luck.

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 12th April 2018 at 15:52..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2018, 15:07   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I seem to recall that some BMW wheels suffer from cracking on the side that is not seen but I don't know which ones

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2018, 15:27   #5
Amsca2
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T cdti

C5 has rear glass that opens on the tail. Not the prettiest but diesels are fairly robust. However nothing on a ztt or 75.

Fix the old bus.
Old 12th April 2018, 15:35   #6
kmtranter
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

As you said nothing on a 75 or ztt
Old 12th April 2018, 18:58   #7
Drummer Boy
Regular poster

ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtranter View Post
Might we ask what's wrong?
Drummer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2018, 19:04   #8
kmtranter
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Boy View Post
Might we ask what's wrong?
High pressure fuel pump needs replacing to get the car going, on top will need to replace brake pads as light is on, followed by an abs sensor and finally windscreen washer to be done before mot.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 12th April 2018, 19:30   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Those are very small to small items compared with buying an unknown car with highish mileage.

If I was to buy a BMW 5-Series or Mercedes E-Class with 100k+ miles, I would set aside £2k to sort out all the "little issues".
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2018, 21:10   #10
kmtranter
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

The main issue is the fuel pump, prior to breaking down i had a small fuel leak on the return side. But when overtaking the engine management light came on and lost power. I pulled into a layby the car stalled and wouldn't restart. I can't get the car to my mechanic so i dont know if anything else is wrong and instead of messing about trying to sort out the car without knowing whats being done will fix it or how long its going to take to fix i have to very regrettably look for an alternative as i need a car for work.
As you said buying a high mileage car can be problamatic and counter productive i am trying hard to think which way to go, and if i could find a 190 ztt with the same or better spec than mine i would have to consider it.