Closed Thread

Old 9th January 2021, 18:29   #661
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I wonder if you will need to show your vaccination certificate to go to the cinema or any other place where there are groups of people, can you imagine one person with covid going to a concert in a stadium? We will be back to where we are at the moment.

Errrr...... 1 person not vaccinated, and they need to be infected, and at the contagious stage. Now put them in a crowd (audience) where everyone else is vaccinated. What's the problem? Who's going to catch it? Only the non-vaccinated people: but everyone else is vaccinated. This is why it's not necessary to have a 100% vaccination rate to severely limit the spread of a virus.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Old 9th January 2021, 18:30   #662
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
They're not really, they are struggling. My wife is a nurse, the pressure they are under is unreal. What doesn't help is the shortage of staff, vacancies due to illness etc are usually covered internally within the ward by overtime or bank staff (general pool of staff available for overtime) but very, very few are willing to put themselves at additional risk by doing overtime in the current situation. More often than not my wife gets home from a 12 hour shift with her food untouched because she simply didn't have time to sit and eat it.
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you and she both manage to get through this.
A Nigerian mother of three
Old 9th January 2021, 19:13   #663
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

My wife has asthma so has to be careful at work. She's had her initial jab but that won't stop her getting it, only reduces the effect. Although she isn't in a covid ward (post surgical) there are patients in some of the side rooms who could be positive but are still awaiting the result of a test. Having asthma she's not supposed to enter those rooms but has to mix with staff who do. There is the possibility that she could be exposed to covid every shift she works and bring it home with her, concerning as I have numerous medical problems. I have to unlock the front door before she comes home, the dogs and myself have to stay in the lounge, she leaves her shoes, jacket etc in the porch then goes straight to the shower. Only after the shower can we greet each other. She brings her uniform home sealed in a special plastic bag which goes straight into the washing machine, one of the seams in the bag dissolves in a very hot wash. This has been the routine for close to a year now.

T4 Location Map
Old 9th January 2021, 19:36   #664
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Errrr...... 1 person not vaccinated, and they need to be infected, and at the contagious stage. Now put them in a crowd (audience) where everyone else is vaccinated. What's the problem? Who's going to catch it? Only the non-vaccinated people: but everyone else is vaccinated. This is why it's not necessary to have a 100% vaccination rate to severely limit the spread of a virus.

The 10% of people for whom the vaccine is not effective - or rather, the 40% of people for whom it isn't effective since they got their booster 12 weeks after the first jab instead of 3. Or maybe their health and their life isn't as important as some selfish individual who's happy to put others at risk so long as they get to swan around without making even the most minor adjustments for the sake of others.
Old 10th January 2021, 04:39   #665
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
1,000 per 100,000 is I believe 1%

The population of London around 20,000,000

1% being 20,000----

Brian, where are you ??????

Old 10th January 2021, 07:30   #666
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Yeah what a div, one percent of nine million is ninety thousand

As that was a couple of days ago, there may have been an exponential increase in cases of course

Never mind, at least there was only one ambulance outside A&E this morning at the RVI, and not a queue of them with nowhere to offload their patients

Brian
Old 10th January 2021, 14:46   #667
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
The 10% of people for whom the vaccine is not effective - or rather, the 40% of people for whom it isn't effective since they got their booster 12 weeks after the first jab instead of 3. Or maybe their health and their life isn't as important as some selfish individual who's happy to put others at risk so long as they get to swan around without making even the most minor adjustments for the sake of others.

I really don't believe that. If you're saying that 40% of vaccinations aren't effective then again, I'll ask, what difference does it make if one more person has not had an effective vaccination? See? The way I see it, none whatsoever. There's no practical differnce between the person that hasn't been vaccinated and one that's had an ineffective vaccination. If 40% haven't had an effective vaccination, I don't think 1% more (potential carrier) is going to make any difference.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Old 10th January 2021, 21:38   #668
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I also read that more than 40% of the population in the London area were not born in GB.

Probably got that wrong too.---Lol.
Old 11th January 2021, 14:07   #669
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
I really don't believe that. If you're saying that 40% of vaccinations aren't effective then again, I'll ask, what difference does it make if one more person has not had an effective vaccination? See? The way I see it, none whatsoever. There's no practical differnce between the person that hasn't been vaccinated and one that's had an ineffective vaccination. If 40% haven't had an effective vaccination, I don't think 1% more (potential carrier) is going to make any difference.

"Angela Rasmussen is a virologist at the Georgetown Center for Global Health Science and Security. Ilan Schwartz is an infectious diseases doctor at the University of Alberta, Canada"

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...edule-covid-19

Quote:
In the UK, the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation has expanded the timeframe for a second dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech mRNA vaccine from three weeks – the spacing used in the clinical trials that showed 95% efficacy in protecting against Covid-19 – to up to 12 weeks. (...)
The thinking goes: if we could vaccinate more people, that would save more lives and bring the pandemic to a close more quickly, right?

Probably not. According to the trial data, vaccine efficacy drops to around 50% after a single shot for both mRNA vaccines. While this estimate includes the 14 days immediately after the primary shot (before the maximum immune response is expected to kick in), it suggests that a single-shot regimen would provide substantially less protection. Even if the first 14 days are excluded, after which efficacy is estimated to be over 90%, the confidence intervals – or what scientists estimate is the range of the true efficacy – indicate that this protection could vary by nearly 30%.
(...)
There is just a short window of time for the immune system to mount a response after a shot. Hence a booster shot being necessary to “remind” the immune system about the protein it had briefly encountered. There is a significant risk that a single shot would be inadequate, particularly for elderly people, the group most in need of protection.
(...)
Another concern about using altered vaccination schedules or regimens is that this may result in exposing circulating virus to low levels of antibodies, leading to evolutionary selection of variants that may be able to bypass those antibodies. The spectre of these “escape” mutants has been invoked by the simultaneous independent emergence of variants with mutations in the receptor-binding domain of the spike protein, a key target for antibodies, in the UK, South Africa and elsewhere. We don’t yet know how changing vaccination regimens will affect the emergence of similar or even more worrisome variants, but there is the possibility that this could fan the flames.
You ask about the difference "one more person" can make. The new variant of the virus has been estimated to be 70% more transmissible, while the UK's revised dosing regime for vaccine delivery is likely to result in more people being vulnerable to infection for longer.

People can be infectious and asymptomatic, meaning that while they feel fine they can still infect other people. I'm neither elderly nor infirm, but due to my specific health circumstances, which ordinarily don't prevent me from living a full life, I still fall into the "clinically extremely vulnerable" section of the population. I certainly wouldn't want to go to the cinema unless I could be confident that everybody there had taken and was continuing to take all the steps they could to keep themselves and everyone around them as safe as possible. That aside, I also wouldn't consider going there without taking all the steps I could to minimise the risk to someone else's health, in case it turned out I was an asymptomatic carrier.
Old 21st January 2021, 13:10   #670
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

The Army logistics corps are helping organize the vaccine deliveries,
why hasn't the Medical corps been in training by the NHS since the first lockdown
(we were all warned that there would be a second wave) to man the Nighingale hospitals.
That would relieve the pressure on the NHS so they can get back to "normal" care.

On SW news yesterday
Bristol hospitals have just started to get limited military help.