Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th January 2021, 10:52   #1
Aldeburgh

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Would T4 Help Diagnose K-Bus Problem?

Morning,
I'm loving my recent Rover (facelift 2.5 V6 Auto Highline SE) but it's recently developed that fault where the indicators work on the outside but not the inside (no dash warning along with headlights and foglights).
I've found loads of useful information here regarding a K-Bus fault and spent the last few weekends trying the stuff with the plenum, fusebox, all the things in the boot and head unit but the problem still persists and I'm probably at the limit of my skill TBH.
I've read about the T4 diagnostic units - if I took the car to a dealer with one of those (I think there's one in Baldock) would it help in fixing the problem, or would I risk an expensive and potentially fruitless diagnostic session?
Old 17th January 2021, 11:35   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldeburgh View Post
Morning,
I'm loving my recent Rover (facelift 2.5 V6 Auto Highline SE) but it's recently developed that fault where the indicators work on the outside but not the inside (no dash warning along with headlights and foglights).
I've found loads of useful information here regarding a K-Bus fault and spent the last few weekends trying the stuff with the plenum, fusebox, all the things in the boot and head unit but the problem still persists and I'm probably at the limit of my skill TBH.
I've read about the T4 diagnostic units - if I took the car to a dealer with one of those (I think there's one in Baldock) would it help in fixing the problem, or would I risk an expensive and potentially fruitless diagnostic session?
It might, but as T4 communicates on the K-Bus it might fall down at the first hurdle.

I would suggest rather than heading to B&G in Baldock, you might be better booking the car at Souls of Olney as the standard of T4 operator they have is somewhat better than average

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2021, 11:46   #3
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:

I have never used them but Brown and Gammons in Baldock have a good reputation with some of the members on the forum
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2021, 22:03   #4
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

I would suggest rather than heading to B&G in Baldock, you might be better booking the car at Souls of Olney as the standard of T4 operator they have is somewhat better than average

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
I have never used them but Brown and Gammons in Baldock have a good reputation with some of the members on the forum
Excellent advice as usual by Brian, definitely head to Souls first

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2021, 08:23   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
I've ... spent the last few weekends trying the stuff with the plenum, fusebox, all the things in the boot and head unit but the problem still persists ...
Hi Richard,

Before you get your credit card out have you seen this useful post?

Simon
Old 18th January 2021, 12:31   #6
itcaptainslow
Avid contributor

200Vi & 214 SEi

I would definitely recommend Souls over B&G.
itcaptainslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 17:35   #7
Aldeburgh

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the useful replies. I'll see if I can locate that co289 connector to give it one more go and then head garagewards. The only downside to Olney is that it's about an hour away but it's encouraging to hear they could help.
Old 19th January 2021, 18:57   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Make sure you read Simons post number 5.-- Go now.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 18:04   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I had these exact fault symptoms on a local members car today.

T4 connected, and complained about the EWS, bypassed that screen and got into the main diagnostic tree.

Progressing through the check, the car would not talk to the LSM, so it was removed to check, and indeed replaced temporarily as an aide by elimination only, which made no difference.

T4 would talk to the EWS with the LSM disconnected, and vice versa but not with both together.

While I was reassembling the car, and I have to say it was absolutely tipping down, I happened to glance into the rear footwell, which was full of water

Now the car itself was a very strange spec indeed, Classic fitted with manual double piped leather seats, so I took a look at the rear footwell, and covered over with a carrier bag was the wiring plug for electric seats, denoting this car has the highline loom fitted from factory sitting in a puddle under the seat, it's contacts all green and corroded !!!

After a quick clean of the plug with Isopropanol and a toothbrush while the owner made a cuppa, and normal service was resumed

So in answer to the question posed by the OP, yes T4 would help diagnose this type of problem, and yes it helps to know what might also cause this type of problem in the first instance

I've had these symptoms before on a Contemporary SE fitted with memory sports leather, where the K-Bus wiring to the memory seat module was damaged, so why not take a torch and have a look see?

Many moons back, but take a look HERE

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kbus fault.jpg (136.3 KB, 132 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2021, 14:21   #10
Aldeburgh

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks, Brian - somewhere else to look. I'm certainly finding my way around the car now!