Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th May 2021, 11:13   #1
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Default Tourer rear tailgate window remote opening switch.

Whilst playing about with Toaf on the 2005 cdti tourer I was given and am working on, I found that the tailgate window can be opened remotely.

Does anyone know if there was a switch fitted and where, on any of the variants.

This one doesn't have the tailgate release switch either ( below the bonnet release ) but the old series 1 I'm cannibalising has one so a transplant is imminent.

The free gift is about ready for an MOT in a few days, when it passes I'll start a thread on its resurrection, trials, tribulations, horror stories and surprises.

To be honest it is in good shape, no body rot, a few very small dents and scratches from bags and shopping trolleys ? no welding needed other than the captive nuts inside the rear subframe, clean inside and out, main work was on suspension and brakes and re-undersealing it.

Watch this space.

Last edited by Ducati750cc; 15th May 2021 at 11:15..
Ducati750cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2021, 12:00   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
Whilst playing about with Toaf on the 2005 cdti tourer I was given and am working on, I found that the tailgate window can be opened remotely.

Does anyone know if there was a switch fitted and where, on any of the variants.

This one doesn't have the tailgate release switch either ( below the bonnet release ) but the old series 1 I'm cannibalising has one so a transplant is imminent.

The free gift is about ready for an MOT in a few days, when it passes I'll start a thread on its resurrection, trials, tribulations, horror stories and surprises.

To be honest it is in good shape, no body rot, a few very small dents and scratches from bags and shopping trolleys ? no welding needed other than the captive nuts inside the rear subframe, clean inside and out, main work was on suspension and brakes and re-undersealing it.

Watch this space.

The first time I used TOAF, I changed only the auto rear heated window option. I clicked around the modules only without changing anything else. When I disconnected it, my remote release via the key button would not operate.

I had to go in and look at all of the modules I looked at, and noticed that the boot release AND tailgate release were both ticked (I didnt do it!). Unticked the tailgate release (it is a saloon) and it resumed service. This makes me think that perhaps simply ticking the tailgate release will allow the remote release (at least via holding down the button on the key), perhaps it does this normally? lol (seems it is lol )

I am sure that I have read that early ones had the switch mounted as you say below the bonnet release and people have reinstated it - some reading for you HERE

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 15th May 2021 at 12:04..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2021, 12:46   #3
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Thanks for that CLF, everything operates as normal from the fob including opening the tailgate by holding the unlock button down for 1 second, fitting the tailgate opening switch from the old car will be no problem, the switch aperture is there behind a blanking plate and I will be able to see which wires to use off the old car.

It's the tailgate window opening switch location I'm looking for, I can't say I've ever noticed one on other 75's, but then have never looked for one, no other switch aperture blanking plates about either.

If I can find out where the switch was fitted I can look for the cables in that location.

This model has the Trafficmaster smart nav fitted with the switch between the heated seat switches so at a pinch I could use this switch aperture.

This system gave directions by voice, if I push the button it tries to, but can't connect to the mobile phone system obviously because there is no current subscription, one quite neat feature was that it could be used to track the car if it was stolen.
Old 15th May 2021, 12:54   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for that CLF, everything operates as normal from the fob including opening the tailgate by holding the unlock button down for 1 second, fitting the tailgate opening switch from the old car will be no problem, the switch aperture is there behind a blanking plate and I will be able to see which wires to use off the old car.

It's the tailgate window opening switch location I'm looking for, I can't say I've ever noticed one on other 75's, but then have never looked for one, no other switch aperture blanking plates about either.

If I can find out where the switch was fitted I can look for the cables in that location.

This model has the Trafficmaster smart nav fitted with the switch between the heated seat switches so at a pinch I could use this switch aperture.

This system gave directions by voice, if I push the button it tries to, but can't connect to the mobile phone system obviously because there is no current subscription, one quite neat feature was that it could be used to track the car if it was stolen.
The switch as I understood it was fitted below the bonnet release (as in the saloon) but fitted with a rectangular blanking plate. Some of those links in the search suggest looking for the wiring but I havent read into it further. If the wiring was actually present, I imagine it would be a simple question of fitting the switch and then activating it via T4 or TOAF.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2021, 17:23   #5
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:

Watch this space.
I was playing around with Toaf yesterday, putting back all the things that my T4 had robbed when it reset everything to standard. Things like digital speedo, rear defroster auto disabled. My electric blind has suddenly stopped operating and I thought it was because of the T4 reset but Russ & Trikey say no. Just about anything in the car can be activated with Toaf, eg fuel pump relay, rear windows
but not apparently the rear blind.

Isn't it the same with the rear window switch, Toaf can activate the switch remotely, just like the windows, VIS motors etc but that doesn't necessarily mean there was ever a physical switch. Or check if any BMWs had a remote switch.

Good luck
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2021, 18:45   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I do not understand this thread.
Can the glass window be unlocked and opened while the metal frame of the tailgate remains locked?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2021, 19:43   #7
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Yes, the glass window can be opened independently, the actual tailgate can stay closed. Handy if you just want to drop a bag of shopping into the back.

Regard
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2021, 19:51   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Yes, the glass window can be opened independently, the actual tailgate can stay closed. Handy if you just want to drop a bag of shopping into the back.

Regard
Not just closed but locked?
Just been out to my Tourer which has single point entry activated. 1 click unlocks drivers door. 2 clicks unlocks all doors, glass and metal frame.

Re reading the original post I now understand what is being asked.

macafee2
Old 15th May 2021, 20:33   #9
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

[QUOTE=macafee2;2881408]Not just closed but locked?
Just been out to my Tourer which has single point entry activated. 1 click unlocks drivers door. 2 clicks unlocks all doors, glass and metal frame.

macafee2[/QUOTE

Next time you unlock the drivers door, instead of just giving the unlock button a quick press, hold it down for approx. 1 second or so and it should unlock and open the tailgate.
Old 15th May 2021, 21:01   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

[QUOTE=Ducati750cc;2881414]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Not just closed but locked?

macafee2[/QUOTE

Next time you unlock the drivers door, instead of just giving the unlock button a quick press, hold it down for approx. 1 second or so and it should unlock and open the tailgate.
That will unlock the driver door too I think, pretty sure I have used that method in the past but thank you

macafee2