Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st May 2021, 19:34   #1
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Default front backplate bolts

does anyone know the size threads of the front disc backplate mounting bolts please. they are not listed/available from rimmers, thanks.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2021, 19:56   #2
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

I think they're M5, but I'm not 100% certain.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2021, 20:33   #3
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
does anyone know the size threads of the front disc backplate mounting bolts please. they are not listed/available from rimmers, thanks.

You must have a crystal ball, I have just fitted a pair of new plates about 20 mins ago.

They are M5 x 0.8 with a thread length of 10mm.

If you can, get stainless with a flanged head, but mild steel will be OK with a bit of locktite and paint to protect them from rusting in the future.

Due to the rusted heads, as round as a wedding ring, I could only get one of the six out by knocking a torx socket on to the head, I cut the heads off the others ( too small and rusty to weld a nut on and got 4 out quite easily, the last one was a muck or nettles job to drill without damaging the threads in the hub and picking the thread out, luckily there is space to go up to M6 and open up the holes in the plates if needed.
Old 21st May 2021, 21:50   #4
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Default s/st bolts

thankyou kind sir !! just ordered from kays fasteners on the bay. exact sizes. just keep my fingers crossed the old ones dont snap off when come to remove. not an easy place or sensible to start spraying plusgas whilst still on the car in use. still i have small self tapping bolts st/st to quickly put a hole in the hub and mount them if needed. thankyou for your info .. much appreciated.... .... xsport.
Old 21st May 2021, 23:07   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
You must have a crystal ball, I have just fitted a pair of new plates about 20 mins ago.

They are M5 x 0.8 with a thread length of 10mm.

If you can, get stainless with a flanged head, but mild steel will be OK with a bit of locktite and paint to protect them from rusting in the future.

Quote:
Due to the rusted heads, as round as a wedding ring, I could only get one of the six out by knocking a torx socket on to the head,
I cut the heads off the others ( too small and rusty to weld a nut on and got 4 out quite easily, the last one was a muck or nettles job to drill without damaging the threads in the hub and picking the thread out, luckily there is space to go up to M6 and open up the holes in the plates if needed.
Hi Bill
These below would of been your very best friend in the situation with the rounded off back plate bolts.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124654484...IAAOSwdJRgXjkb

They never fail to remove any rounded of bolt or nut, well have yet to see it.

I have several different sets from differing makers.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2021, 08:16   #6
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
thankyou kind sir !! just ordered from kays fasteners on the bay. exact sizes. just keep my fingers crossed the old ones dont snap off when come to remove. not an easy place or sensible to start spraying plusgas whilst still on the car in use. still i have small self tapping bolts st/st to quickly put a hole in the hub and mount them if needed. thankyou for your info .. much appreciated.... .... xsport.

No problem, if the car is not in use a drop of Plusgas every day will help and yes doing the deed whilst still on the car is doable but if drilling is needed with great care and you will have realised the wheel hub has to be off the drive shaft to get at them, I had the advantage of having them on the bench.

For applying Plusgas in small quantities right to the spot, especially difficult to get to places I have an old eye dropper for easy ones and a syringe with various lengths of small bore silicone tubing and a length of brazing rod with a loop bent at 90deg that just grips the end of the tube so I can direct it to the exact spot wherever it is needed
Old 22nd May 2021, 08:32   #7
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Bill
These below would of been your very best friend in the situation with the rounded off back plate bolts.

Hi and thanks Arctic, yes I have a similar selection in my lifesaver extractor, nut splitter, puller, joint splitter, torque multiplier cabinet, along with some ground down torx and spline sockets.

However, after a quick rub with a wire brush, I realised tin worm had turned them into nice domed 6.5mm rivets, Brunel would have been proud of .

So the start with a 2mm drill bit and crossed had to be done.

But like yourself, I don't understand the meaning of the word defeat
Old 22nd May 2021, 22:23   #8
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
No problem, if the car is not in use a drop of Plusgas every day will help and yes doing the deed whilst still on the car is doable but if drilling is needed with great care and you will have realised the wheel hub has to be off the drive shaft to get at them, I had the advantage of having them on the bench.

For applying Plusgas in small quantities right to the spot, especially difficult to get to places I have an old eye dropper for easy ones and a syringe with various lengths of small bore silicone tubing and a length of brazing rod with a loop bent at 90deg that just grips the end of the tube so I can direct it to the exact spot wherever it is needed
fortunately the hubs will be off the car for new bearings anyway. just trying to prepare as much as poss. thanks for reply.
Old 23rd May 2021, 06:22   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Bill

my advice, stay away from Silverline products. I have a couple and they are rubbish quality.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2021, 08:33   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
my advice, stay away from Silverline products. I have a couple and they are rubbish quality.

macafee2
Yes bought those back in 2015 used them a few times and they have worked well, these are the shallow type so good for tight spaces, but agree not best make out there, and are only the silverline tools i have, hopefully they will keep on doing me good service when i need to use them.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote