Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th May 2021, 08:16   #1
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Default Airbag module removal

I’m stripping the interior because of water ingress but want to do engine work while everything is drying out. If I remove the electronic unit in front of the handbrake which I understand is the airbag module will the engine still run once the battery is refitted? Any other tips would be welcome.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2021, 08:32   #2
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

It should do, the airbag system has nothing to do with the engine and vice versa.

I had one fail so removed it and drove to a local scrap yard without it plugged in, got one from a scrapper, plugged it in and went home with the light now off.

Don't forget that before disconnecting the module, remove the battery neg for five or ten mins to allow the capacitors to discharge and be aware that airbag and seat restraint wiring is in a yellow sheath, don't be tempted to probe them, even though the module is unplugged, any of the airbags or seatbelt restraint fittings can be discharged with an electrical charge.
Old 30th May 2021, 11:16   #3
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
It should do, the airbag system has nothing to do with the engine and vice versa.

I had one fail so removed it and drove to a local scrap yard without it plugged in, got one from a scrapper, plugged it in and went home with the light now off.

Don't forget that before disconnecting the module, remove the battery neg for five or ten mins to allow the capacitors to discharge and be aware that airbag and seat restraint wiring is in a yellow sheath, don't be tempted to probe them, even though the module is unplugged, any of the airbags or seatbelt restraint fittings can be discharged with an electrical charge.
Thanks for this info. I’ll either remove it or bolt it back into place before refitting the battery and firing up the engine. Not planning to probe wiring but that advice is appreciated.

Love the common sense quote!
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote