Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th August 2021, 20:33   #21
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Norman all I can say is you have done your best shame nobody has saved this car
dave lincs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2021, 09:40   #22
Norman2CV
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon. Pre Production.

I think i have realized why the interest from scrapyards and breakers, I am told the catalytic converters on the V6 has a high scrap value ! Maybe more than the car is worth ! I am still hoping a club member saves it .
Norman2CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2021, 12:12   #23
Annfield-East
Loves to post

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman2CV View Post
I think i have realized why the interest from scrapyards and breakers, I am told the catalytic converters on the V6 has a high scrap value ! Maybe more than the car is worth ! I am still hoping a club member saves it .
There are plenty of club members who think it should be saved, but by someone else.

When I first saw advertised the one that I saved, I though the same. Then, a couple of days later I thought, why someone else? So I set about saving it. A few hours later it was mine, and now, after a hell of a lot of work and $$$$'s, it wants for nothing.

This time last year I didn't even have a car. never mind a 75. I now have two, and just love them to bits, even though I only have on street parking, but hope that will change in the near future.

Anyway, I've had enough of the leave it to someone else brigade of this club. I accept that some members have done their bit. But to think that this beautiful car may end up being stripped for spares or banger raced is heartbreaking.

A week ago, on another thread, I said that I would wave bye bye to this club if Grahams car remained unsold a week later. That time has now passed and, as well as this being my last post, I no longer regard myself as a member of this club.

Goodbye.
Annfield-East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2021, 12:35   #24
Norman2CV
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon. Pre Production.

Please dont leave the club, there are some really good people on here. It has been a very difficult time recently for many people and there are many who are in financial difficulties after the lockdown. I know several self employed people who through no fault of their own have been living off credit cards for over a year now, even paying their rent with one.
This car although drop dead gorgeous is going to cost a fair sum to put back on the road, and then nearly £300 road tax and a thirst for petrol it make it impossible for many to run. I too am self employed and I too cant afford to put it on the road at this time, but i will keep it here, do a few jobs to it, a bit of time money and love, and one way or another it will be saved.
Please dont leave the club, your enthusiasm for the 75 is needed as together we stand strong.
Norman2CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2021, 14:39   #25
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Totally agree and lovely car BUT will need serious dollar to get it upto what it deserves. Very few people these days have the money or the space to keep a project car and have bills to pay and many are unsure if they will have a job in a few months time.
Its not about nobody wanting the car its the harsh reality of running a thirsty 2.5 engined car that's 20 years old and going to need a lot of parts replacing simply due to it age. For many even if they had the money its an expensive ornament to tax and insure and maintain let alone work out what its worth after spending a fortune. If it cant be snapped up for £300 maybe its telling you its not as desirable as we think.
Maybe the owner could get someone to take photos of the pre production parts etc and have a sticky thread on here then at least this car has given an insight for other club members who have never seen one in the flesh?
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2021, 16:11   #26
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman2CV View Post
... nearly £300 road tax and a thirst for petrol it make it impossible for many to run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
... its the harsh reality of running a thirsty 2.5 engined car ...
The 2.5 V6 is at its best on long journeys at cruising speed when it will return 30 mpg or more. That is not thirsty!

The road tax is £280 p.a. which is significantly cheaper than the same car taxed under the CO2 emissions system. That is not expensive!

What does cost time and money is a restoration or recommissioning. I know because I've done it. That is the reason why no-one wants this car. It's got nothing to do with road tax or fuel consumption.

During the next 20 years few will want a petrol or diesel car anyway.

Simon
Old 12th August 2021, 16:24   #27
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default But.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annfield-East View Post
There are plenty of club members who think it should be saved, but by someone else.

When I first saw advertised the one that I saved, I though the same. Then, a couple of days later I thought, why someone else? So I set about saving it. A few hours later it was mine, and now, after a hell of a lot of work and $$$$'s, it wants for nothing.

This time last year I didn't even have a car. never mind a 75. I now have two, and just love them to bits, even though I only have on street parking, but hope that will change in the near future.

Anyway, I've had enough of the leave it to someone else brigade of this club. I accept that some members have done their bit. But to think that this beautiful car may end up being stripped for spares or banger raced is heartbreaking.

A week ago, on another thread, I said that I would wave bye bye to this club if Grahams car remained unsold a week later. That time has now passed and, as well as this being my last post, I no longer regard myself as a member of this club.

Goodbye.
The club is for people that support the cars and most likely already have at least one, it's not up to any members to save any car that needs saving as they are simply just members of a motor club. The club has a section for selling cars but not all get sold, it's a good place to place an offer of a car but it's not expected that it has to find a home with a member, it'll be far better to find a home with someone who admires the cars and fancies a bit of a project. The car is around 23 years old now and is a true classic and that will possibly bring a new owner/member to the club, that's what it's about in reality.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2021, 19:25   #28
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
The 2.5 V6 is at its best on long journeys at cruising speed when it will return 30 mpg or more. That is not thirsty!

The road tax is £280 p.a. which is significantly cheaper than the same car taxed under the CO2 emissions system. That is not expensive!

What does cost time and money is a restoration or recommissioning. I know because I've done it. That is the reason why no-one wants this car. It's got nothing to do with road tax or fuel consumption.

During the next 20 years few will want a petrol or diesel car anyway.

Simon
May I beg to differ at petrol being £1.34 per litre and about 20 mpg around the town it is an expensive ornament sitting taxed and insured for the “odd long run”.
Say £40 per month for a garage to rent to save it from the elements it’s not viable for 99% of enthusiasts on here me included.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2021, 21:39   #29
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I contacted the seller a couple of weeks ago.
Do I want the car. Yes.
Can I afford to recommission it. Yes.
Do I have the time for another project. No. I'm working all the hours I can to afford my current project.
Yes I have space.
I've been offered another project that I'm seriously considering.
It's never straightforward collecting cars, projects or not.
I'm so busy I've not used my MGTF yet this summer. What a waste.
Then I have a family to juggle too.
Life is full but life is good.
Yes I would like to see an original car saved.
Good luck.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 12th August 2021, 21:48   #30
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
I contacted the seller a couple of weeks ago.
Do I want the car. Yes.
Can I afford to recommission it. Yes.
Do I have the time for another project. No. I'm working all the hours I can to afford my current project.
Yes I have space.
I've been offered another project that I'm seriously considering.
It's never straightforward collecting cars, projects or not.
I'm so busy I've not used my MGTF yet this summer. What a waste.
Then I have a family to juggle too.
Life is full but life is good.
Yes I would like to see an original car saved.
Good luck.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Exactly that's the thing. Alot of us here have either got cars and no room for others or are doing different things. It doesnt make us less enthusiastic.
Like I said I tried to buy this when it originally came up for sale but was too slow.

Now I have no means to save it at this time but in the future would I save another 75- of course i would.

Life is never as simple as people make it out to be. If I had the money It would be on my drive now while my father and I do little bits on it here and there.
thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote