Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th August 2021, 15:09   #1
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts
Default Green card

I have just received the below from my insurance company some may find interesting

Great news for UK motorists planning a driving holiday abroad this summer. From 2nd August 2021, the European Commission has implemented a new change to motoring law, whereby drivers of UK-registered vehicles, including those from Northern Ireland will no longer need green card insurance when driving their car in EU countries.

What is a green card?
A green card is an internationally recognised document that proves a UK motorist has valid third party insurance cover for up to 90 days to drive abroad in the EU.
When the UK left the EU on the 31st January 2020, it became a legal requirement for UK motorists to carry a green card when driving to another EU country, including the Republic of Ireland.

Who will the change effect?
Before the pandemic, it was thought that UK motorists made about 12.6m visits to the continent via seaports and the Channel Tunnel.
When the new change comes into effect, this should help make things easier for British motorists, when planning future driving trips to the EU.
In the past, drivers who failed to produce evidence of a green card when driving in the EU could have been faced with heavy fines, legal prosecution for breaking driving laws, or have their car impounded.

What documents will I need when driving abroad?
Once the change has been implemented, after 2nd August, your certificate of insurance will be enough to cover you when driving abroad. In addition to your certificate, it would also be worthwhile to carry your driving licence and V5C logbook and display a GB sticker on your vehicle. In some cases, you may also need an International Driving Permit to drive in some EU/EEA countries2. For more information visit: Driving abroad - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
However, we recommend UK motorists planning a trip before 2nd September that you should still adhere to the current regulations until the new rules come into effect and travel with a green card to avoid any delays.
Motorists of other vehicles should also note some Green Card Free Circulation Area (GCFCA) countries may require a separate green card as proof of insurance for trailers or caravans1. If you are travelling with a trailer or caravan, you should contact your insurance company for advice to see whether you still need to issue a green card1.
Motorists based in GCFCA countries and travelling to the UK are not required to carry green cards, although drivers could be asked to provide proof of their current motor insurance policy.

Conclusion
Huw Evans, Director General at the Association of British Insurers welcomed the new change by saying: “This is excellent news. We have long campaigned for the UK to be part of the Green Card Free Circulation Zone so we warmly welcome the decision by the European Commission.
The Commission has taken a pragmatic approach on the matter. UK drivers will no longer need to apply for a Green Card through their insurer which will help reduce bureaucracy for drivers and road hauliers travelling between the UK and EU.”

Yours sincerely,
The Customer Services Team

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2021, 08:46   #2
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Hi, that’s good news. It talks about a gb sticker, thought it was changing to uk? I’ve bought some stick on uk stickers for my number plate.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2021, 20:42   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote; Rogue.

If you are travelling with a trailer or caravan, you should contact your insurance company for advice to see whether you still need to issue a green card1.

Could you PROOF read this please ?? It doesn't make sense.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2021, 21:00   #4
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Quote; Rogue.

If you are travelling with a trailer or caravan, you should contact your insurance company for advice to see whether you still need to issue a green card1.

Could you PROOF read this please ?? It doesn't make sense.--

I just copied and pasted from the email i was sent.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2021, 11:21   #5
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Just posted on another thread on here
"Had a quick look at the UKGov site. England, Scotland and Welsh oriented owners can pretty well put anything in terms of flag and national abbreviation and LH side stripe colour on the reg. plate but to be legal AND drive abroad (that for most of us means the wider Europe) we MUST display the old GB oval (think that should be black GB on white oval ground) separately. Northern Ireland however must still observe all the EU regulations on this subject!!
Interesting that the official website didn't make any mention of the newly introduced green LH stripe for (is it only) battery drive vehicles?"
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 17:48   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Just posted on another thread on here
"Had a quick look at the UKGov site. England, Scotland and Welsh oriented owners can pretty well put anything in terms of flag and national abbreviation and LH side stripe colour on the reg. plate but to be legal AND drive abroad (that for most of us means the wider Europe) we MUST display the old GB oval (think that should be black GB on white oval ground) separately. Northern Ireland however must still observe all the EU regulations on this subject!!
Interesting that the official website didn't make any mention of the newly introduced green LH stripe for (is it only) battery drive vehicles?"
Is the change now UK and not GB ??---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 18:43   #7
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Depends who you talk to and what day it is!
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote