Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd September 2021, 07:57   #21
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartIngram View Post
Where did I read the good news about E10? Was a thread on here, or an email (possibly from DMGS?).
It was in the last couple of weeks I'm sure. Basically someone knew the designer/team leader or whatever at Rover. Apparently Rover was ahead of the game and designed the 75 (and possibly other models) to run on E10, as it was a fuel available abroad at that time.
I'd like to take a copy of this comment to my local garage as they are interested in this, but I've searched and can't find it.

Stewart
I had an email from DMGRS with this information in and have kept it for my own information.

Here is the email copied and pasted in its entirety.

Quote:

We've all seen the uproar the move to E10 petrol seems to have caused - so we thought we'd clear things up a little.

It's worthy of note that while we've done a lot of research on the topic, the information below is put together purely as a 'helping hand' and your own judgment should be used.

It's no secret that MG Rover were a pioneering company and liked to 'push the envelope' when it came to technological advances - and the good news is that this approach was taken when it came to Ethanol-containing fuels too.
Europe moved to E10 petrol many years ago, and with their finger on the pulse as usual MG Rover (along with Land Rover) made sure that all vehicles from 1996 onwards were compatible with E10.
Land Rover have formally confirmed this on the Government website - however with MG Rover long gone there's no official way for the Government to confirm this and publish the information online.

The good news is that Land Rover used the K Series and KV6 engine from 1996 in the Freelander - along with a very similar fuel system and many shared components.
This, along with one of the ex-chief engineers for MG Rover confirming the compatibility of the new fuel when the UK launch was confirmed, means that any MG Rover from 1996 onwards will be absolutely fine to run on E10.

Any MG Rover made before 1996 is a trickier topic - while there weren't many changes made to the fuel system before and after this date, it's possible that the seals used aren't designed to be Ethanol-resistant.
We would recommend sticking with either E5 (Super unleaded will continue to be E5) or using a fuel-stabilising additive designed to help older cars run on E10 when filling.

Again, the information above is put together from the data available to us - but we are confident any MG Rover from 1996 onwards will be fine using E10.
Thank you to DMGRS for sending this out by the way.

Last edited by Gigagator; 2nd September 2021 at 09:43..
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2021, 08:08   #22
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Also, just another note on something that really peed me off last week.

Someone told my partner that her car (2003 Rover 25 1.4 K-series) isn't compatible with the new E10 fuel and asked her "What are you going to do?"

It transpires they had read some garbage article online by some would be journalist who fancies themselves to be the next Jeremy Clarkson.

Basically, they had clearly looked on the gov.uk compatibility list and seen that the information for Rover is to not use it - which is just the government covering their a**e.

That really annoyed me, because people less knowledgeable will read that and panic, thinking their perfectly serviceable Rover is completely incompatible with the new fuels at the pump.

I reckon careless, appallingly researched 'journalism' like that could bring a lot of MG Rover branded vehicles into the scrapyard despite being perfectly serviceable and running fine on E10.

I would also like to thank Dorchester2 for his account of his experience running these cars on higher ethanol blend fuels over the years.
It's your posts on the topic here and on another MG Rover related forum that put my mind at ease on this topic.

The fact you have run your K-series engines on E85 fuel for years with no negative side effects just reinforces the fact that nobody has anything to worry about.

Last edited by Gigagator; 2nd September 2021 at 08:12..
Old 2nd September 2021, 08:53   #23
donc
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default New fuel

So is it OK to use the new petrol in a 1.8t? I thought it would have detrimental effects???
donc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2021, 09:33   #24
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post

I would also like to thank Dorchester2 for his account of his experience running these cars on higher ethanol blend fuels over the years.
It's your posts on the topic here and on another MG Rover related forum that put my mind at ease on this topic.

The fact you have run your K-series engines on E85 fuel for years with no negative side effects just reinforces the fact that nobody has anything to worry about.

More than that.
As I'm not myself a petrolhead and might be seen as a non reliable authority despite my experience, I can tell you that I've just done last July a remap. Don't laugh! The aim was just to get a better torque in the low revs and uprate a little the bhp eventually.

Then I went to a very reliable garage I had been pointed to by my local vintage car club president & secretary: "LR Performance" which is the only local technical team allowed to intervene on the Albi race circuit (together with the racing teams of course). BTW they are specialized as well to help any compliant engine to be fuelled with E85.

When I told them my KV6 was already E85 compliant and that I'd already done the job myself (by a different way than theirs indeed!), I saw that the technician wasn't very keen. Then he told me they had to comprehensively verify my engine and my car before anything else, which they did. In the end he came back to tell me that my car was in very good nick for its age (1999) & mileage (191k km / 120k mls), and that they accepted to do the remap I'd asked for. Only then! You know they don't want to be involved in a damaging or destroying process... With a very good result: 80% of the max torque since 2k revs and +7 bhp: blissful!

Hence I think it's a good evidence made by a well known French professional garage in its area that a KV6 Rover / MG can even be higher ethanol blend fuels compliant without any damage.
I hope all that may definitely help lots of mates in Britain to feel safer & relaxed about E10 in the future for their pride & joy.
The rest is only gossips & scaremongery IMHO...
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s

Last edited by Dorchester2; 2nd September 2021 at 20:42..
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2021, 09:44   #25
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by donc View Post
So is it OK to use the new petrol in a 1.8t? I thought it would have detrimental effects???
All of the information suggests that yes, it is safe and will cause you no issues.
Old 2nd September 2021, 16:16   #26
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Arnuad. I am sure you have put everyone in a good place with your experience of E10 petrol. I must admit that I was a little thoughtful about the use of this new way of making money for already rich multi national companies. We are at the end of the line so have to suck it up. Thank you.
Old 2nd September 2021, 19:34   #27
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons View Post
One thing they have not told the public the whole truth over is that E10 doesnt give as good mpg, so you will use more of it to get less mileage, basically putting the price up without putting the price up.
Plus engines run a little hotter,

Does anyone use a stabiliser?

Is anyone able to give a recommendation and does anyone know what the stabilising chemical is?

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2021, 19:43   #28
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Plus engines run a little hotter,

Does anyone use a stabiliser?

Is anyone able to give a recommendation and does anyone know what the stabilising chemical is?

Kev
Read Arnuad’s post 19. It runs cooler not hotter.
Old 3rd September 2021, 12:18   #29
Gigagator
Avid contributor

I also understand that a higher ethanol content has a cleaning effect on the internals of the engine. Can anyone confirm?

Though I doubt an extra 5 percent will make much of a difference, that placebo effect makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when I fire a car up with a tank full of juicy E10 fuel.
Old 3rd September 2021, 13:52   #30
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Read Arnuad’s post 19. It runs cooler not hotter.
On that particular engine it might be but the consensus of opinion is they run a little hotter - mine certainly does.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote