Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th September 2021, 15:19   #1
hog-man80
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Rear spring isolators.

I have to change the rear springs, on my diesel tourer. And have been advised to replace the spring isolators. I can't see them on Rimmers site, so are they still available?
Paul.
hog-man80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2021, 15:51   #2
grs6680
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190

Not available anymore

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
grs6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2021, 19:44   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Rear spring changed on mine, and the isolator was ok to use again.
Old 5th September 2021, 21:04   #4
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

As BL52 says, in most instances they will be OK as long as they have been correctly re-fitted during past spring changes and not distorted, though not available new, scrap yards and the tinternet will come up with decent replacements if needed.

A couple or three hints when you do the job to save grief and money in the future.

First is make sure you fit the top one to the top and the bottom one to the bottom, obvious as they are different, but in a moment of inattention they can be fitted A about face

Second is to make sure that the bottom one goes into the ' bayonet fitting ' , for want of a better word, and then is turned 90 deg. to lock it in place, washing up liquid or silicone grease helps, then most important, ensure that one of the slots in the isolator, there are four, lines up with the drain slot in the lower arm.

The results of the first scenario which blocks a drain hole, and the second, where the slot is not lined up with drain hole, ends up over time with a bottom arm prematurely taking on the appearance of a lace curtain at the spring seat.

I had a nice tourer given to me free as an MOT failure for various reasons, none at first glance or noted as being serious, mainly excess surface rust on suspension components, a broken rear spring, but no holes noted, however on cleaning off the rear lower arms a frightening apparition of areas that appeared OK turned up when simple thumb pressure could produce thumb sized holes.....scary, both sides, due to the first scenario.

Third hint, if the arms and seats are OK but just rusty, remove the loose rust, treat with the rust treatment of your choice, prime and paint the treated rust, rattle cans will do, a coat of underseal will also help, after a blast of waxoil on top and inside the arm cavities will aso help.

I've got photo's knocking about of the work I did to give the car many more years of life.................when I get chance I'll write it up, with photo's and post it.