Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th September 2021, 11:15   #41
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...52&postcount=3

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2021, 12:06   #42
havvacuppa

Rover 75

Thanks mate, ignore my previous post I was too stupid to scroll down and see the MKII version!

OK...but, I've done that bit already. My problem is, I've got that assembly out, but I can't for the life of me remove the faulty bulb!

Last edited by havvacuppa; 10th September 2021 at 12:50..
havvacuppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2021, 15:30   #43
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by havvacuppa View Post
Sorry to resurrect this, got an 04 75, I've followed everything on this thread and reached the point where I've got the bulb literally in my hand, but I can't disconnect it. There's no spring clip btw, I guess the MK2 has a different design...but still a really bad one! Any ideas please?
Hello Paul, welcome to the confused club! The Mk2s have a bayonet/turn bulb fitting, which has its own issues for many people. The main and dipped lamp bulbs have a slightly different arrangement. So, dipped (outer) lamps first:

The bulb fitment uses a bayonet/one-eighth turn clip, so grasp the bulb/wiring connector and turn anticlockwise until it releases. It may be very tight, so just getting the bulb/bulbholder out of the mounting needs strong fingers. The second issue is detaching the wiring connector from the bulb. This is a 'simple' pull-straight-off fitment, but may need a lot of pull. The bayonet clip itself is a separate part and fits onto the wiring connector body.
The next image shows this outer dipped (non-HID) bulb (H7 55w).

The metal flange seen here is a simple positioning plate to ensure the bulb is orientated correctly in the reflector hole. The Mk1 models use this same bulb, but have the wire clip system shown earlier.

The inner lamps (main beam) bulb (H9 65w) fitting has a similar bayonet arrangement but the bulb body has a right-angled bend. The bayonet fastening is built into the bulb and the wiring connector has two flip open clips to allow it to pull off. Below shows an H9 bulb.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2021, 18:57   #44
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon View Post
I spent 25 minutes yesterday effing and blinding doing the drivers side, i had it jacked up and was going to take the wheel off. Just went around to Scouseerics to do the difficult side and he done it in less than 5 minutes
On my recently acquired 75 the O/S bulb went within a week. The spring clip was so tight I couldn't release it, so I just took the bolts off the front and wheel arch and removed the front, followed by whipping the light out. Even then releasing the spring clip necessitated pliers, the 1st time I've had that bother.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2021, 19:48   #45
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
On my recently acquired 75 the O/S bulb went within a week. The spring clip was so tight I couldn't release it, so I just took the bolts off the front and wheel arch and removed the front, followed by whipping the light out. Even then releasing the spring clip necessitated pliers, the 1st time I've had that bother.
That clip must have been wrong or a non standard part because those clips are very easy to release.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2021, 20:32   #46
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
That clip must have been wrong or a non standard part because those clips are very easy to release.
I agree. When these wire clips get lost, as they often do, the obvious answer is to buy another. There are hundreds of look-alikes on eBay.
For example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264039041...IAAOSwukZb68Sy
But the chances one will fit properly are slim. They have to be forced on. So, they have to be forced off. Best replaced from a 75/ZT breaker.

TC
Old 13th September 2021, 07:20   #47
havvacuppa

Rover 75

Thank you, it's the main beam bulb I'm having problems with, followed your instructions along with a lot of effing and jeffing under my breath (don't want to upset the neighbours!), but it won't budge. My wife reminded me that I did the other side in a matter of minutes a couple of years ago, so I've no idea what's going on with this one. Guess I'll have to take it to a mechanic

(BTW, I just noticed this "Thank" function, how does one send a Thank You?)
havvacuppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2021, 11:38   #48
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Your very own Thanks button appears after you've made ten posts to the forum. Just click the button in the posts you like.

TC
Old 15th September 2021, 07:55   #49
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Hello Paul, welcome to the confused club! The Mk2s have a bayonet/turn bulb fitting, which has its own issues for many people. The main and dipped lamp bulbs have a slightly different arrangement. So, dipped (outer) lamps first:

TC
I have recently acquired another facelift 75 and was surprised to find the dipped beam bulb held in by a very tight spring clip, so tight that I had to remove the light unit to release the clip.
Old 15th September 2021, 08:02   #50
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by havvacuppa View Post
Thank you, it's the main beam bulb I'm having problems with, followed your instructions along with a lot of effing and jeffing under my breath (don't want to upset the neighbours!), but it won't budge. My wife reminded me that I did the other side in a matter of minutes a couple of years ago, so I've no idea what's going on with this one. Guess I'll have to take it to a mechanic

(BTW, I just noticed this "Thank" function, how does one send a Thank You?)
If really stuck, just remove the bumper, I think about 8 bolts along the top and one in each wheel arch. place a cloth on the ground along the length of the bonnet and then just pull the sides of the bumper free from the wings and tilt the bumper onto the cloth. As I struggle to crawl under the car now, I don't release the bumper from the undertray, I find there is sufficient flexibility to just swing down. The headlight is then released by undoing 3 bolts making it easy to get at the bulbs. It only takes me about 20mins to remove and replace the bumper.