Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th September 2021, 16:33   #11
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
I'm very surprised by your results. Although according to statute buses have a 70mph speed limit, they actually MUST have a speed limiter set at a maximum of 62 mph.

HGV's have a legal maximum speed of 60mph, but the limiter MUST be set at a maximum of 56mph.

I agree they are meant to be speed limited but they also require torque to allow them to climb inclines when fully loaded. Pop any bus or artics that use our motorways tachograph, I guarantee you it will have recorded speeds that are in excess of 62 and 56 MPH.
Depending on vehicle. Drive at 72 in the left lane of the M6 you will be passed by busses and artics. The best example I see every summer is the A77 where the busses are clocked well over 70 on a daily basis the artics running up from The ferry and down to the ferry are clocked at the same insane speeds. Two of my Nieces are married to police Scotland officers both of which have parts of the A77 Race track John stopped an Irish Artic about three months ago for doing 81 MPH on a single carriageway part of the road the average speed cameras on the road had recorded the artic in question averaging 72MPH very impressive and yet it should be impossible.
One thing I have learned in my 74 years is that nothing is impossible.
The Fastest estate car in the world is an MGZT V8 in 2002 set the world speed record at 216mph.
Still a record today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 21:41   #12
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

[QUOTE=alanaslan;2901659]I agree they are meant to be speed limited but they also require torque to allow them to climb inclines when fully loaded. Pop any bus or artics that use our motorways tachograph, I guarantee you it will have recorded speeds that are in excess of 62 and 56 MPH.
Depending on vehicle. Drive at 72 in the left lane of the M6 you will be passed by busses and artics. The best example I see every summer is the A77 where the busses are clocked well over 70 on a daily basis the artics running up from The ferry and down to the ferry are clocked at the same insane speeds. Two of my Nieces are married to police Scotland officers both of which have parts of the A77 Race track John stopped an Irish Artic about three months ago for doing 81 MPH on a single carriageway part of the road the average speed cameras on the road had recorded the artic in question averaging 72MPH very impressive and yet it should be impossible.

It is the top speed which is limited and they have no reduction in torque up to the limit. Should any vehicles have the limiter disabled either by a maintenance issue or deliberately, enforcement officers from the police and DVSA have all the powers needed to prosecute. I would have no hesitation reporting such offences to the authorities and in fact, when I became aware of a bus company in the Gatwick area using untaxed buses and red diesel, I reported them and within 30 minutes the reported vehicle was stopped, subsequently seized and the company fined for several related offences. We all need to step forward to halt such blatant offences.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2021, 08:29   #13
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
As many of you know they put a speed camera up half a mile before the road up to my house which backs on to a High school, the camera is across from a primary school.
I took my pit lane speed gun out and sat in a chair in my high viz vest before the camera went up. The road is a 30 limit with a 20 when schools are out and about.
The average before was 43 and 41 ( the camera is set at 40) the fastest was a bus doing 67

After the camera which most brake hard for then floor it the average is 46 and 39 fastest was an 18 ton waggon doing 73
The world has gone mad.

Three average speed cameras on the 2 mile stretch is the only way to get them to slow down.

This is why those deciding camera placement policy need people like myself working for them. The strategy should be to place a hidden camera some distance ahead of the dummy, highly visible one, and another a few miles after.

This is the way to achieve compliance and wipe the smiles off the faces of all those who think laws/regulations do not apply to them.

We are just too willing to accept law breaking by the masses.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2021, 09:57   #14
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Are the cameras sophisticated enough to tell whether the vehicle is subject to a different (lower) limit? Or are they just set at a given speed?

I guess they're not that clever but am happy to be informed otherwise.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 30th September 2021 at 10:02..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2021, 11:08   #15
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Are the cameras sophisticated enough to tell whether the vehicle is subject to a different (lower) limit? Or are they just set at a given speed?

I guess they're not that clever but am happy to be informed otherwise.
I think they could be (height detectors) but very rarely/just about never are.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2021, 18:26   #16
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

The newer cameras ( high range ) have built in ANPR, so as long as the vehicle is in the DVLA database the speed for that vehicle is known and the camera can adapt the recorded speed against vehicle type. Others have shape recognition and can recognise vehicles over 7.5 tonnes and adjust their upper limit.

alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2021, 19:34   #17
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
You wont get done by the old ladies as they are not police/official but what speeders may get is a warning letter, nothing more.

macafee2
But a second or third offence will most likely get you a fine.
Old 9th October 2021, 19:47   #18
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
The newer cameras ( high range ) have built in ANPR, so as long as the vehicle is in the DVLA database the speed for that vehicle is known and the camera can adapt the recorded speed against vehicle type. Others have shape recognition and can recognise vehicles over 7.5 tonnes and adjust their upper limit.

does that apply to a car towing a trailer?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2021, 11:03   #19
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

speeding is not the ISSUE its the police putting on their BLUE lights because they don't to sit in the que and /or get a McDonalds for lunch!!

as for villagers using local speed guns, should never police the citizens for the police.... ruddy foolish and cheap for the authorities. but charge us for more police costs. ( PRISONS WITHOUT BAR WINDOWS)

Since this CV19 thing i have lost all respect for the police beating the public up and arresting them so they can have freedoms just like us. there are no police anymore just Stazi guards for the Davos governments. WORLD WIDE!
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote