Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th October 2021, 12:36   #11
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I phoned the local tyre & battery company to order a battery, they had the one I wanted. So I drove up in Strawberry. Oh! My! How they laughed.

Fitted the battery to Banana, put the key in and everything lit up. She started and ticked over. Left her running for about 20 minutes. turned her off and tried again, started and run ok. Noticed a loud ticking sound, think it's always been there but for some reason today it seemed louder.
I am very pleased for you, well done.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 17:40   #12
cengar
Loves to post

rover 75 saloon cdti

You were close to me could have put you in the caravan
cengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 18:17   #13
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

If they had sent a patrol rather than a garage agent , he would have tested your battery as part of his basic checks , and if it had showed as unserviceable , offered you a replacement 096 saving a lot of stress . Not sure why a garage can't do this unless they can make more by charging for recovery ?

Pleased all is well again with banana and she won't end up on the naughty step
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 20:23   #14
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
Not sure why a garage can't do this unless they can make more by charging for recovery ?
I think you've answered your own question there, it earns them more money.

Years ago when I hadn't had the ZT long, the clutch went on the way back from Cornwall, leaving stuck at the side of the A30. The RAC sent out one of their own transit type vans to tow us to somewhere safe, and parked us up at some services. A couple of hours later we were recovered by a local firm to their depot. The boss there wanted to give me a battered old Citroen Picasso hire car and recover my car to me sometime the following week. I said I wanted the car to go with me as I'd already booked it in for repair, (admittedly I hadn't, I just didn't want the hire car and I wanted my car with me), and he got very stroppy, telling me my car was worth nothing anyway etc etc. I ended up phoning the RAC in front of him and they agreed straight away to recovering my car to my address, as per my level of cover, much to his annoyance.

So he ended up keeping us waiting for a few hours, and then gave the driver the oldest most beaten up recovery truck in the yard, and recovered us as far as Bristol, and then we were transferred to another company who brought us the rest of the way home.

Anyway, the main point of this being, the driver of the 1st firm that recovered us to Bristol, got chatting and he admitted that the owner preferred to give hire cars rather than recover. That way he charges the RAC/AA or whoever, for initial recovery, then charges for a hire car for X number of days, plus storage fees of the broken down vehicle for X days, and then charges for the recovery of the vehicle all the way home, rather than just part way.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2021, 14:15   #15
Kevin Williams
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Tourer [116 bhp] in Wedgwood Blue / MG ZT CDTi [131bhp] in Anthracite

Hello Bob,

A sorry saga indeed, but hope you're now OK? Deeply worrying if the supposed "expert" didn't quickly conclude that the battery might be a suspect for the problems. How old was the old battery, as I know you use Banana a lot?

Perhaps Banana was having a sulk with it's new Strawberry competition!

Kevin
Kevin Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2021, 16:59   #16
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Perhaps feeling a little jaundiced?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2021, 20:05   #17
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Williams View Post
Hello Bob,

A sorry saga indeed, but hope you're now OK? Deeply worrying if the supposed "expert" didn't quickly conclude that the battery might be a suspect for the problems. How old was the old battery, as I know you use Banana a lot?

Perhaps Banana was having a sulk with it's new Strawberry competition!

Kevin
Last battery was fitted in 2014.

Hope you are keeping well.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2021, 16:22   #18
Kevin Williams
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Tourer [116 bhp] in Wedgwood Blue / MG ZT CDTi [131bhp] in Anthracite

Thanks Bob,

All fine here. Seems ages since we met at Longbridge, and you kindly gave me those parts from Ian in Weymouth via pony express!

My ZT eventually passed it's MOT recently. A new rear offside sill was expected [picked up a new one from Tom Hobbs, and my pal has done some magic "invisible" welding and spraying! However, the sight of most of the osf spring sitting on top of the tyre as the car went through it's underside inspection wasn't! Very lucky no further damage, but the spring had been unknowingly broken near it's end as the break was rusty, it must have come out when the car drove off the brake rollers. Had to get some heat to bend the spring out of the way to enable the car to move and sort replacement.....

While sorting this, my t[r]usty old Citroen C15 van failed it's MOT spectacularly due to inner wing and bulkhead rust, but it will live on with a new owner who likes welding projects [and 75/ZTs!]. Couldn't find a decent ageing small van as a replacement quickly, but for now, I've dropped onto a well looked after Ford C Max diesel, but think it will be too wide to go down some of the places the C15 got to! You'll also be disappointed to learn it's not yellow or pink, just regular silver....!

Take care of yourself, and don't get stressed with car issues

Kevin
Kevin Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2021, 17:51   #19
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

In the previous two breakdowns with Banana I received two email reports within 48 hours on the work carried out to get me going again. However the last weeks drama, I have yet to receive the report. I’ll give it a couple more days before asking for the report.

Also on the two previous reports it clearly states that on both occasions the water and oil levels were checked. Neither of these two checks were made on Banana. I intend to take this issue up with the AA.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 18th October 2021 at 17:53.. Reason: Spellin’
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2021, 08:28   #20
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Many years ago we had an Astra, loved the car.
One Christmas we had been away for a few days and came back to visit my wife's sister. As we got back into Norwich wife asked to pass by the house as she wanted to check the house.
Pulled up at the house & left her inside the car with the engine running while I checked the house. While inside wife comes in, I commented & she said it was ok as she had locked the car (pushed the button down on the door and shut the door).
Finished the in the house and went to the car, still running, and asked the wife for her key.It's in my handbag, where is that? On the back seat (in the locked car!!!)

Phoned the AA, nice helpful chap said he was sorry but we did not have homestart so the could not help, but if I was able to DRIVE the car 1/4 mile from my home they would come out!!!
I replied.......
His final comment was that he did not appreciate my tone!!
My final comment was '-off'
I cancelled my membership new years day and have not been with a recovery since.
SteveN
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote