Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th September 2016, 06:10   #1
AndyJacobs
Regular poster

MG ZT 190

Default Loud 'clunk' when pulling away

This is something that's been happening pretty much since I got my ZT.

When I pull away, unless I let the clutch out REALLY slowly and pull away like a pensioner in an Allegro, I get a loud clunk from the engine bay and you feel it too. It also happens if I change into 2nd and let the clutch out quickly.

What it reminds me of is when I had a mini and the engine mount rubbers were gone. The engine would rock back and hit the bulkhead.

It feels like there's a belt or pulley or something that's slack and then the slack gets taken up. It's not the clutch, I'm pretty sure of that as it doesn't seem to affect the actual performance, it's just annoying. It's done it for getting on for 40k miles so I'm guessing it's nothing too serious.

I don't know if it's connected but if I get a bit over-zealous and the traction control kicks in to stop wheel spin, it does it repeatedly and the car feels like it's going to shake apart.
Old 30th September 2016, 06:39   #2
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Sounds like your lower engine mount "dog bone" mount on the bottom of the engine.
Cheap enough and DMGRS stock them.
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...g-zt-kkh101383
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 06:54   #3
AndyJacobs
Regular poster

MG ZT 190

Yes, I did a bit more searching and found that as well. Funny, I looked into this about a year ago and couldn't find anything.

So, possible wheel bearing, engine mount and MUST get the cam belts done. I've been quoted £600 for the cam belts by a local garage, including the water pump.

Keeping everything crossed for a new job after being made redundant a couple of weeks ago. If I can get a job quickly then I'll have a bit of cash spare to get all this stuff done.
Old 30th September 2016, 10:17   #4
bluemalbert
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJacobs View Post
Yes, I did a bit more searching and found that as well. Funny, I looked into this about a year ago and couldn't find anything.

So, possible wheel bearing, engine mount and MUST get the cam belts done. I've been quoted £600 for the cam belts by a local garage, including the water pump.

Keeping everything crossed for a new job after being made redundant a couple of weeks ago. If I can get a job quickly then I'll have a bit of cash spare to get all this stuff done.

Hi there, I have the same problem but possibly worse than your description. I can force the clunk at any gearchange, and now there is a clutch judder in 1st which is accentuated when pulling off with the wheels on the turn left or right! Andi willi did my clutch 5k ago and when he was working, he said the lower engine mount had been done. I guess if it was a poor one it could be that?? MGZT 190 2004, any ideas??
Unrelated - apply the brakes when rolling back - big clunk! Jacked up it seems that with the brake locked I can turn the road wheel 5mm and hear and see the clunk movement. Bearing?? accompanied by a whurrrr whilst driving.
bluemalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 10:28   #5
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
Sounds like your lower engine mount "dog bone" mount on the bottom of the engine.
Cheap enough and DMGRS stock them.
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...g-zt-kkh101383
What he said. I obtained what was described as a 'modified' genuine MGR (Chinese) unit off DMGRS - the upgrade was a redesigned/improved rubber cush (doughnut), it's been in about two years now, no problems.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 12:10   #6
bluemalbert
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

What do you reckon to the rear wheel movement? Both wheels the same - is this in the design. H/brake on, can move the wheel 5-8mm either direction! Brake caliper does not move - well anchored correctly.
bluemalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 12:14   #7
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

sounds like the lower engine mount or possibly lower wishbone rear bush
Old 2nd October 2016, 12:38   #8
KeithA
Loves to post

Rover 75 Conny Tourer Auto

Suspect lower engine mount and you are unlikely to see that it has failed without removing it and levering the centre bush. Easy job.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Old 2nd October 2016, 12:46   #9
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

We've recently had the same issue and it turned out to be the exhaust (which had rotted through)
Old 2nd October 2016, 18:56   #10
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

We had a similar issue, it was the gearbox, the n/s driveshaft was loose in it - hold the driveshaft as close to the gearbox as possible and try to move it up and down. Check its not loose there. It was making horrible clunks when using the clutch and rocking the car back and forth. Swapped the gearbox out for one on ebay and its all good now. In effect it was as if it had slack and letting the clutch up took it up and made the clunking noise.
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote