Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th November 2017, 18:14   #1
mkellerman
Regular poster

MG ZT

Default Easiest way to get radiator hoe off to change coolant

Today I wanted to change my coolant, but when I went to take off the lower radiator hose to drain it, I didn't find an easy way to get access to it from the bottom of the car.

I am doing this at the side of a road and I do not have axle stands, so I am just wondering the easiest way to get access to this hose.

Can I get access from the offside wheel arch using the access panel for changing the headlight bulbs?

If I take the front bumper off, will I be able to access it? Looking through the radiator grill, it looks like the cooling fan might be in the way--I cannot see clearly.

Any idea would be appreciated!

Last edited by mkellerman; 10th November 2017 at 18:22..
mkellerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 22:10   #2
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Hello again.
If you take the front bumper off that should give you the space underneath to get at the clip that holds the hose on. Get a washing up bowl or large roasting tin ready to catch the coolant though
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2017, 20:39   #3
mkellerman
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeupname View Post
Hello again.
If you take the front bumper off that should give you the space underneath to get at the clip that holds the hose on. Get a washing up bowl or large roasting tin ready to catch the coolant though
Thanks for that! I'll probably do that then. It will also give me a chance to see whether there has been any previous crash damage plus I might be able to align the bumper better when I put it back on again.

Thanks again for your help!
mkellerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2017, 10:31   #4
drewbie
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club SE 1.8T 03 plate.

Sounds a bit extreme to take the bumper off to remove the lower rad hose. I would strongly advise investing in a trolley jack and axle stands if you are going to self service.
drewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2017, 11:40   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I changed the anti-freeze in mine last year.

I took off the under tray and the job was very easy.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2017, 12:03   #6
Brillebruder
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8 ltr

Mine was even easier as I dont have a under tray to start with!
Old 12th November 2017, 12:10   #7
dbt01
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbie View Post
Sounds a bit extreme to take the bumper off to remove the lower rad hose. I would strongly advise investing in a trolley jack and axle stands if you are going to self service.
Yes, no need to take the bumper off at all. Undertray will have to come off, that's all. The hose sometimes sticks on the metal pipe of the rad even when the hose-clamp is fully loosened. Lots of tugging and 'tempting' will work (and shoot coolant all over your arm!)
NEVER stick your head under a car which is not properly supported on axle stands or on drive-on ramps ... never!

David
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 06:21   #8
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 in Wedgwood Blue

I assume you've removed the air intake assembly to maximise your access from above? Since you're going to be letting fluid out of the system it makes no difference if you disconnect some of the other hoses to improve access to the lower ones further. However you do need to be above a certain height to then bend over into the gap.

If that's not your thing then I've also had reasonable success with disconnecting the leading edge of the undertray just enough to pull it down for access. Only drawback with this is that the water coming out of the hose does tend to go all over you!

Conformity is not morality.
Consensus is not truth.
Lord of Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 16:33   #9
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Good advice here. I only suggested removing the bumper because the op said he didn't have the equipment to lift the car, and it's a fiddly job getting the clips undone. I found it a lot easier to do when the bumper was off. But then again, I was changing the radiator too
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 12:21   #10
bluemalbert
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Hog View Post
I assume you've removed the air intake assembly to maximise your access from above? Since you're going to be letting fluid out of the system it makes no difference if you disconnect some of the other hoses to improve access to the lower ones further. However you do need to be above a certain height to then bend over into the gap.

If that's not your thing then I've also had reasonable success with disconnecting the leading edge of the undertray just enough to pull it down for access. Only drawback with this is that the water coming out of the hose does tend to go all over you!
Another little tip which helped me is once the air cleaner box is out of the way, try to move the clip on the bottom hose round(from underneath) so that the release tabs are on top. this makes it SOOO much easier!
bluemalbert is offline   Reply With Quote