Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th May 2020, 09:59   #1
bluemalbert
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Unhappy help/Advice - alarm reset

MGZT Facelift 2.6
morning all - im hoping for some guidence here! Alarm sounding this morning for no apparent reason. No previous similar issues with this.

1. alam sounds
2. Key fob inactive.
3. internal master locking switch inactive.
Action taken:

1.Disconnect battery, both terminals.

alarm still sounds for a mo but then reduced to a clicky clacking sound! (technical term!) which has eventually died over the last hour.
2. Check plenums for water etc. Bone dry - no rain for 6 weeks!
3. Connect battery - Alarm sounds again.
4. Diconnect battery and disconnect sounder multiplug. remove sounder with view to a battery replacement.
5. Connect main battery again, still no fob action c/locking.
also, ignition on - dash lights dim so battery now on charge - in case flat.
With ignition on , no electrical activity at all, not even enough to activate the electronic boot switch. Battery totally fine at 10pm last night!

now the sounder is in the house its started clicking again!! Could it be flat sounder battery and warm house revitalising the battery a wee bit?

Only background worth knowing is that I replaced a seat cover last week so had the seat out and battery off for 2 weeks. no issues after, have driven etc. all good.
bluemalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2020, 11:40   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemalbert View Post
MGZT Facelift 2.6
morning all - im hoping for some guidence here! Alarm sounding this morning for no apparent reason. No previous similar issues with this.

1. alam sounds
2. Key fob inactive.
3. internal master locking switch inactive.
Action taken:

1.Disconnect battery, both terminals.

alarm still sounds for a mo but then reduced to a clicky clacking sound! (technical term!) which has eventually died over the last hour.
2. Check plenums for water etc. Bone dry - no rain for 6 weeks!
3. Connect battery - Alarm sounds again.
4. Diconnect battery and disconnect sounder multiplug. remove sounder with view to a battery replacement.
5. Connect main battery again, still no fob action c/locking.
also, ignition on - dash lights dim so battery now on charge - in case flat.
With ignition on , no electrical activity at all, not even enough to activate the electronic boot switch. Battery totally fine at 10pm last night!

now the sounder is in the house its started clicking again!! Could it be flat sounder battery and warm house revitalising the battery a wee bit?

Only background worth knowing is that I replaced a seat cover last week so had the seat out and battery off for 2 weeks. no issues after, have driven etc. all good.
I am not sure if this will be the issue, but check the fuse 31 (I think). My own BBUS (Battery Back-Up Sounder - your alarm) had corroded internally badly, without any sign of water in the plenum.

When I first got the car, the BBUS did not work (nor the headlight washers - which turned out to be the pump). However the remote locking didnt work properly either. The remote locking was repaired by a fuse replacement (31 I believe), but I do not know if the failed BBUS blew the fuse, and caused the secondary issue. So I wonder if you check the fuse for the alarm sender, would it fix your locking. The BBUS should operate normally I believe if it isnt faulty of course, and charge the battery.

Dont waste effort to replace the batteries, even if you can (they are sealed units), when you can get a replacement for some BMWs for £10-15 on eBay.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2020, 11:48   #3
bluemalbert
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

[QUOTE=clf;2812525]I am not sure if this will be the issue, but check the fuse 31 (I think). My own BBUS (Battery Back-Up Sounder - your alarm) had corroded internally badly, without any sign of water in the plenum.

When I first got the car, the BBUS did not work (nor the headlight washers - which turned out to be the pump). However the remote locking didnt work properly either. The remote locking was repaired by a fuse replacement (31 I believe), but I do not know if the failed BBUS blew the fuse, and caused the secondary issue. So I wonder if you check the fuse for the alarm sender, would it fix your locking. The BBUS should operate normally I believe if it isnt faulty of course, and charge the battery.

Dont waste effort to replace the batteries, even if you can (they are sealed units), when you can get a replacement for some BMWs for £10-15 on eBay.

Hi - ive got the BBUS off and checked inside, its pristine so no water, but could be faulty i guess.
Old 14th May 2020, 12:15   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Hi - ive got the BBUS off and checked inside, its pristine so no water, but could be faulty i guess.[/QUOTE]

My suggestion is not a definitive solution, it is a hunch that I have.

BBUS becomes faulty, blows the fuse, then as it is linked on my car to the central locking, that too fails. (just checked, on my car which is a facelift ZT, the fuse that failed was no.36 - I actually found it was blown, as in desperation, I removed and checked ALL of the fuses. Once replaced with a good fuse, I had to disconnect the battery for it to become fully operational again.

As I said, it may not be your issue, but it would rule out the fuse anyway (as well as dispel my hunch, and it is free to find out lol).

Old 14th May 2020, 12:28   #5
bluemalbert
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

The plot thickens! I have replaced the main car battery, the cent locking has started working. The BBUS is still in the kitchen! all fuses are good,
Old 14th May 2020, 12:43   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
The plot thickens! I have replaced the main car battery, the cent locking has started working. The BBUS is still in the kitchen! all fuses are good,
Start the car, and then switch off, does it still work? When I disconnected the battery, the remote locking would work (central locking always worked when using the console switch), once, until the car was started, and then failed again. post 32 on another forum is where I discovered my answer.

Last edited by clf; 14th May 2020 at 12:45..
Old 19th May 2020, 22:48   #7
bluemalbert
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

So, in continuation, the car has run fine since the last post with the BBUS box off the car. When I try to refit it, on connecting the plug, the alarm sounds. Is there a protocol to refit the sounder does anyone know?

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk
Old 20th May 2020, 01:27   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
So, in continuation, the car has run fine since the last post with the BBUS box off the car. When I try to refit it, on connecting the plug, the alarm sounds. Is there a protocol to refit the sounder does anyone know?

Yes.

You disarm the alarm before removing the siren, or apparently it will not go silent until the built in batteries die. When reconnected it will start wailing again (as you have found out) - as it has a power source.

Replace the unit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-E36-A...gAAOSwh7tcRz-j

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E65-E....c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Mini-...wAAOSwMtxXvGSE

others are available HERE

It is the one that looks the same as your own. The BMW items from what I can gather are well protected and will likely work fine.

Incidentally, this was how mine looked when I opened it up after removal. From the outside it was dry and clean, and no obvious signs of water ingress in the plenum.

Does the central locking still operate, after the battery replacement?

Old 20th May 2020, 09:17   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:

The protocol I followed was lift bin lid, throw BBUS into bin, and then close lid. Job done.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2020, 11:56   #10
bluemalbert
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Yes.

You disarm the alarm before removing the siren, or apparently it will not go silent until the built in batteries die. When reconnected it will start wailing again (as you have found out) - as it has a power source.

Replace the unit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-E36-A...gAAOSwh7tcRz-j

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E65-E....c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Mini-...wAAOSwMtxXvGSE

others are available HERE

It is the one that looks the same as your own. The BMW items from what I can gather are well protected and will likely work fine.

Incidentally, this was how mine looked when I opened it up after removal. From the outside it was dry and clean, and no obvious signs of water ingress in the plenum.

Does the central locking still operate, after the battery replacement?
Ok. but the differences are:
1. The siren box is pristine inside - as new.
2. The alarm must be disarmed as the lights are not flashing and the immobiliser is not actioned
3. the battery on the siren box BBUS has dead batteries
But it still wails when connected.