Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th February 2021, 14:32   #1
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Thumbs up Engine Repair Centre -prevalence of a certain high end marque.

You will see on the Technical pages my low compression saga . When i went to the engine repair centre i was waiting in the yard and noticed of the 8/9 cars waiting to be repaired 4 were newish BMW's - 15,16,17 reg's . When i went into the workshop there was another BMW car being worked upon so striking up a conversation with the boss i asked whether they had an arrangement with local BMW garages to do engine repair. Answer - "No they are just sh** , especially the diesels"

When i went back to collect the car I asked the same question to one of the mechanics about why so many BMW's in the yard and got pretty much the same answer. Did not see any other high end German marques at all .

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2021, 19:59   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Diesel owners here do not appear to have the same opinion as I don't seem people rubbishing their diesel engines

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2021, 20:29   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Diesel owners here do not appear to have the same opinion as I don't seem people rubbishing their diesel engines

macafee2
The M47R used in the rover is a very good unit, the variant fitted into the BMW had swirl flaps in the manifold which tend to get ingested by the engine.
Old 8th February 2021, 20:37   #4
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

I am not 100% sure but I believe that there were major problems with one of the BMW engines that had the timing chain at the rear of the engine block which when it went it destroyed the engine.. so it was a new engine every time.
But as I say not 100% certain.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2021, 21:49   #5
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Pro rata bmw have quite a bad reputation for various things. Even some of the alloy wheels that were fitted to them. They were buckling, and bmw said it was because the owners were hitting curbs and such like. Lies. They were forced to hmm agree that they were a ‘bad’ batch. Yes. We all know about bad batches and what it really means.
Old 8th February 2021, 22:00   #6
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

From what I have been told by friends in the trade timing chains are little better than the belts that were fitted a few years ago. They have in some cases made them last about the same mileage and because the intervals between oil changes is crazily long there lubrication is marginal.

The other problem is some of the German stuff it so complicated to replace the chain the bill can often be close to the value of the car when it is 7 or 8 years old. I was told about an Audi that needed a new chain at 60k and the final bill was close to £6k, luckily it was an S6 so the cars value justified it.

One trader I know wont touch newer BMW's, Audi's or Merc's even though they are popular because he reckons the warranty problems often destroy any profit, the older stuff that was made 10 years ago is in his opinion a safer bet. He got caught with a BMW 335i recently that needed a set of injectors and that was over £1200 in parts alone. In Germany a lot of cars are scrapped a lot sooner than they are here for two reasons, there version of the MOT is a lot stricter and because they are generally better off they can afford to buy a new car.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2021, 23:07   #7
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

My lads 2006 335i, which has been swapped between him and me twice now has had many claims under warranty. Luckly the extended BMW warranty is still rolling on a monthy premuim. This warranty is not cheap working out at over £1000 a year but has been used most years, the mileage now nudging 110k. Over the period of ownership (both of us) 2013 ongoing we know we have not lost money on the warranty use. That it has covered all issues bar the air in tyres (so far) is still not a good advert for the car, rather the warranty company Modial. This warranty is bought through the BMW dealership network after the original main dealer warranty period has lapsed. That all said what 2006 complex twin turbo car is not giong to have issues, even not so complex beasties!
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2021, 07:05   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Well I bought a car fitted with an N47 engine, the car had been misdiagnosed as requiring a new turbo when in fact the MAP sensor was blocked with crud

Anyway the service intervals are 16000 miles or two years, the car has had an annual oil change at least in the past owners care.

I'm going to replace the timing chains in the near future as on cold start there is a 1/2 second rattle before the tensioner takes up, but in terms of driveability the car is streets ahead of it's predecessor.

The car has an "they all do that" attached to it in the same way as the k series with HGF, but just like the K series there is a reason, usually owner neglect for failure.

Talking of timing chains, the guides and tensioner have been modified, so in conjunction with real oil change intervals, I expect this to be the fit and forget for the next 120,000 miles.

All cars have maintenance requirements, and that is the reality of life.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2021, 12:04   #9
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

The N47 engine had the bad timing chain guides. This engine stopped being used in 2014. Very good engine providing the timing chain guides have been replaced. They can easily get to 230+ bhp without any modifications other than a remap.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote