Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th February 2021, 23:00   #1
bandayho

rover 75

Default Help needed, can not start car

hi i have a rover 75 CDT, it is a 2002 model and been in my family from new, i am only the second keeper.
i do my best to keep her going, and it is used daily. a few days ago we had heavy snow, i was low on diesel. i started the vehicle drove up a hill then down the other side and it took no more than 3 minutes then the car stopped, i have not been able to get it to go since.
i put another 15 litres of diesel in, the car turns but does not fire up, so much so i drained my battery, so i have now recharged that and put it back in the car, i took off the large pipe that goes to the EGR and sprayed easy start, i got my son to turn it over and it sounded like it fires up nut only if i keep spraying easy start.
i have read on here it could be a sensor, i dont think it is the crank sensor, as when i turn it over the rev counter jumps. i have read it could be the cam sensor, but they are expensive, could it be anything else, or should i change the cam sensor to begin, i can hear my fuel pumps run.
i would appreciate any help or advise please. i live near folkestone.
thanks
bandayho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 00:57   #2
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

try putting this in the technical help forum as it wont get noticed much in here and maybe someone will be along to help !
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 11:40   #3
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

A wee bump, can anyone help
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 11:54   #4
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Firstly if she starts with easy start i doubt its the cam sensor - if the sensor is goosed the ECU will not let the engine fire so no amount of easy start would help.

Am sure a diesel expert will come along but i would consider doing an injector leak back test for a faulty/failing injector which does seem to occur on the diesel.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 14:48   #5
bandayho

rover 75

Default help, i know you know the answer

thanks, i took the pipe that supplys fuel to the injectors and placed it in a bottle turned the engine and fuel came out, but no fuel cam out my injectors so i think they are ok,

and i have been told there is two type of cam sensors so i am not sure which one to get and try,

i am not sure if its related but my drivers window switch now does not work, from the same time.
Old 14th February 2021, 14:49   #6
bandayho

rover 75

hi i am not sure how to post this on tech forum, i have never osted anything before
Old 14th February 2021, 16:06   #7
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandayho View Post
hi i am not sure how to post this on tech forum, i have never osted anything before
You're ok, I moved the thread
Old 14th February 2021, 16:11   #8
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Have you looked at this thread?
Old 14th February 2021, 16:16   #9
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
thanks, i took the pipe that supplys fuel to the injectors and placed it in a bottle turned the engine and fuel came out, but no fuel cam out my injectors so i think they are ok,

and i have been told there is two type of cam sensors so i am not sure which one to get and try,

i am not sure if its related but my drivers window switch now does not work, from the same time.
If your car is starting with easy start you can discount the cam or crank sensor - if either of these are faulty / failing the engine will not be spark as the ECU without a signal from these sensors will not allow the engine to fire.

As your engine is firing I would still do a leak back test - you only need one failing injector to prevent you starting.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 18:29   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... I took off the large pipe that goes to the EGR and sprayed easy start, i got my son to turn it over and it sounded like it fires up nut only if i keep spraying easy start.
Hello George,

I'm no diesel expert but I think that you're right to suspect the camshaft sensor. RAVE says that its signal is required to achieve proper fuel injector synchronisation during starting. Since your engine partially responded to the application of Easy Start, that would suggest that normal fuelling is being inhibited.

Simon