Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th July 2021, 12:26   #1
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default Hypothetical Caliper Upgrade

A previous owner of my ZT obviously got busy with the Dulux one weekend and painted all the calipers red and I quite like that look. Spotted a TF the other week with the MG branded 4 pot calipers, which got me wondering...
  • Is it possible to fit these 4 pots to a ZT?

• If so, what's required - apart from the obvious pair of calipers and pads?

The question is purely hypothetical at the moment, as I'd only be after the upgrade for primarliy cosmetic reasons rather than wanting to stand the car on its nose every time I tickled the brake pedal. Another factor to consider is a single reconditioned one on eBay wouldn't give me much change from £300 and I've probably got more important things to spend that money on first.
Old 15th July 2021, 18:38   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

You've sort of answered your own question yourself.-----Would be a bit of a waste of money as the calipers you have can already lock the wheels and you can't do better than that.------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2021, 19:01   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattonEnder View Post
A previous owner of my ZT obviously got busy with the Dulux one weekend and painted all the calipers red and I quite like that look. Spotted a TF the other week with the MG branded 4 pot calipers, which got me wondering...
  • Is it possible to fit these 4 pots to a ZT?

• If so, what's required - apart from the obvious pair of calipers and pads?

The question is purely hypothetical at the moment, as I'd only be after the upgrade for primarliy cosmetic reasons rather than wanting to stand the car on its nose every time I tickled the brake pedal. Another factor to consider is a single reconditioned one on eBay wouldn't give me much change from £300 and I've probably got more important things to spend that money on first.
I have never heard of it being done before, but thought they were simply not big enough lol.

Buy some MG stickers, apply, and spray VHT clear lacquer onto them.

Sandblast, clean and refurbish of the calipers prior would be beneficial if they havent been done.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2021, 09:06   #4
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

That's definitely answered it. That one's not even going on the back burner. I'll get the existing set cleaned up and repainted at some point.

The main reason for asking was to see if I could get a nice big fat pair of calipers showing through the rims. Maybe more Max Power than MG. Like I said, purely hypothetical

Any further fixes and upgrades will have to wait now, as the daily Mundaneo has just failed the MoT...
Old 16th July 2021, 19:23   #5
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

I looked at putting these onto my 25 but they weren’t a straight fit and you had to bodge a bracket to make them fit and it’ll be the same for the zt.
If you want to upgrade the brakes fit a set of callipers from a 190. The disc size is smaller for those tf calipers than the 190’s anyway. They’re designed to stop a car which weighs half a ton less.

If you want an easier conversion and have access to a milking machine and suitable material you could find a pair of radial mount calipers and bolt these with adaptors to your standard hub. If not, it wouldn’t surprise me if something like a e46 3 series have the same mounts so maybe one of the juicer engined cars have some larger calipers. You’ll also have to spend time looking to see if there is a suitable disc for the car, like wheels they have offsets and various thicknesses so it isn’t even straightforward finding a workable setup.
But all being said, if your getting brake fade on normal roads your obviously driving like a lunatic or you’ve chosen poorly for a track day vehicle.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote