Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th September 2021, 23:56   #1
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Default Multimeter Joint Buy?

Evening members

With our cars getting old, there is often a need to measure voltage, current and resistance as part of fault-finding or confidence building activites. Although cheap multimeters can be purchased from around £7, they often lack quality and the test leads usually do not last long being of very poor quality - more plastic than rubber covering.

There is then the problem of knowing whether the item you receive is actually giving a reasonably accurate reading as it will be a cheaply produced unit with little or no post-production testing. There is nothing to say that the one you have received is not faulty and therefore producing misleading readings.

Following a currently live thread, I have looked into the purchase of a reasonable quality auto-ranging DVM with a good enough spec for routine tests on cars. The meter in question is this auto ranging unit. https://www.amazon.co.uk/goods4less-.../dp/B01L62MECM

If there is sufficient interest I can purchase a set, test for accuracy against my Fluke DVM as a reference and then post onwards. Provided a minimum of five people are interested this can be done for a total cost of £18.00 per unit including the onwards posting.

I am assuming this is within the club rules. If not, I am sure the mods will let me know and delete the thread (in which case my apologies in advance and thank you).

If you are interested and are giving a gentleman's commitment to pay up after I have purchased and tested the units, please add your name below.

I have no intention of running a business so this is a one-off offer to help members and will close at midnight on Thursday 23th September 2021 in order that anyone who is interested does not face an excessive wait before knowing whether this is a viable route to getting a DVM.

DVM Spec sheet attached for your perusal. Duratool-D03124.pdf

On reflection, I think this should probably be in the general section.

Last edited by MSS; 22nd September 2021 at 12:10..
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2021, 09:32   #2
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Evening members

With our cars getting old, there is often a need to measure voltage, current and resistance as part of fault-finding or confidence building activites. Although cheap multimeters can be purchased from around £7, they often lack quality and the test leads usually do not last long being of very poor quality - more plastic than rubber covering.

There is then the problem of knowing whether the item you receive is actually giving an accurate reading as it will be a cheaply produced unit with little or no post-production testing.

Following a currently live thread, I have looked into the purchase of a reasonable quality auto-ranging DVM with a good enough spec for routine tests on cars. The meter in question is this auto ranging unit. https://www.amazon.co.uk/goods4less-.../dp/B01L62MECM

If there is sufficient interest I can purchase a set, test for accuracy against my Fluke DVM as a reference and then post onwards. Provided a minimum of five people are interested this can be done for a total cost of £18.00 per unit including the onwards posting.

I am assuming this is within the club rules. If not, I am sure the mods will let me know and delete the thread (in which case my apologies in advance and thank you).

If you are interested and are giving a gentleman's commitment to pay up after I have purchased and tested the units, please add you name below.

I have no intention of running a business so this is a one-off activity.

DVM Spec sheet attached for your perusal. Attachment 86128

On reflection, I think this should probably be in the general section.
Good morning Maninder,
Could you add me to the your list.
Thanks.
David
DRWMGTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2021, 09:39   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Just to clarify, the £18 would be the total cost i.e. it will be the total cost to the member including the multimeter and the onwards tracked postage. My services are free.

As an alternative, I will look at a non-autoranging equivalent to address personal preferences. If anyone is interested in the non autoranging alternative, please state this when replying. You can assume the same total price.

Last edited by MSS; 21st September 2021 at 17:04..
Old 21st September 2021, 10:37   #4
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Hi Maninder,

Please book one for me too.

Many thanks,

Martin
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2021, 13:00   #5
paulonsite
Loves to post

ZT CDTi Auto

Yes please, add me to the list.

Please PM me with payment details when you're ready?

Thank you!

Paul.
paulonsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2021, 16:36   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

It says only 2 left in stock.--I wonder how long it takes to get re-stocked.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2021, 17:06   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
It says only 2 left in stock.--I wonder how long it takes to get re-stocked.---

I am going to purchase them from an electronic components supplier that we use at college for stocking up the labs. Otherwise I would be making a circa £8 loss on each one. I like most of the membership but not that much!

How many would sir like?
Old 21st September 2021, 20:22   #8
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Hi Maninder,

If you've picked up on the other multimeter thread you'll have seen that my cheapo meter from Maplin's closing down has died. And much as it's nice to be able to use my neighbour's one it's good to have your own .

So, yes please. Add me to the list.

Thanks.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:23   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Default Manual Ranging Alternative

It appears that some members have a preference for a manual ranging DVM rather than auto ranging.

You can choose to have one of these as a manual alternative.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133765288...iABEgKl-_D_BwE

The cost remains the same at £18 including postage onto yourself. As this meter comes without the PP3 battery, I will happily order and fit a new one if you so wish - the additional cost is £2. So a total of £20.

The spec is attached herewith for your perusal.

Please indicate clearly if you require this as opposed to the auto ranging one. By default, you will receive auto ranging.

Also, this opportunity will close Thursday night so that I can place the order on Friday and hopefully post to members by the end of the following week.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Duratool-D03144.pdf (641.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 24th September 2021, 10:14   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Default Opportunity now expired

Gents above - the meters are now ordered. I will be in touch next week by PM.

You can PM me your addresses anytime. Payment will not be necessary until you have received your unit and decided that it meets your expectations. If not, just send it back.