Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th September 2021, 11:10   #1
Kamil93
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default CDT low power problem

Hello all,

I have a long term trouble with power of my 2000 CDT. I use the car for 4 years, the problem with low power under 2000revs was there since I bought it.

Since that, I have changed intercooler O rings for vitton ones. Changed the MAF for genuine Bosch (which was the only one significant improvement). I was pretty satisfied with the performance by this time for about 2 years.

Now the problem is back. No power low down until the turbo kicks in. I have cleaned, changed and disconnected the EGR. Put on another perfectly cleaned manifold, cleaned the MAP sensor. Changed the O rings again. Checked EGR big hose - no splits visible. In the end, I replaced another new MAF.

The problem still persist. The regular maintenance is more than usuall.

If I unplug the MAF, the power is back, of course with a bad smoke indeed.

Any suggestions what to check please ? What do I miss ? I am out of ideas now.

Thanks !
Kamil93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2021, 15:16   #2
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil93 View Post
Hello all,

I have a long term trouble with power of my 2000 CDT. I use the car for 4 years, the problem with low power under 2000revs was there since I bought it.

Since that, I have changed intercooler O rings for vitton ones. Changed the MAF for genuine Bosch (which was the only one significant improvement). I was pretty satisfied with the performance by this time for about 2 years.

Now the problem is back. No power low down until the turbo kicks in. I have cleaned, changed and disconnected the EGR. Put on another perfectly cleaned manifold, cleaned the MAP sensor. Changed the O rings again. Checked EGR big hose - no splits visible. In the end, I replaced another new MAF.

The problem still persist. The regular maintenance is more than usuall.

If I unplug the MAF, the power is back, of course with a bad smoke indeed.

Any suggestions what to check please ? What do I miss ? I am out of ideas now.

Thanks !
Where did you source the MAF sensor from, are you 100%, it is a genuine Bosch one.?
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2021, 16:23   #3
Kamil93
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

The first one was from on-line autoparts. Looked perfectly genuine. Car was fine for some time. The current one is insert by DMGRS.
Old 30th September 2021, 17:21   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

How about the inter-cooler hose ??
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2021, 17:23   #5
Kamil93
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I checked that. No visible splits. Of course it doesn’t guarantee there arent any. It’s my last idea. But dont want to throw money on it yet.
Old 30th September 2021, 17:32   #6
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Have you re-checked the turbo lower seals since they were fitted?, They have been known to "Pop" out if not fitted correctly.. Search Artic's How to on fitting them.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"

Last edited by Number 6; 30th September 2021 at 17:35..
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2021, 17:57   #7
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Surely you have found the problem yourself - you say that now if you remove the connection to the MAF the power is restored but with more smoke. This shows the MAF you are using is faulty and needs replacing. If the one you have was bought recently from DMGRS have a word with Matt and ask for a replacement because it is faulty.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2021, 20:55   #8
Kamil93
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Have you re-checked the turbo lower seals since they were fitted?, They have been known to "Pop" out if not fitted correctly.. Search Artic's How to on fitting them.
Yes, I have rechecked. It’s tight. I know that already, dont ask me how I know
Anyway, thanks for your input.
Old 30th September 2021, 21:00   #9
Kamil93
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
Surely you have found the problem yourself - you say that now if you remove the connection to the MAF the power is restored but with more smoke. This shows the MAF you are using is faulty and needs replacing. If the one you have was bought recently from DMGRS have a word with Matt and ask for a replacement because it is faulty.
Yeah. But I just dont want to believe that. You know, it’s a new part but it’s not guaranteed. I’ll have a talk with Dmgrs but any other ideas are welcomed.

FORGOT TO MENTION: I think the problem is much worse with engine properly warmed. On highway trips it’s much more seriously. Even now with lower temperatures. Could that be some clue ?

Thx
Old 1st October 2021, 12:24   #10
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil93 View Post
Yeah. But I just dont want to believe that. You know, it’s a new part but it’s not guaranteed. I’ll have a talk with Dmgrs but any other ideas are welcomed.

FORGOT TO MENTION: I think the problem is much worse with engine properly warmed. On highway trips it’s much more seriously. Even now with lower temperatures. Could that be some clue ?

Thx
All things being equal, my money is on the MAF being faulty, the fact that you say on disconnecting it power is restored etc etc... have a word the DMGRS, and get a new GENUINE BOSCH sensor, anything else, will soon fail.

When you replace it make certain to replace the air filter as well, again use a well fitting quality filter, this will afford the MAF max. protection from dust etc.
Do you have a water shedder in front of the air intake duct, under the slam panel, if not get one fitted, that will help prevent dirty wet air getting into the filter and then onto the MAF.

Last edited by grivas; 1st October 2021 at 12:28.. Reason: additional comment
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote