Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

View Poll Results: New MGR ANDROID
I would be very interested in having a New MGR Android 22 32.84%
I would be upgrading my existing MGR RADIOGUY unit 13 19.40%
Too much technology for me 4 5.97%
I would but the price is out of reach 37 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th June 2011, 13:10   #1
Radioguy
Banned

None

Default MGR Head Unit/On Board Computer with Android OS?

I have been thinking about how to word this but decided to keep it as simple as possible.

We are looking in to developing a unit with Android Operating system.

For those of you \that don't know what that is, it means that these new units would have an on Board Computer with APPS and Internet and programs etc....

The technology is out there and we have the means to provide them.

I Would love to hear from anyone that may be interested in these, The price is around $799.00 (Dollars)
Also a Vote in the Poll above... would be nice to aid in determining if we should pursue testing etc

For those that have head units and want to upgrade , we would of course come up with a program to do so , crediting your existing unit as we have done in the past...

I Will allow the photos of another type of unit with Android Operating systems to speak...

The Android works with a USB Wifi antenna (included from me) to tether to a wifi hotspot or phone with wifi hotspot capability for internet/data access. Similar to the existing windowsCE wifi hack but minus the hack part.... We will also offer a 3G modem that will require an additional data sim card with its own data plan from your cell carrier. Just like an android smartphone or tablet, access to the internet is necessary to make the most of the unit. in SOme cases you will be able to tether to your existing cell phone

They have Android MARKET Access
Video

http://autogpsdvds.com/index.php?rou...product_id=135

Last edited by Radioguy; 27th July 2011 at 22:25.. Reason: Add video Link
Radioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 13:43   #2
Starman
Posted a thing or two

03 CDTi Tourer Conn SE auto

Hi Sean. I think in all fairness and speaking only for myself. When my Hi line gives up the ghost I shall be looking at mounting my iPad or such into the dash connected to an amp. As the tablets are available now running iOS or Droid and allow calls, sat nav and everything else it will be cheaper buying a tablet and amp rather than a unit, ( and it IS a NICE unit to be fair), in the long run.
That's only my view mind and doesn't mean to imply that you are not doing a fantastic job and unswerving service.

Regards. Steve.
Old 18th June 2011, 14:09   #3
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

This is the headunit I have been waiting for!!

I started out trying to fit some kind of carputer over 4 years ago but could not buy complete or build something that I was happy with. This unit seems to tick all the boxes for me. The possibilities with Android are endless - OBD, music, video, internet, email, a huge choice of sat nav apps etc etc etc

I was thinking along the same lines as Starman for the past while i.e. fitting a tablet to the dash. There are a few vids on Youtube showing an in-dash iPad fitting. But I really want a radio and very few (if any) tablets have a built-in radio tuner. I know you can get radio apps but this means constant streaming (and cost!). I also want to keep the steering controls.

Outside of the tuner, the cost of fitting a good tablet with GPS, BT etc etc and the fabrication of some kind of fascia would be in the same ball park as this unit IMHO. This unit will hopefully be plug'n'play.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 14:20   #4
MARKUK
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 2.0 CD DIESEL

Nice looking bit of kit, however far too much to spend for what I need
And I have iPad & iPhone on board should I require extra functionality.

If money was of no concern though would buy one !

*** NO TMC MOD KITS AVAILABLE !! ***

See the TMC / RADIO VIDEOS HERE....

Send me an Email HERE….

Signup for Sugarsync HERE..

http://sincemylastcigarette.com/bann...GBP_5_dark.png

MARKUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 15:58   #5
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 v6 in firefrost red

lovely bit of kit, want one!!!!

but, like a lot of people i think, its the price.
handyjackdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 19:00   #6
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 v6 in firefrost red

Just been reading up on the android operating systems incars and found a report about a car, the roewe350 being developed last year in china being the first car to have the system in it, does anybody know whether it took off or not?

It also said it was using technology purchased from mgrover??!!
handyjackdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 19:28   #7
MisterTomez
Gets stuck in

'00 BMW 535i Auto M-Sport, '99 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto

An excellent idea, like the photos of it mounted in the BMW too...but the price is way out I'm afraid imo. Don't think many people will want to pay almost, in some cases, the value of their car for a headunit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Trimmed like a first class cabin on the Titanic...before it sank." ---------- "The LPG'd, civilized psychopath."
MisterTomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 20:36   #8
Radioguy
Banned

None

Well, I am going to try and stay neutral and NOT sell you guys on this

But as Objectively as i can say

1/. it is an upgrade in quality from the current factory
2/. There are regular patches to upgrade these

We will be offering a trade in value for those people that have units and want to upgrade to an on board PC

On Board PC's of much lesser quality than this (Chinese) have traditionally sold from $1000-$1500

I Understand well about the ratio of Cost to car value as well .. but MGR's are priceless !
Radioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 21:27   #9
Mr Edd
From the Horses Mouth

2012 Honda Oddessay and 1996 Ford Ranger Truck (Splash)

Sorry if this is slightly off topic... But how does this work with insurance? If the car gets written off (quite easily with the value of these cars) does the insurance company get to keep these units?

Edd
Old 19th June 2011, 09:54   #10
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

I would imagine its something you could negotiate at the start, or agree an fixed ICE value in the event of a write-off.

Id love this, but yeah $950 is a lot, and given that android tabs with this much power can cost $150 i wonder where the money is going. I realise they dont have 3G, amps etc, but even so.

To be honest internet is not compulsory, android functions fine without it, you just lose market and gmail etc. Apps can be side-loaded from USB or SD card. Google maps will go offline this summer, so navigation will still work.

The primary advantage of android (as long as it remains open on this device), is that you can change the apps to ones you prefer, rather than being stuck with the stock ones.

One question, which version of android is it likely to ship with? If its not at least 2.1 Eclair its a no go for me, 2.2 Froyo is really necessary to be honest, anything less makes this hardly more useful than the WinCE version because so many apps wont work on 1.6. I guess from the spec its using a Rockchip CPU?

Last edited by rovexCDTi; 19th June 2011 at 10:06..
rovexCDTi is offline   Reply With Quote