Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

View Poll Results: New MGR ANDROID
I would be very interested in having a New MGR Android 22 32.84%
I would be upgrading my existing MGR RADIOGUY unit 13 19.40%
Too much technology for me 4 5.97%
I would but the price is out of reach 37 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th June 2011, 10:09   #11
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Hi Sean
Completely off topic about this particular unit.
I sent you an email on the 13th June asking about the situation with my replacement DD.
I haven't had a response so can only assume you haven't received it.
If this is the case, can you please provide an alternative email address or some way to contact you outside of the forum.
Thanks,
Mike
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 10:19   #12
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

i think a great idea but I take a recent sale of a car with a double din unit- the car sold for £1000 and he probably paid about £350 for the double din unit.

I can't understand why someone would pay a third or even more of the value of their car for a head unit? But then that's just my opinion.

I have a pioneer unit which I have had for a few years in different cars and has a mosfet amp with 55X4 output- every time I have asked about sound output on these unit- no one has given me an answer, I can only think because no one knows.

I have an iphone which does everything this unit would do and more and have no desire to pay this sort of money especially when I would rather keep the dosh for when and if something needs done on the ZT.

I mean £600? (if i've got my calculations correct?) That could get you an extremely decent head unit, fantastic speakers from a well known brand and a small netbook!
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 10:34   #13
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

In fairness, a good quality tab with these capabilities is not far off £400 anyway, but that would have a capacitive screen and faster CPU. However the full dash integration is worth a lot.

This would basically be, with a 3G card, a 7 inch smartphone with Android. Little else is as capable, however the extra $800 they want over the cost of a similar screened and CPU equipped tab, plus a basic CD player, some buttons and an amp is steep, especially since Android is free, and WinCE isnt.

Ive paid more than the entire cars value before for a head unit, but it was a standard DIN unit, so had more resale potential.
Old 19th June 2011, 10:39   #14
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
In fairness, a good quality tab with these capabilities is not far off £400 anyway, but that would have a capacitive screen and faster CPU. However the full dash integration is worth a lot.

This would basically be, with a 3G card, a 7 inch smartphone with Android. Little else is as capable, however the extra $800 they want over the cost of a similar screened and CPU equipped tab, plus a basic CD player, some buttons and an amp is steep, especially since Android is free, and WinCE isnt.

Ive paid more than the entire cars value before for a head unit, but it was a standard DIN unit, so had more resale potential.
£400? You're talking less than half that for a decent tab with simiar spec... I paid £150 for one with built in 3g recently
Old 19th June 2011, 10:45   #15
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

I did say it would have a capacitive screen and better CPU.
Old 19th June 2011, 11:36   #16
rizel23
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 SE Dark Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
£400? You're talking less than half that for a decent tab with simiar spec... I paid £150 for one with built in 3g recently
what model was that please kieran?
Old 19th June 2011, 12:56   #17
Radioguy
Banned

None

Maybe I am wrong but I think may people consider this car a modern Classic and value is not really the issue ? and rightfully so... They are beautiful cars.
But isn't it more the "hobby-slash-love of the cars" than the value ?
Radioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 13:03   #18
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

I would say the ZT/75 is less of a commodity than say a Mondeo or even an Audi or VW. Its something to invest time in, not just a tool with a market value.
Old 19th June 2011, 16:08   #19
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
I have a pioneer unit which I have had for a few years in different cars and has a mosfet amp with 55X4 output- every time I have asked about sound output on these unit- no one has given me an answer, I can only think because no one knows.
Just to point out, 55x4 means nothing.

Most headunits from decent companies (Alpine, Kenwood etc) are branded as 4x50w, however come with a 10A fuse - which means the most it could draw is 144w at 14.4v (and you'd never spec a 10A fuse if that was the normal current draw), which is 4x36w... And of course no amp is 100% efficient, so if we assume 80% efficiency (which would be a real feat tbh) your looking at 115w, or 4x29w max, thats not even RMS... And thats not even taking into account the power for the screen, CD mech etcetcetc.

Most HU's put out 4x~18w RMS, which is frankly rubbish. And that says nothing for the quality of the sound itself...

(only exception is some TOP end Alpine units which work at 16v internally to try get more power out of their amps, but still only 25w RMS ish)

I'd imagine the Chinese units will be marketed as 4x50w, but in reality will of course produce much less. If your worried about the sound quality, play back via your iPod as on pretty much all headunits (beside a few Alpines) the iPod's DAC is used leaving the HU less to do. Although I still imagine that the quality of the audio components will be nothing special (compared to a "normal" headunit).

Although I'm sure for having insulted it I'm about to get a wave of "well it sounds great to me playing my 128kbps MP3's on my stock speakers" posts...
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 17:01   #20
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Just to point out, 55x4 means nothing.

Most headunits from decent companies (Alpine, Kenwood etc) are branded as 4x50w, however come with a 10A fuse - which means the most it could draw is 144w at 14.4v (and you'd never spec a 10A fuse if that was the normal current draw), which is 4x36w... And of course no amp is 100% efficient, so if we assume 80% efficiency (which would be a real feat tbh) your looking at 115w, or 4x29w max, thats not even RMS... And thats not even taking into account the power for the

I'd imagine the Chinese units will be marketed as 4x50w, but in reality will of course produce much less. If your worried about the sound quality, play back via your iPod as on

Although I'm sure for having insulted it I'wave of "well it sounds great to me playing my 128kbps MP3's on my stock speakers" posts...
The pioneer unit I have with my upgraded speakers and wireing will definately be better sound quality I am sure. I agree about the whole 55x4 and we can get into the Rms and pmpo discussion but it's allows a typical comparison of head unit outputs. Call my a cynic but I'd rather spend my hard earned cash on a well know brand such as pioneer, alpine or Sony all day long against an unbranded unit... But hey that's just me