Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th June 2019, 23:38   #1
Jacinto

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Rover 75 1.8 in trouble

Ok, so I did not end up here for the best reasons.

I am not new to the Rover world. After two 213SEs, a 416 Tourer, two 400 HHRs, one 45 (and some older stuff like two Minis and a SD1 2600, and also more recently one 800 mk1), it was time for a 75 to arrive. It was kind of a rescue, as it was ready to go to a scrapyard after a HGF.

Fortunately, I was informed about it, and my dad was looking for a petrol 75 for some time. So, we ended up bringing him home.

It had no compression on two cylinders and there was oil in the coolant system and water on the oil. No news around here...

The liners seemed to be aligned and in good shape, so I ended up buying the N-series gasket, oil rail and bolts set. Everything was done by the book, and the engine ended up seeming very healthy... Except for the first time it worked after some time.

This, however, seemed like a fuel system issue, as if I turned the ignition on one time, then off and on again (always having the fuel pump working), it would start almost immedatly, otherwise it would require some time turning the engine with the starter motor for it to start.

But everything else was ok, the engine was as smooth as most of the 4 cyl K series I've driven, pulling much better than I expected (and my daily drive is a VVC converted 400 series), the engine temperature was always as it should.

I have a pscan unit, and the only fault it had was a cam sensor. I switched it for a spare one I had and the fault remained. Should have switched it with my 45 sensor, which I know that is working properly.

However, some weeks ago, my dad was on a B-road drive, and suddenly, the rear windows opened by themselves. And from this point on, strange things happened.

The engine started having some valve noise, and my father stopped immediately. When he did, the coolant was already expelled from the expansion tank, the radiator was cool on one side and hot on the other, but the temperature indicator was in the right place.

When he turned the key off, all the lights on the instrument cluster kept on, and even with the key off, the car kept on working.

Ok, so, are these two different symptoms or they might be somehow related?

I know the ECU might have been humid (I was hearing some water noise from the front on some bends or bumps), but I did not clean the drain pipes, so, my bad on this one.

But the heating problem... Is it just a coincidence? I can't see any relation, given it was an open road so there was no need for cooling fans, and they were working. Or is the temperature indicator linked to the ECU, unlike other Rover models?

Right now, the engine suffered with the heat. It has no compression on 3 of the 4 cylinders, and by this time the cylinder head is probably out, so I have to ask my dad if he already has some news on this subject.

After reading the error codes, besides the cam sensor, I had an catalytic converter error, and all 4 injectors had errors.

Thank you in advance.

Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 09:04   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

You're right André, regarding the electrical problems check that the ECM is dry and the drains are clear.

The engine might be overheating because Mr. Previous Owner put K-seal in it. The radiator shouldn't be hot on one side and cool on the other.

Simon
Old 19th June 2019, 10:23   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

How to monitor the correct engine temperature via the obd
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=55585
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote