Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th February 2020, 22:15   #11
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Me and my better half have been trailer tenting it for the last few years, and had some great holidays, but, unfortunately due to the on-set of time, bad backs, amongst other things, we have decided that a caravan is the way to go, hence my purchase of my diesel ZT saloon.
BUT.

All has not been well in the new car front for me unfortunately, and the ZT has and still is eating away at any attempt to save up for a caravan.
So, this year I was hoping to be our last in the trailer tent, and next year our first in a 'van. Looks like that will have to wait a while as no saving has been done so far!!!

What I'm building up to is this, I will be brand new to "vanning" where as my better half used to have a van years ago with her ex, what ever I do eventually purchase will have to be in the low budget area to begin with.
What does everyone recommend as a first time small van that we will enjoy?
I read lots about damp in vans, is it ever possible to get one thats a good few years old without?
When I do finally get one, how do I stop damp getting to it as it'll be stored outside?

Many thanks

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!

Last edited by Odd Job; 20th February 2020 at 22:18..
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 10:13   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Job View Post
Me and my better half have been trailer tenting it for the last few years, and had some great holidays, but, unfortunately due to the on-set of time, bad backs, amongst other things, we have decided that a caravan is the way to go, hence my purchase of my diesel ZT saloon.
BUT.

All has not been well in the new car front for me unfortunately, and the ZT has and still is eating away at any attempt to save up for a caravan.
So, this year I was hoping to be our last in the trailer tent, and next year our first in a 'van. Looks like that will have to wait a while as no saving has been done so far!!!

What I'm building up to is this, I will be brand new to "vanning" where as my better half used to have a van years ago with her ex, what ever I do eventually purchase will have to be in the low budget area to begin with.
What does everyone recommend as a first time small van that we will enjoy?
I read lots about damp in vans, is it ever possible to get one thats a good few years old without?
When I do finally get one, how do I stop damp getting to it as it'll be stored outside?

Many thanks

Alas damp is a major problem in the caravanning industry. Foreign vans may be better I don't know. Sounds as if you will require a motor mover for the van. You say small but a caravan is quite cramped and so if there is a choice I would recommend you consider a "4" berth van.

layouts, wow there's a hot topic. End bathroom, end fixed bed, double dinette etc. We prefer double dinette but that is by no means the generally preferred layout.
Facilities, microwave, gas and electric hot water, type of heating.
Do you get one with an electric stabilizing kit such as Al Ko ATC?

you don't need to spend a lot to have a good time but decide on what
facilities you want.

As for storing outside... a caravan port!

good luck

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2020, 17:53   #13
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Sounds as if you will require a motor mover for the van. You say small but a caravan is quite cramped and so if there is a choice I would recommend you consider a "4" berth van.
A mover makes manoeuvring so very easy, especially in and out of tight drives. I couldn't manage mine now without the mover.

If there are only two of you, a larger two berth will be more luxurious. My two berth manages to includes a beautiful, spacious bathroom and full cooker. It has either two long single beds, or a king size double. I would rather have that option than a fixed bed, which is wasted space during the daytime.

I saved a considerable amount of money, buying an insurance write-off, about a 1/4 the comparable price had it been undamaged. It took a while to repair, but worth it. Find a caravan recovery yard, have a good look around and see what you might be able to repair yourself at home.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2020, 14:31   #14
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

There are good older dry vans out there. Buy a cheap damp meter to check potential purchases.
Damp will get in around joints, most older vans are timber constructed frames with aluminium outer panels. The more joints the more potential for leaks, which is why modern vans have typically one piece sides, some plastic framed.

The joints will be sealed with a non setting mastic under things like awning rails and this can dry and crack with time. I resealed our last van which was an old ABI Dalesman 5 berth using new mastic which cimes on a roll with a peel off backing. I unscrewed the awning rails and removed them, cleaned off all old mastic then replaced, sealing with the new stuff. Simple enough to do (Stainless steel screws used during manufacture was a blessing), hardest part was cleaning off the old mastic. Similar process around window seals, skylights, road lights and the manoeuvreing handles.
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2020, 19:46   #15
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Towing season will not happen until late summer at the earliest this year, and by the time we are free to go caravanning, there will be nowhere to visit as all the sites will be full
Old 7th April 2020, 09:41   #16
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Towing season will not happen until late summer at the earliest this year, and by the time we are free to go caravanning, there will be nowhere to visit as all the sites will be full
Tend to agree Rich - I've more or less resigned myself to the next trip in the 'van being around end of March 2021
By then, I fear there may be less sites to choose from - I suspect that a number won't survive a full Summer with no income.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2020, 14:24   #17
daveconnolly
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

While I agree nothing is going to happen next couple of months.hopefully come middle to end of June the lockdown will be coming to an end.so we have just booked and paid a £50 deposit for 8 days at leadstone camping at dawlish in Devon. we have booked for July 11 for 8 days also seen on the SW region of this club in events section they are going to powderham castle vintage vehicle show.11 &12 July so booked in for this . Have just checked website for powderham castle and at moment show is still on will review middle of may.so to support the small campsites why not still book up and pay a deposit.as rich said you won't be able to book up if you leave it to late. Camp site has said they will hopefully be open by then.if not we will just change to a later date any body else from the north fancy coming down for a week it's a great campsite .cheak there web site.would be great to get a few of us going down in convoy.and meeting with SW members on the club's stand at the show
daveconnolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2020, 16:53   #18
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I've put my caravan back on axle stands. Disappointing, I fitted new tyres earlier this year, ho hum I wont be getting 5 years from them

Caravan holidays cancelled

macafee2
Old 7th April 2020, 21:37   #19
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I've put my caravan back on axle stands. Disappointing, I fitted new tyres earlier this year, ho hum I wont be getting 5 years from them

Caravan holidays cancelled

macafee2
I had booked a couple or so months ago, to go up to my favourite site near Guisborough for the 23rd March. The 23rd being the date this all began to really bite hard. I thought we would be as well there on an isolated farm keeping in semi-isolation, as at home. I even checked the day before that it was still OK to go there and it was.

It started to go amiss when I tried to couple up - the friction pads in the Alko had broken from their pins, but I managed to botch them enough to safely couple up. Towed all the way up there, began setting up, only to be met by the owner and told everyone had to be off site by that day. He said he had already had 40 cancellations for the summer, this on a maximum 5 caravan site.

So quick cuppa, pack back up and set off for home again. On the way home, on the busy A1, I heard what sounded like an occasional snoring noise from behind - just one of the dogs I thought and it not being safe to stop and check, I carried on. When I pulled up outside home, I spotted the jockey wheel had unscrewed itself down and rubbed half of the wheel away on the road.

I couldn't even get it off the road. Luckily, I managed to dig out an old wheel good enough to eventually get it up off the road. All now repaired

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2020, 20:23   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I had booked a couple or so months ago, to go up to my favourite site near Guisborough for the 23rd March. The 23rd being the date this all began to really bite hard. I thought we would be as well there on an isolated farm keeping in semi-isolation, as at home. I even checked the day before that it was still OK to go there and it was.

It started to go amiss when I tried to couple up - the friction pads in the Alko had broken from their pins, but I managed to botch them enough to safely couple up. Towed all the way up there, began setting up, only to be met by the owner and told everyone had to be off site by that day. He said he had already had 40 cancellations for the summer, this on a maximum 5 caravan site.

So quick cuppa, pack back up and set off for home again. On the way home, on the busy A1, I heard what sounded like an occasional snoring noise from behind - just one of the dogs I thought and it not being safe to stop and check, I carried on. When I pulled up outside home, I spotted the jockey wheel had unscrewed itself down and rubbed half of the wheel away on the road.

I couldn't even get it off the road. Luckily, I managed to dig out an old wheel good enough to eventually get it up off the road. All now repaired
That must have been frustrating I wonder if the owner was under orders.
I've seen the jockey wheel come down before, not on mine and about half was rubbed away.

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 12th April 2020 at 17:54..